+ Reply to Thread

Question Upgrading the I300 to support 144kpbs?

For the last few months, I read some posts here that said that I will be able to apply a software patch or something to my I300 to allow it to take advantage of the new 144KB speed from Sprint's 3G network.

However, Sprint says that does not exist.

So, I guess I am stuck with 14.4kbps until I change phones?

So, what is the truth? I don't trust Sprint customer service. But, I think they may be correct on this one.

I never thought I could upgrade to 3G, but I did think it was plausible to speed up to higher speeds than 14.4...

-Jerry<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Napoleon Bonaparte Jr.

Hello

Intresting .

I think , you have to change the modem .

But speed up with software ... intresting .

That way we can speed up my cable modem to 10 megs ...

Unhappy

I am not talking about caching software.

I am super technical. I bought into the idea since it is plausible that the modem is much faster, but that it was held back by the Sprint network. A software patch may simply make it use newer technology.

I am certain people where saying you could get up to 144kpbs with the I300, but no higher when Sprint increased the speed above 1400kbps next year. For this, I heard you needed the I330 or other true 3G phone.

I fear, the posts I read where wrong. Too bad.

-Jerry

I am super technical. Thats always a good sign..

Napoleon Bonaparte Jr.

Hello

God Bless You

Please keep as informed

Administrator

Arrow

For the last few months, I read some posts here that said that I will be able to apply a software patch or something to my I300 to allow it to take advantage of the new 144KB speed from Sprint's 3G network.
    did you read this on this site? if so, point me to the link(s). we have had some folks ask about it but i dont rememeber anyone saying what you have posted..

bottom line is no the 300 will not be bale to take advantage of 3h speeds. it will be able to work on a 3g network but not use any 3g functions...

basically, the chipset in the 300 is not compatible with the new network. the 'modem' you speak of does not exist in the 300. the modem is located in the network.

so if you boght your phone in order to use it on the new infrastructure, you better take it back if you have time...

I believe the original poster is referring to one of ptorres' old posts. In his post, he said he went to some convention where Sprint was showcasing their 3G technology, he changed the connection setting to "wireless CDMA modem 140kbps" or something like that and said he noticed a rather significant increase in web surfing. Whether this actually works I have no idea but I think that's where this idea of the I300 being able to gain increased data speeds from Sprint's 3G network came from.

Yes there was a thread on changing the connect speed. Several tried it and noticed no speed increase. I searched around for it, but couldn't find it.

If I remember right, the thread concluded that the I300 simply isn't 3G compatible and there will never be any upgrade path. Gee, did they do that on purpose??

Yep, yer stuck...

Me, I'm waiting until the 2nd wave of phones come out...I330,7135,etc....

Although, I'll probably stop by Best Buy tonight, just to see what they have. Guess I better bring "the boss" with me to make sure I don't have a weak moment while staring at cool new toys. Those of you whom also carry around a Best Buy card probably understand. They hand you the cool toy, you hand them the plastic and all is well, then, the bill comes in a month later...Dang it!!

Administrator

Arrow

i doubt they saw in increase...

Marc,
    You are right. Different chipsets for IS-95 and 1XRTT. The would not even be able to use the new network.

homer

well, maybe, maybe not

I cannot explain it, but both a co-worker and I have noticed a slight speed increase on our i300s, when surfing, since Thursday's announcement. We did set our modems as described in that old append, when that append first came out.

Is this just coencidence?

Administrator

Arrow

what you may have saw was the extra speed in the 14.4k..

let me explain..

even though our phones say coneecting at 14.4, we actually only connect slightly slower than that, say, 11k or 12k. one of the advancements in 3g allows for more callers per cell and less dropped calls... its possible that the infrastructure has 'helped' that out some...

but in the end you will not be able to do a software upgrade to get the i300 to work and use 3g.

Thanks,

I have had my I300 for about 6 months. I did look for the old posts about the new modem settings, but never found them, so that's why I asked the question.

It makes total sense that it will not work. But, the posts I read seemed certain that speeds would increase.

I have wondered if new 3G network will help modem use, only because maybe they now have some more bandwidth available.

When I hook up my phone to my laptop and try to browse, I notice that I am not getting anything close to 14kbps.

Thanks for your responses.

By the way. I keep reading bad things about the Thera. I don't like the Pocket PC operating system, but at least it will nicely support video, mp3, etc... Our palm phones won't do that easily will they? And it does have memory expansion! That will help me a lot.

Well, I should put that in a separate post...

Thanks, all. At least I know I am not going crazy. (yet.)

-Jerry