+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Notification Error: Cannot Execute _____

New problem with my Saga. I get a repeated error where a window pops up. The title bar says "Notification Error" and the window itself says "Cannot Execute". I googled around a bunch, and this happens when there's a problem with some notification that's supposed to pop up. However, in EVERY case I found, it says "Cannot Execute FILENAME.EXE" (whether it's skype, phonealarm, whatever). Mine says NOTHING after "Cannot Execute."

So from what I understand, the phone is saying there's a notification error, because it can't execute a file that doesn't exist. Grr. Those other threads fix the problem by removing notification tied to the faulty exe, but I can't do that (obviously).

Any thoughts? I'm OK doing a hard reset, but would love to fix it otherwise if possible.

Thanks!

I also had this same problem and the only way I could fix it was to do a hard reset. I had called the tech support at Verizon and they could not figure it out either.

i tried using memmaid to rebuild the notification queue to no avail.

looks like hard reset is the only option.

I did the hard reset, and I think I figured out what the problem was... some crappy Holye PPC games I installed. After hard reset, I created a good Sprite Backup point, installed the games, and got the same error within a day. However, I also did the battery tweaks that are on this forum... so I restored again, but have neither installed the games nor done the battery hacks.

I'm assuming it's the games, since lots of people use the battery tweaks and haven't mentioned this problem... When I get brave, I'll re-do those as well and see what happens.

OK, so a couple months later and I realized that no specific program is the problem. I'll hard reset the device, reinstall everything, and then anywhere from 1 day to 4 weeks later, the same problem crops up again. And once it starts, it won't stop.

One experiment I did was this. I started getting the notification errors, and I began uninstalling EVERY program, one by one. After each time, I would wait, and each time the error would show up again. It never stopped, even when I had NO programs installed on the device. So I think the problem may be CAUSED by a program, but doesn't need that program there to keep happening.

I've also tried fixing the alerts with Pocket dbExplorer and Check Notifications. These will delete the alert that is currently showing, but won't stop new ones from popping up.

I did some battery tweaks each time after the hard reset, do people think that might be the problem? Any advice would be very much appreciated, as I'm sick of hard resetting every couple weeks.

A little bit more info from Check Notifications:

The Notify Type is CNT_TIME, and the error is always Active.
    The Application field is blank (hence "cannot execute ____").
    Event Type is NONE.
    Dialog Title is empty, as is Dialog Text
    Arguments are all AppRunAfterTzChange

Any idea what a TzChange is? That might help...

TzChange.eve = time zone change utility

ubiquitous windows DST/Time program. Has a nasty habit of setting off virus scanners n such. Maybe check the time/date settings on yours? Maybe you live near a zone line and the phone keeps grabbing signal from different towers?

I think you can't uninstall things to get a proper read- you need to hard reset and go from there to get a truly "clean" device.

that said- I'm not sure it's not a bug in the firmware.

Random. I live near Boston, and haven't moved across any time zones. Is there any way to disable that TzChange program? It seems pretty weird that that would set it off... But might explain why sometimes after a hard reset it goes 1 day without the error, and then other times 4 weeks.

One other random note: Everytime I hard reset the phone, it comes up with a "confirm your location" notification (you have to go into phone settings and locations to change it, but it's always correct). Maybe that has something to do with it?

In any case, thanks for the comments. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm just hard resetting, and it's a bit annoying.

jbroses - I'm having an identical issue with my Saga. Notification error - cannot execute without any exe file named.

When I first started seeing the error, I had some other apps installed and tried a few things with the wifi connection. I found the same articles you had and started uninstalling stuff without any luck. So I then did a hard reset and started over. This time I only installed the Verizon wirelesssync app for my email and nothing else. It worked fine for a week+ without the error, then it mysteriously appeared again one day.

I've tried to figure out what forces that error and think it may be something with the actual phone service. Every time I end a call or miss a call, that error is on the screen. Otherwise it may go for hours without displaying the error.

Besides the wirelesssync app, I have an IMAP email connection. Beyond those, the phone is completely stock. I'm leaning towards it being a bug with the firmware as michaelk said above.

BigTex - Though I'm comforted that I'm not the only person on earth to have this problem, I'm sorry you have to deal with it, too. It's fairly annoying.

For me, I have my broadband connection going a LOT, and make calls pretty infrequently, but I see this error a lot (when the device has decided to start doing this). I also get it the second I put in my password while the device is booting up.

I've done a hard reset and have a nice, clean install now, with a Sprite Backup. Haven't had the alert in a week, so we'll see... but next time it pops up, I'll try to analyze it as best I can to post more info here. If it's ALWAYS that TzChange, then maybe that will help troubleshoot.

Should we report this to Samsung/Verizon? Is there any way to do that so they'll actually pay attention? Would they even care?

Late last night i stumbled upon a registry entry or 2. I'm not having any issues, these are my settings. I've changed nothing.

u\\controlpanel\time\NITZUpdateTime = 1
    \UseGsmNetworkTime = 0
    u\\Software\samsung\phone\TimeZoneInit = 0
    and
    m\\Time\TimeZoneInformation = A HUGE string of binary. If you need it i can try to copy and paste.

The 3rd is the most promising...

I'm not sure Verizon or Samsung would care, but if there are others with the same issue (and I assume there are) then then higher number of complaints the more likely they would address the issue.

Upon further thought, I have reloaded Google Maps on the phone. The errors still pop-up even though google maps aren't loaded, but that is the only other thing that is installed besides the wireless sync application.

I may try another hard reset and leave google maps off of this install. Its frustrating because it takes a week or more for the issue to reveal itself.

BigTex, I gotta tell ya... I don't think it matters what programs you have installed. I went conservative for a little while, but the errors kept coming up. Right now I have an install with a TON of programs installed (including some big games), and have had no errors in a week.

One more note: One time I did a hard reset, got a perfect installation going, and then did a Sprite Backup. When it restarted from Sprite, it had this error, and they kept coming. I restored the backup and had no problems. Exact same configuration, two different results. Weird, huh?

My advice: Hard reset, make a perfect install of all the programs/configurations you want, then do a Sprite Backup. When you see the errors, just restore from there and back up again.

BTW - I've been using PIM Backup 2.8 to backup my SMSs, but they don't restore correctly in the threads. Any advice?

I guess I'm going to give your suggestion a shot - do a hard reset, install my stuff, and back it up. Then just restore each time the issue comes back.

Mine seems to be doing it anytime a real notification should happen - missed call, call ended, new message, etc...

Does yours ever have multiple messages layered on each other? There are times I have to click the OK button several times to clear out each separate notifications. In fact, I just clicked through 20 of them! grrrrrr

Oh, yes. Very much yes. Sometimes I would get so many that you could just click and click and click and click and they'd never go away. I'd have to soft reset. INCREDIBLY annoying. Let me know how it works for you! I hope it helps!

jbroses - did the issue ever reappear on your phone?

Yes! It's no magic bullet or anything, but here's what I did. I did a hard reset and then installed all my programs, slowly, one-by-one, with lots of soft resets in between. I got it configured perfectly, and then did a complete Sprite Backup. This is my "perfect" backup. Since, I've added lots of programs and a few times had some problems, and returned to that Perfect backup. It's been working great, and I haven't had this error appear ONCE since (though strangely I've had Notification Errors pop up a handful of times, but they've never been with the filename blank... these seem to go away and not to come back).

Here's the one thing that I REALLY think made the difference. I didn't do ANY of the battery saving registry tweaks. I don't notice too big a difference anyway, but I have a feeling that may be what was causing all the problems.

Aside from that, I love my "perfect" backup anyway. Whenever the phone gets a bit slow from too much adding/removing programs, I go back to that backup and it runs fast and smooth again.

Hope this helps!

It's a system flaw

Same problem happening to me despite multiple hard resets. I've read it's something to do with the Automatic Time/Time Zone updater, but I've not been able to find a way to disable that function. Does anyone know how to disable it?

This really sucks - screws up use of the phone - I have a Saga. MS and Samsung should be embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by jvsmagic View Post
    Same problem happening to me despite multiple hard resets. I've read it's something to do with the Automatic Time/Time Zone updater, but I've not been able to find a way to disable that function. Does anyone know how to disable it?

This really sucks - screws up use of the phone - I have a Saga. MS and Samsung should be embarrassed.
    go to phone dialer
    menu ->options
    services tab
    scroll down and select time
    hit the change settings button

feel free to uncheck the automatic timezone update.

let us know it it helps you when you try.

are you in Az or near a timezone border?