+ Reply to Thread

Question Is Anyone else Any Better?

OK, I've really really really had it with Sprint's poor service!!

I can hardly ever get through to a live CSR and even when I do, I seem to know more about their service then they do! I've sufferd over-charges for the past three months. When I request an itemized bill, even offering to pay the $5 fee, they NEVER send one! Are they padding my bill?? Hiding new fees??

I have 3 phones on a family plan. Using the on-line account manager (on the rare occasion it is available) to track usage is an absolute joke!! I can't decipher ONE phone's usage much less the sum total of all three! I've even hear that *4 will now count against your minutes!! WHAT CRAP!! The My Invoice and Pay My Bill icons don't work for me, even when logged on as the primary phone!

The web mail interface has changed 3 times in as many months. What drives me crazy is it is getting WORSE each time! As of this writing, I can't open or save attachments!! I'm certainly glad I'm not trying to run a BUSINESS thru their service, like some other unfortunate soul I know!

I'm even contemplating paying the early termination fee and religating my I300 to a PDA only device!!!!

Anyway's.. enough of my rant. My real question is, is anyone any better?

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

is anyone any better?
    The answer to that depends widely on your needs, coverage in your area, how you use your minutes, voice/data use ratio..... etc. There's been a lot of discussion on this board about Sprint's lousy CS and I agree but I haven't heard anyone step up & say that any other service is much better. With a rapidly changing technology and user base, the entire industry seems to be experiencing major growing pains and if anyone is gonna get the 'short end of the stick' it's gonna be the already signed customer cuz the carriers are scrambling to position themselves technically. That said, you can bet I'm gonna do lots of research and comparison before I sign on the dotted line again. Features like the ability to roll unused minutes into the next billing period (Cingular) will loom large for me as will the available smartphones for the service (I don't see one yet that will move me to jump). Good Luck & let us know what you decide & why......thx
    .....beam me up Scotty...

Re: Is Anyone else Any Better?

Originally posted by Haywood
    OK, I've really really really had it with Sprint's poor service!!

I can hardly ever get through to a live CSR and even when I do, I seem to know more about their service then they do! I've sufferd over-charges for the past three months. When I request an itemized bill, even offering to pay the $5 fee, they NEVER send one! Are they padding my bill?? Hiding new fees??

I have 3 phones on a family plan. Using the on-line account manager (on the rare occasion it is available) to track usage is an absolute joke!! I can't decipher ONE phone's usage much less the sum total of all three! I've even hear that *4 will now count against your minutes!! WHAT CRAP!! The My Invoice and Pay My Bill icons don't work for me, even when logged on as the primary phone!

The web mail interface has changed 3 times in as many months. What drives me crazy is it is getting WORSE each time! As of this writing, I can't open or save attachments!! I'm certainly glad I'm not trying to run a BUSINESS thru their service, like some other unfortunate soul I know!

I'm even contemplating paying the early termination fee and religating my I300 to a PDA only device!!!!

Anyway's.. enough of my rant. My real question is, is anyone any better?

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
    Preach it, brother!

After suffering through their incompetence for years, I have finally abandoned Sprint. In addition to their customer service, I was sick and tired of their rate plans. I need daytime minutes ... not 7,000 night & weekend minutes. After all, I'm a businessperson ... my clients are doing business during the daytime.

Here's what I did ... sold my I300 on eBay, but instead of paying the $150 termination fee, I called and told them I was going to cancel, and when I talked to retention I agreed to their $10/month emergency-only plan. I activated an older dual-band Qualcomm QCP-2760 I had laying around in place of my I300. So, for $120 for the year I get an emergency use phone with a larger coverage footprint than my current carrier (instead of paying $150 and getting nothing).

I went with a Treo 270 on Voicestream, and have been extremely pleased so far. Little or no wait times for CS, polite, intelligent responses, and good rate plans. I've got 3,000 anytime minutes (granted, it's a regional plan) for $59. As soon as my cable modem gets delivered, I'm dropping my secondary landline and stripping my primary landline down to the most basic package possible. I'm going totally wireless, baby!

I'm sure you could find a good dual-band SPCS phone on eBay pretty cheap, if you chose to do the same. For basically the same amount of $$ per month, I've tripled my anytime minutes, and have two phones on two separate carriers. It's the best of both worlds.

Good luck, whatever you choose. I was with SPCS since the end of '98, but just simply couldn't take it anymore.

-Doug
    Last edited by dtoombs; 08-20-2002 at 12:47 PM.

Ya but dtoombs you don't have any long distance do you? I used to be w/voicestream when that plan DID include domestic long distance (making calls from your home area) but then they switched it and told me I had to step down. That's when I had it with them, paid the fee and switched back to sprint. Voicestream was the same for me too in the beginning. (I switched FROM sprint to voicestream, now I'm back on sprint) They were GREAT, awesome service, smart people. Informative answers. As the months rolled on it took longer to get ahold of someone, the agents got dumber and dumber... I'm starting to develope a theory that in the world of customer service, be it wireless carriers or pc makers, you slowly move down this 'quality tier' of agents over time. I figured once they've secured that they've made enough money they need/want to from you, why give a crap about you anymore? It worries me. Anyways...
    Haywood, first question for you: how do you go about getting to Sprint CS? My first reccomendation that might or might not help is don't even THINK about trying to call during peak/rush hours. I've waited on hold for almost 45 minutes once. Almost any time I call either earlier in the day or later on in the afternoon/evening I've had no troubles. My quickest way to someone that can help is 1) Telling Clair to stick it 2) saying "billing and payment" 3) saying "customer service representative." It seems as though any time I've said that I get through really quick. As if that since it's a matter of money that you're calling about, Sprint (and any other company, mind you) will leap to their feet to help. Try it out. Just my two cents.
    --
    if dreams are like movies
    then memories are films about ghosts

I'm starting to develope a theory that in the world of customer service, be it wireless carriers or pc makers, you slowly move down this 'quality tier' of agents over time
    yup be..... but that only indicates poor management. You put something in place that works, document it, and maintain it. If the Director of CS at Sprint has ever heard of ISO9000 or CMM, you can bet it's not on his to do list. I'd love to see some evidence that one of these providers is in some way dedicated to delivering a quality product...you can bet they would get my bucks.
    .....beam me up Scotty...

BTW: Just in case some people have not heard of this: YES *4 will be incurring minute charges after August 28th. That's right, that means it will now cost you minutes to check your minutes! AND Sprint is enforcing some sort of $3.50 bill for certain customer service calls "because we are trying to keep up with the industry standard," whatever that BS means. The first article I read about this mentioned that the subject was never notified about these charges and she acrued almost $12 in a month for customer service calls. When I asked a CS agent directly about them THEY say the automated system will prompt you as to whether or not you want to pay the $3.50 if it will ever be applied to your call. What their criteria for this charge is I do not know, that's been hard for me to find but... just watch yourselves.
    I wonder what would happen... I just wonder, if everyone got together and decided to NOT use their cell phones one day. Or more importantly: cancel their service. I wonder what Corporate America would do...
    --
    if dreams are like movies
    then memories are films about ghosts

Administrator

Arrow

yes, other compaines such as AT&T have done this.

this charge is for the lower credit rating customers (high risk customers or customers who had to pay a deductible or who have a low credit rating). this cost is to offset the CPGA (Cost Per Gross Addition) which is already 300 to 400 dollars per new sub for a particular carrier. sprint pays an average of $350 per sub.
    Last edited by Marctronixx; 08-20-2002 at 09:18 PM.

Administrator

Arrow

I just wonder, if everyone got together and decided to NOT use their cell phones one day. Or more importantly: cancel their service.

the former part of your statment wont hurt them much as most of us pay for our minutes in our package already(unlike it would, say, the gas stations). the latter part of your statement would do the most damage...

azs
    If no one has mentioned this before, here are 2 tips:

The red phone in the Sprint stores are supposed to be direct hotlines to a CSR. No waiting. Sure you have to get to a store and sit there while you rant to an opperator, but you dont' have to go through 20 minutes of automated commands either.

Another tip is that ~only~ Spint's cancelation department is really authorized to give credits or refunds.
    I've gotten so fed up that I was ready to cancel. I got to speak with the cancelation (recovery) department and got them to comp me a whole month's bill.

Basically if when you call (and finally get a live human being) ask to be transfered to the cancellation dept. The person you're talking to will 'try' to help you. Disregard them and ask again to be transfered.
    When you get the CanDept, tell them your list of problems/complaints and that you are fed up with Spint and heard a lot of good things about (provider x).
    He'll ask you what it would take to keep you on. Ask back 'what is he offering.'
    He'll offer anything from 10 - 50% of you bill. Tell him 100% of one month and you'll give them another chance. And don't back down. You'll get it.
    After that, take the name of the opperator you spoke to, and double check your bill to see that it was really deducted.
    In my case they took 50% off my bill for 2 months instead of all off 1 month.

Hope this helps somebody.

~azs

You guys, Sprint is THE BEST!! I just talked the collections department guy into giving me 300 more minutes and free PCS to PCS calling. I used to have 1000 anytime and 6500 night and weekend minutes for $75. Now I'm gonna have 1300 anytime, 6500 night and weekend, and free PCS to PCS minutes. It was too easy. But now I'm thinking I should've asked for more.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Originally posted by Makaveli
    You guys, Sprint is THE BEST!! I just talked the collections department guy into giving me 300 more minutes and free PCS to PCS calling. I used to have 1000 anytime and 6500 night and weekend minutes for $75. Now I'm gonna have 1300 anytime, 6500 night and weekend, and free PCS to PCS minutes. It was too easy. But now I'm thinking I should've asked for more.
    Yeah! You need to go after the 1st incoming minute free and N&W starting at 8PM. I have that along with 1,300 anytime, 3,000 N&W, 500 PCS to PCS, wireless web, and voice-command for $60 a month.