+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sprint 3G Announcement

From Reuters at 2:02pm EDT:

"CHICAGO (Reuters) - Sprint PCS Group is set to be the first U.S. wireless telephone company to offer customers nationwide the ability to easily check e-mail and surf the Web with cell phones, giving on-the-go Americans access to information that once kept them tied to their desks.

In what is considered by analysts a watershed for the U.S. wireless industry -- which lags behind Europe, Japan and Korea -- the No. 4 U.S. wireless company will announce the launch of its high-speed data service across the country on Thursday, according to industry sources.

In contrast to current data services, which are slow and have limited features, the new networks offer fast Internet connections. This allows users to download music and swap photos, even as they talk on their phones. Eventually, these networks will let customers watch video.

"Everybody has been waiting for what Sprint (PCS) does," said Jane Zweig, chief executive of wireless industry consulting firm Shosteck Group located in Wheaton, Maryland.

Sprint PCS, a unit of Sprint Corp. , will be the last of the national operators to launch a high-speed, data-capable network, but the first to offer it nationwide. Its rivals are rolling out equivalent services gradually on a regional basis.

Sprint PCS has kept a tight lid on details about pricing, phone models and other features ahead of the debut, but it is expected to begin an aggressive marketing campaign to win business customers and consumers. Sprint PCS shares were up 7 cents or 2.2 percent at $3.27 on Tuesday afternoon on the New York Stock Exchange ( news - web sites).

WAITING FOR SPRINT PCS

Budget-conscious business customers are waiting to see how Sprint PCS prices the service before committing in large numbers. Electronics suppliers are also ready to flood the market later this year with zippy new cell phones and handheld PCs that can entice office workers and consumers to subscribe.

Meanwhile, jittery investors have pummeled the shares of U.S. mobile carriers as they worry that the uptake for the pricey service will be slow, as happened in Europe and Japan.

The nation's top three wireless operators -- Verizon Wireless , Cingular Wireless and AT&T Wireless Services Inc. -- are poised to respond with lower prices and catchy services such as mobile text messaging, breathing life into an industry in which voice-calling alone has run out of steam.

Nearly half of Americans already own cell phones, and competition to steal customers from rivals has become fierce. Analysts expect wireless data competition to be just as intense.

"This is going to be a very interesting test of how hard they are going to have to market this stuff -- whether there's going to be a big pull from the consumer side or whether there's going to have to be a big push on the marketing side," said independent telecommunications analyst Jeff Kagan.

COMPETITORS PLOT RESPONSE

Rivals have already begun responding with promotions and partnerships in anticipation of Sprint PCS' new services.

Verizon Wireless unveiled a new flat rate price plan in May, allowing customers to spend as much time as they want on the wireless Web. Last week, it started a promotion in which customers can receive one-month free access to its data network when they sign a long-term service agreement.

AT&T Wireless also announced last week a partnership with Microsoft Corp., maker of the software used to run most office computers, to provide wireless service to corporate workers using mobile devices based on Microsoft's software.

Analysts said consumer acceptance of wireless data services will largely depend on the pricing of the service, quality of the network and the availability of devices such as cell phones, handheld PCs and PC cards for laptop computers.

Analysts say service quality is a challenge for Sprint PCS, whose current network is perceived to be of poor quality with frequent dropped calls indoors and difficulty sustaining signals in many metropolitan calling regions.

The new technology from Sprint PCS should improve the voice-calling quality, but even if it is also able to price the service attractively and provide sufficient devices, it's likely that consumers will adopt wireless data at a much slower pace than visionaries might hope.

UBS Warburg analyst Colette Fleming said she did not expect to see a significant number of customers sign up for the Sprint PCS service until the fourth quarter. Sprint and the others face an uphill road in getting customers to use the new data services.

"You have a very skeptical, cynical market right now," said Michael Doherty, senior consultant with market research firm Ovum, based in Boston.

Sprint is betting on pent-up demand among businesses, which its says are waiting for nationwide coverage to begin buying.

"They're going to come out with a wide array of new devices with a lot of applications," said Thomas Lee, a wireless analyst with J.P. Morgan. "Sprint's specialty is event marketing. They'll do a very good job of creating buzz and awareness." "<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

smartphonecentral.com
    Seems to be a natural that Sprint will introduce some new phones along with the service, but I doubt the I330 will be among them. Note that they already have some phones, like the super-slim Sanyo 6200, that are already compatible with the new network (at least for voice).
    New smartphone discussion board! :cool:
    :: Visit smartphonecentral.com today and start talking! ::

Administrator

Arrow

yeah they will probably release some voice only type phones bu no smartphones until they figure out which ones they want to sell.. i wouldnt hold my breath either!

but ill be on the look out for the "coming soon!" section on the sprintpcs page... which, by the way, they are upgrading to include the "vision" logon...

But they are releasing a smart phone with 3G launch. The Treo (smart phone?) is Palm OS based and will launch with 3G. More phones should be ready soon, 2032 and i330. But no dates yet.

homer

Just an FYI....

I stopped by the local Best Buy and talked to a "semi-knowledgable" salesperson.

He said that "the Kyocera 7135 is delayed because Sprint wants to charge $499 for the phone BUT Kyocera thinks that Sprint should charge a much higher price."

He said he hasn't heard anything about the I-330.

He thinks the next smartphone from Sprint will be the Treo.

Again, this is what a salesperson told me.

Administrator

Arrow

homey, i dont really think of the treo as a smartphone... call me silly...

but i should have made that clear.. thanks for keeping me on my toes...

Carl

Pretty bad when you are the first to reply to your own posting. A few comments on the press release.

1. There is no mention of the i300, the Bluechip or the 7135. The smartphone offerings seem to be the Treo and a Hatachi smartphone based on the PocketPC OS. Anyone know anything about it. At SRP of $799 it seems rather pricey.

2. I was glad to see 2 immediate offerings of PCMCIA laptop cards, one from Sierra (the 550) and one from Novatel (didn't they make those bag phones a few years ago?). It also looked like there is another data card to be release in a few weeks.

3. The pricing seems a little high. I wonder if that will change to do demand (or lack thereof). I would like to have a data card, but am not sure about how much data would I actually use in a month. If it was unlimited, I would probably use it instead of a landline in a lot of places, not sure it is worth $100/month. I guess I need to study the pricing a little more to see what is best for me.

4. Is anyone a little disappointed with this? Usually I run out and buy the bleding edge stuff, but I think with this I am going to sit on the sidelines a wait a little bit. One of my customers told me yesterday that he is defintely going to buy a few of the data cards to replace some of the 510s his company has for some of the traveling execs, so I will play around with his technology for a while. If I can get my hands on one, I will report back.
    Carl

~Kimberly
    Looks good, I am just waiting for the equipment!

I was concerned about the charge for actual megabyte usage, I had no concept of what I would use. This paragraph from the press release really helped me understand and eased my anxiety:

Here's one example of what an avid messaging user can do with two megabytes: send 100 e-mails and 150 Instant Messages and check out 100 Web pages as well as a few Games, Ringers, Screen Savers and Pictures. Heavy Web users, for instance, can expect to use two megabytes to browse 300 Web pages, send 20 e-mails and Instant Messages and download a few ringers, screen savers and games.
    I am with you, Carl, I am playing the wait and see game. Mostly because my phone of choice is not offered yet (Kyo 7135), but there is the also the unknown factor.

Kimberly
    Don't shake my tree if you don't like my peaches!!!

Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    Is anyone a little disappointed with this? Usually I run out and buy the bleding edge stuff, but I think with this I am going to sit on the sidelines a wait a little bit.
    Carl,

I'm with you. 2 MB is a joke. Send 100 e-mails? Nice, if you're not planning on getting any. Assuming equal get/receive -- that's 50 emails a MONTH. I do that in a week, sometimes a day.

Furthermore, the .jpgs posted earlier were a bit blurry, but it looked like the minimum plan for $49.99 had dropped anytime minutes from 350 to 250 - another joke. Right now I can download and upload 40 MB of emails (at slower speed, but for email who cares) using my n/w minutes without touching the 350. Under the new plan that 2MB applies no matter what time of day or night you use it.

Sprint is going to have to do a LOT better if they expect me to sign up for Vision, and I expect that many knowledgeable users will feel the same.

Lisa
    The Writers' Collective - no shared royalties, ever.
    www.writerscollective.org

$99 unlimited for business users from SPRINT

Did you guys notice down in the press release that Spriint will offer business users unlimited data usage for $49 for the first three months and $99 thereafter?

Keith

~Kimberly
    Originally posted by awriter

2 MB is a joke. Send 100 e-mails? Nice, if you're not planning on getting any. Assuming equal get/receive -- that's 50 emails a MONTH. I do that in a week, sometimes a day.
    [/i]
    Lisa, I was merely commenting on what 2MB gets you. I've not seen how many MB come with each package. I am assuming that it is well OVER the 2MB example.

Sounds like you have seen MB and voice minutes in each package. Mind sharing?

Kimberly

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    I picked up a brochure from Circuit city today, Here are the recomended plans for Smartphone users

8mb transfer
    could be 25 instant messages
    500 emails
    350 web pages

you also get
    voice command
    business connection
    long distance

750 anytime
    5750 night weekend
    8 mb transfer

1000 anytime
    7000 night weekend
    8mb transfer

1300 anytime
    8700 night weekend

additional 12 mb for 20 bucks

for all this you need a 1 yr agreement
    additional minutes 40cents
    additional kylobyte 2cents

In their press release they said 2000 anytime minutes for 89 bucks, wheres that huh

also Circuit City has a ilittle movie playing showwwing people sending thier pictures to their phones.
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

3G service...

Do I have to sign up for a 3G service plan if I have a 3G phone or can still buy the Treo300 or whatever 3G phone, and still use my existing regular Sprint service?
    Thanks

~Kimberly
    Thanks for the info, JAKE!

It is quite a bit higher than what I currently pay, and since WW minutes are no longer a factor I won't come anywhere close to using all those voice minutes. With my current plan 40% of my minutes are WW charges. Hopefully they will have packages with less voice minutes and lower rates.

Kimberly

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    Actually its Aaron, i just have Jake for President in my sign line

it all looks interesting, but i want to knwo when the phones are coming, i have fantasy football coming up soon and i need the access it would be niice on the 18th, draft day i have to be somewhere.

I am not getting the treo i need real battery life. i go through the 2 batteries on my i300 pretty often.

Aaron
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    homey, i dont really think of the treo as a smartphone... call me silly...
    lol, that's being pretty harsh on the Treo 300 Marc! To me the only smartphone of consequence is the Kyo 7135... but I would like to play with the Treo at a Sprint store some time next week.

Looks like Toshiba's 2032 Pocket PC phone ($800) may be a clone of the Audiovox Thera.
    http://www.pdabuzz.com/#newsitem1028828924,2613,
    Last edited by Makaveli; 08-08-2002 at 04:14 PM.

Toshiba's 2032 Pocket PC phone
    coooollll......... so have a third smartphone now for this round. How'd I miss that? Did they just announce that phone? Readin the release though infers that it won't be out until a 2nd round of implementations "in the weeks after that....". And if it is the thera in drag.... I'm still waitin for the I330
    .....beam me up Scotty...

Ah, has anyone ever done the math to find out if there even ARE 8700 night and weekend minutes in a month? Or for that matter, even 5750 in a month?

I read an article the other day which produced a great idea I thought: why not offer phones like the Treo, I300 (and 330) and the new Pocket PC phone (which I will consider dying for) at lower prices if consumers opt to sign not a 1 year but 2 year contract? Then they can market it to not only business people but TONS of other customers. Such as college students on the go like me, who are not home often, spend lots of time at school, would love a portable keyboard to write papers on the phone with, would love to listen to music on the bus and send pictures to my mom back home?

Corporate America should pull its head out of their ass.
    Sorry for the grammar.
    --
    if dreams are like movies
    then memories are films about ghosts