+ Reply to Thread

New i300 Owner - Questions for you guys

Heya guys....this is my rookie post to the forum...I am the proud new owner of a refurb i300 (comes with 90day samsung warranty) for $200.

I've been needing a combo phone and after a pile of research this one caught my eye the most. Currently sprint is offering a $59 plan for 800 anytime / 5200 N/W and 2MB transfer. Is this a reasonable plan? I know that the retention plans are best, but I'm a new customer....will I be able to bargain (ie no activation fee and maybe only a 1 yr contract?). Will the fact that I didn't buy a phone from them (they don't have to lose money subsidizing the phone cost) be a valid bargaining chip?

Re: the phone itself...I love it...while the interface could use a TAD bit of work, overall the phone is terriffic. I plan to install a good bit of software once I get everything up and running, however the refurb phone I got does NOT have a cradle. Does anyone know the best means to get a sync cradle? I've looked on Ebay but there are few if any....

Thanks in advance....<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    ======================
    matt savard
    creative director
    http://www.gravity-interactive.com
    digital marketing solutions

You might try asking a local sprint store for any they may have around. Some members, including myself, have lucked out that way. Where did you buy the 300?

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    If your not on sprint yet, you can't get a retention plan

also, the price you quoted was for "Sprint Vision/ 3g Services" the i300 is not capable of doing 3g. You can get one of sprints regular plans and put "wirless web" on the phone for 5 bucks extra a month.

Most of us on the forum are waiting for the next great phone to be out hopefully within the next few months. The new generation phones will be "3g" which will lte you get data speeds to your phone equivilent to a home dialup modem. (as opposed to the 14.4 painful speed we have now).

Many here are happy with the i300 compared to what is out right now. However, i forsee many poeple jumping ship when either the Bluechip or the kyocera 7135 come out. there is also another version of the 300 due out called the 330 but some of us don't think the 330 will ever see the light of day.

Aside from faster internet access (and more expensive plans) the new phones promise to have more color in the screens, SD expansion slots, Mp3 Players, Flip Phone Design, ect ect.

If you are a palm user who will only occassionally need some internet access. Then you might just be well off having the i300 because you paid a good price for it.

The other option you have, if you dont' want to wait for the next generation phone is to get one from like a circuit city or comp usa that has a replacement plan. You can get store credit to get the new phones when they come out. Youl have to shell out more cash up front, but, you get it back in the next phone. At the rate we are going, if you like high speed internet access, there will be a major shift (requiring new phone purchase) every 18 months or so. So if you get into that Circuit City thing, like i did. You put up 500 bucks and then you just have to pay 69 or 59 i forget everytime the new technology comes out and your up to date without breaking the bank.

re: the cradle, i called my local sprint store and told them i needed to buy an extra one and they gave me one for free.

good luck

and make sure to do a search for Jake hack library on this board and you will find some great stuff

Aaron
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

Aaron,
    thanks for the reply....very helpful...

I realize the i300 isn't the latest and greatest....but I really don't have a need for bleeding edge technology right now. I DID get the i300 with the intentions of using wireless web, so I WILL have to get that feature add-on. For $5/mo how much data transfer do you get? roughly how many pages (avg is around 20-30k/pg correct?) will i be able to view in the blazer browser? Just wondering....
    ======================
    matt savard
    creative director

mjorange

I picked up the unit on ebay...they routinely go for $200-$250

I was happy with this unit because of the 90 day warranty from samsung. I have never had a problem with purchasing refurbished goods before...hell my camcorder (jvc dvm70u) was refurb and it's served me nicely for almost 2 years now and is showing no signs of slowing down.

Only drawback has been the cradle issue....but I am going to folllow you guys' advice and call around to the stores here and see if I can weasel one out of them.....
    ======================
    matt savard
    creative director

PHO
    With Wireless web, you get unlimited data but it counts against your minutes.

the new 3g stuff will be data priced.

and yes you can get regular websites on blazer, but no java or complicated stuff. Which means, i can't use stat tracker on yahoo to keep track of fantasy football

One Day

A
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

sweet....
    Okay....so with blazer you can browse any website (with standard html) against your minutes? That's pretty slick. Why would anyone use the SprintWeb WAp browser then?

Maybe you can't use stattracker, but we can still view our team pages which are kept SOMEWHAT up to date....can make roster moves on the road as well.

Very nice.
    Last edited by mattsavard; 08-22-2002 at 01:42 PM.
    ======================
    matt savard
    creative director

PHO
    yes, you can definatly see the team pages, make roster moves, ect.

I used to use the sprintweb (wap) for a couple things, some email. and ebay, but you can get direct apps for your palm for aol, aolim, ebay. Unfortunatly they dont' (and i think they should) have a fantasy app for palms

But i happen to pull up my yahoo page last night to show someone my team, and it worked pretty well

Aaron

www.grtalk.com

to avoid the activation fee of 35 bucks, why not just activate the phone off the sprint website. in fact, you SAVE teh 35 bucks, and in addition, they actually PAY you 10 dollars for having activated it online. I havent been back to the site to check up on this offer since the vision plans started, but I am pretty sure its still available.

the sprint browser is useful for quick access to certain information. since the connection is quite slow, it is beneficial to quickly access info such as weather or stock quotes rather than using the blazer browser and waiting for all the graphics and extraneous text to load up.

Ahhh gotcha.... makes sense...

I really appreciate you guys helpin me out with these basic/newbie questions....
    ======================
    matt savard
    creative director