+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Treo 300 or wait for i330?

Would you get the treo 300 or wait for the i330?

-jet

I've been using the i300 and just bought the treo 300. If you're into a combo phone/blackberry/pda, get the treo (which has a keypad and rocker switch). As a phone/pda, the i330 (basically upgraded i300) may be a bit more usable (no "clamshell" to open before using your pda, has a "home" key", stuff like that).

Would you get the treo 300 or wait for the i330?
    wait for the 330..... Handspring, in it's PDA-centric myopic view, has put a single fixed battery in the treo. If you don't like bein married to your charger several hours a day, better phones are on the way.
    .....beam me up Scotty...

In minutes used, my i300 is probably a "Palm" 80% of the time, and a "phone" 20%. As a Palm, I use it as a reader and browser - and particularly enjoy Jake's full-screen hacks. At any given moment I have 2-3 major business or technical documents loaded. After my initial i300 euphoria I've gotten reasonably efficient at loading material, and even have space for full books fiction and nonfiction. Also, I spend a lot of time on the web, again benefiting from Jake's work.

Though I'm a gadget freak that enjoys the latest and greatest, after examining the Treo I realized that it won't fit my habits - for two key reasons. First, it won't do full-screen because there is no graffiti area into which to expand. Second, reading a book with the backlight uses a lot of power, and the Treo just doesn't pack the punch without a cable. With the i300 it's trivial to swap batteries whenever I'm near a charger (there are several in the office as well as one at home).

To me, the only deficit of the i300 is the sunlight problem. Therefore, I'm waiting for the first full-screen unit that offers a reflective or transflective screen. I have heard NOTHING (even from PhoneScoop - the very best of sources) as to which smartphone will be first to offer this mature technology, but it appears on the Compaq IPAQ, the Sanyo 4900, and on new Panasonic ToughBook computers, so the world of smartphones cannot be far behind.

To me, the 'perfect' smartphone would be Palm OS, full-screen transflective display, swappable batteries (or nuclear), expandable memory, and a coffeemaker. Sounds like the i360... maybe.
    The older I get, the better I was...

Administrator

Arrow

so.. umm.. which one do you want?

until they come out with a good pocktpc phone, i'm just gonna wait for the i330.

plus the i330 is probably the sexiest phone for sprint to date.

hopefully it comes out with a PTT button....

-jet

A buddy of mine has the Treo 270 and constantly complains... i dunno. i just think that the Treo is just way too flaky....

I went and picked up a Treo 300 and upgraded to the 3G network. I have to say I am very pleased. My web pages load 4 times quicker than with the I300, plus I LOVE the keyboard. The screen is also much better supporting 4000 colors instead of the I300's 256. The screen is also bigger and brighter. I would be interested in hearing other comments and/or opinions.

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by hydro94545
    I went and picked up a Treo 300 and upgraded to the 3G network. I have to say I am very pleased. My web pages load 4 times quicker than with the I300, plus I LOVE the keyboard. The screen is also much better supporting 4000 colors instead of the I300's 256. The screen is also bigger and brighter. I would be interested in hearing other comments and/or opinions.
    have you viewed the other treo post here?

I am waiting for the I330 because us new england people need a dual band phone. Although the treo 300 is very appealing, it still is only single band!

Yes, I saw the post, just seeing if there is anyone besides me who actualy likes the treo and the 3G. It seems like I am the only one. I did see the review that one guy left. I am wondering what the I330 will have that is better then the Treo, besides the battery thing

besides the battery thing
    that's enough for me to wait...& hopefully the 3G dust will have settled enough for better plans to surface.
    .....beam me up Scotty...

hey y'all..so here's my 2 cents...i love my i300 but this is the second unit i've gone through...i've noticed a consistent deteriation in screen quality and also have noticed that colors are washing out in different quadrants of my screen...i don't keep the phone in a breast pocket, it sits in my pant pocket so i wonder if that and the added heat from my body, are factors for my screen sucking so bad....

in which case i'm weary about getting the i330 because i'm wondering if the same screen problems will occur...ugh...that is why i'm leaning towards the treo 300...
    hmm
    any input?

oh and still can not get the damn phone to sync up with my HP 752n running windows XP home....
    ugh
    and i tried the suggestions of reinstalling over and over and over, still no success i'm even using desktop 4.1

help!!!
    there is no spoon...

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    I always keep mine in my pocket, of suits and khakys I haven't noticed color degrading. I have noticed battery deterioration in useful time adn i have had it for 8 months, but i noticed the battery losing time after about 4 months.

other than that, i drop mine all the time, on concrete its a little dinged and some paint scratched but its been a champ except for the battery life.

Personally i am going to wait for the 7135. the only reason (that i know of) to get the 330 is 3G it doesn't have any amazng features. and 3g has been less than exciting so far.

The mp3 player and the SD slot (with the hope of playing with some blue tooth, like maybe in my car) would make it worth the upgrade.

A
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

To Greatness, I Aspire

Wink Treo 300....nice........

I got to try Treo 300 this weekend. I was skeptical going in but impressed going out. I have my heart set on Kyo 7135 but Treo is compelling. Why?

Keyboard...i am really more data user than voice
    View screen with closed lid
    Smaller than I300 and 7135
    Lighter than I300 and 7135

The Kyo is a marvel but does the extra size and weight justify the need for an mp3 player. Let's see, at work 9 hours a day, travel 1 hour a day, home 6 hours a day, sleep 8 hours a day. Not much time for portable mp3. The Kyo just looks like it is going to be huge.

Why am i hesitating?
    No backup battery
    Cost of 3g service (i use my voice minutes today no problem)
    Digital only (with sprint's coverage I think i need analog)

I330
    Not in the game. I love my i300 but am not going to spend another $500 for the "exact" same phone and just get 3g speed (at more cost)

is it true that the new Treo 300 has push mail???

it's expensive to be a geek

After being unable to sync (OSX Desktop 4.0 or later) for months now i gave in and went with a Treo 300. Sprint has a special that gets you a car charger which ought to solve the non-removable-battery problem. I was the first in Chicago to get the i300 and i still think it's a fine phone, but syncing is far too important to me. Regarding the 3G pricing, As competition heats up, prices will drop and there is always the hellish option of using the retention center to back out. As far as digital only, i've only made analogue roaming calls 2 or 3 times in the last 7 months. The Treo isn't as well built as the i300 but who cares when i'll likely be buying yet another more "advanced" phone in 6-9 months.
    Best Regards,

DC2light

FYI, The "Treo" is not a Blackberry. The whole name "treo" is a fraud. It doesn't have "push" email any more than the i300 does. All it has is internet service, like the i300, and Treo Mail, which is the exact same thing as Sprint Business Connection.

Re: it's expensive to be a geek

Originally posted by dc2light
    I was the first in Chicago to get the i300...
    Thats funny. I thought I was...

HEY do you guys know if the cingular treo 270 is the same as the treo 300 (sprint version)?

and yes i have to agree that the treo (we have a 270) in the office, does not seem to be as well built as the i300
    there is no spoon...