+ Reply to Thread

Sprint 3G - early user's experiences

I looked and found nothing mentioning 3G experiences.

I am very concerned because one person in another post reported speeds slower than his old 2G connection. How is this possible!

I really hope it is equivalent or better than a home dial-up connection.

So, what are people's experience?

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"

Yes

i reviewed my limited 3G experience, please see teh post-
    Previous Post

I was not impressed, at all

A
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

Your review has me a bit confused.

At one point you say that the load speed of CNN is equivalent to your current connection. Of what connection, the I300 2G technology or at home?

Because...later you say that you think the 3G speed is as fast as your home connection, which is not DSL.

However, the current 50-60kbps of the 3G is only claiming to be about as fast as a home connection.

That's a lot faster than the old 2G technology, though. I get more like 8kbps (14.4 optimum). If the 3G is really at 50kbps or higher, you should notice that the speed on your Treo is now just as fast as your home computer.

If that is the case, I'd be super impressed. This means I can connect my laptop with a treo or other 3G phone and have the speed of a land line. That is all I expect right now.

The old 2G technology is really very slow when I hook it up to my laptop.

Could you clarify?

PHO
    Sorry, I apologize, i was at work and writing fast to get back to a project.

the new 3G that i tested, (mind you it was a very brief test) was, in my opinion, Slower, than my home dial up connection. I have a brand new laptop at a home i get download speeds of constant 5.3k which is the fastest dialup/ home connection i have ever used.

This seemed a little bit slower than that, and only a little bit faster than the painful i300 2g connection. At least, not worth spending money on. Of course, if your dependant on portable internet access, and you use your phone to gain that access, then i would think any improvment over the painful 2g is an improvement. Personally, i just have an AOL account, because just about anywhere in the country you go, you can get access numbers.

But for someone who is an occasional user at this point of the phone interent services (heavy user in the spring months, so i can wait) I was highly dissapointed.

Am i getting something confused?

is it 50 kbps at Home Dialup? and 50 kBps DSL speed? you know what, they are really screwing this up if thats the truth, First they tought the wonders of Wireless Web, which while neat are relativly useless, then its "high Speed' Which is probably equivilent to what we expected with Wireless Web. They are going to have a tuff time selling this crap with making expectations so high.

Also, Sprint says "always on' technology, I had to dial up to get WWW access with Blazer, and it took just as long to dial up.

my one consolation is, i now have fantasy football to attract my attention away for a few months and maybe when i pick my head up from that, they will have worked this out.

Aaron
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

In the Network Preferences/Options menu, you can select to connect to the Network when you power on your Treo 300. When I do this, I am always connected (2 little green arrows next to the signal strength meter). I access Blazer without the annoying 3 or 4 attempts to successfully sign on like I had to do with my I300. This part in MUCH faster with 3G. The actual downloads are faster than my I300 but not "Blazingly"-so.
    Bruce Sneddon

Broose puts it best, but in my area I would say that 3G is at least 3 or 4 times faster than 2G. I live in the bay area, CA. Maybe it depends on the area your in although I don't see why it would. Needless to say I am very happy with my Treo and my 3G. Also, people are saying its expensive, but I don't think its any more expensive than Sprints old plans. I'm paying $69 for 800 anytime, 5200 night/weekend, and 8megs of data (I was paying 5 something before so 10 more dollars ain't bad to me). 8 megs is plenty for me. Something that people may not realize is Blazer stores the web pages you visit, so going back to those same web pages anytime after that hardly uses any megs. Very happy.

PHO
    Originally posted by Brooose
    In the Network Preferences/Options menu, you can select to connect to the Network when you power on your Treo 300. When I do this, I am always connected (2 little green arrows next to the signal strength meter). I access Blazer without the annoying 3 or 4 attempts to successfully sign on like I had to do with my I300. This part in MUCH faster with 3G. The actual downloads are faster than my I300 but not "Blazingly"-so.

Cool, that is a great feature. Are you noticing that it uses additional battery life? and would it then be possible to set up a pop mail box that would check for pop mail at intervals?

this would be a good thing

Again, re: my connection speed. I only played with it for a few minutes so its not a very accurate and well tested opinion, however, after seeing the demo in the store, i wasn't motivated to go run and get one

The always on email will be a seller for me, but at this point my plan is to wait for the 7135.

Also i have to say that i found it wierd working with the treo and not having the buttons on the screen

Aaron

www.grtalk.com

Clarification on speeds

When you connect with a dialup modem the 56k "speed" is not the transfer speed, just the baud rate. The actual transfer rate is something like 5 - 7 k(??). A 56k broadband connection, however, represents the actual throughput that your pipe can transfer.

Just what I remember from way back, so don't take it for the gospel. Hope that clarifies the whole speed thing.

56k Baud rate is equal to 56,000 bits divided by 8 bits in a byte equals 7,000KB of charactor thruput. Remember it takes 8 bits (0 or 1) to make one Byte (ASCII Charactor). If speed is quoted in KB (note upper case B), it generally implies 1,000 Bytes a second. If speed is quoted in Kb (note lower case B) it means 1,000 bits a second. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Bruce

Originally posted by bsgray
    56k Baud rate is equal to 56,000 bits divided by 8 bits in a byte equals 7,000KB of charactor thruput. Remember it takes 8 bits (0 or 1) to make one Byte (ASCII Charactor). If speed is quoted in KB (note upper case B), it generally implies 1,000 Bytes a second. If speed is quoted in Kb (note lower case B) it means 1,000 bits a second. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Bruce
    But don't you use the standard 8-N-1 for this meaning 8bits, no stop bit, and 1 parity. Or maybe I got the parity and stop bits backwards. But in any case you can generally use a factor of 10 when distinguishing between the two. The 56Kbits/sec is about the same as 5.6KBytes/sec. More or less. Close enough for hand grenades anyway.

But in any case, it's gonna take them some time to get the equipment handling the throughput. We will probably have to just wait and watch it evolve,,, just like everything else. <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

OUCH!!!

Cool A weekend with the Treo 300

This MobileTechNews review of the Handspring/Sprint Treo 300 calls out some minuses and some plusses.

http://wapsight.com/info/2002/08/18/232615.html