+ Reply to Thread

Why go high-speed at all?

I'm trying to think through why I would get high-speed data access. Here's the way I see things:
    Sprint is marketing the hundreds of little text messages and emails you can send with 8Mb. It seems to me that tiny little text messages are perfect for the old, slow data speeds. A 20 word message might get to you in 1 second instead of 4 maybe (I haven't done the math). Where you really see the speed gains is with large files.

I'm not thinking of video or music. I'm thinking of real types of files that business travellers like me will want--powerpoint presentations, word docs and PDFs. A quick look at my hard drive reveals a 600k PDF of a product spec. I wrote, an 3Mb RFP in Word, a 2Mb tech. spec., etc.

These are the files I forget to take with me, and my 8 Megs will be used up in under a week.
    If I'm stuck with using the data for email, I'll stick with the slow network!

Any thoughts?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I use the current, slow network the way you do. I also use my I300 to view my email. If I have attachments, then I hook up my PC to a faster network. Sometimes, if I am desperate hook up my laptop to the phone. It is real slow and often times out on bigger attachments.

I think for email, the faster network is real good.

I already posted my remarks somewhere else about the pricing issue. I don't understand Sprint's marketing message at all.

Basically, I concur with your thoughts. As a business traveller, I am going to stick with my current plan until a killer new phone and an unlimited rate comes out.

-Jerry

bwh
    A related question is why go medium speed? If Sprint will have 2Mbps service in 2004 (published schedule) or 2005, and the 1X phones will be obsolete, then why not suffer a little longer until better apps and higher speed get here?

I use the I300 for e-mail, but can't get attachments. I use it for web sites, but can't access some secure sites and some other sites (with heavy JAVA maybe??). In my experience, the MS products don't do any better. Until the apps are as robust as on the desktop, I'm stuck with the desktop anyway, and I can't see buying a 144kbps modem at these prices.

Originally posted by bwh
    A related question is why go medium speed? If Sprint will have 2Mbps service in 2004 (published schedule) or 2005, and the 1X phones will be obsolete, then why not suffer a little longer until better apps and higher speed get here?

I use the I300 for e-mail, but can't get attachments. I use it for web sites, but can't access some secure sites and some other sites (with heavy JAVA maybe??). In my experience, the MS products don't do any better. Until the apps are as robust as on the desktop, I'm stuck with the desktop anyway, and I can't see buying a 144kbps modem at these prices.
    2004 is a long ways away. If speed does not matter to you stay with 2g. You are right. The new sprint pricing plans are a ripoff. If you have money to burn and like new toys like me, then go for it. As is always the case, the early adopters are going to subsidize the cost for the rest of the people who will get this stuff later on at a cheaper price. It is the price you pay for being on the bleeding edge. If it is not in your budget or does not make econocmic sense for you, then vote with your pocket book and let sprint know what you think about their way overpriced plans. Personally I think it is a bit ridiculous myself, but I enjoy new gadgets and I'm willing to pay the price.

Originally posted by doctorc

If you have money to burn and like new toys like me, then go for it.
    I guess I might be thinking like you if I hadn't just quit my job to finish my PhD

Does anyone know if the new J2ME capable phones will work with the slow network for downloading java games and such?