+ Reply to Thread

Question Palm OS 4.01 Upgrade?

So I just received the Palm OS 4.1 software that I ordered from Palm. When I go to install, however, I have to select a handheld model. My only choices are: PalmIII, PalmIIIx, PalmIIIxe, PalmIIIc, PalmV, PalmVx. I tried PalmIIIc (for color), but it crapped out when trying to do a flash update.

Has anyone upgraded to Palm OS 4.1? If so, how do you do it? I thought I saw some posts from people recommending the upgrade on this forum, so I'm wondering if there is some different software I need to acquire. Thanks for any help!

Jim<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

You can upgrade the Palm Desktop to 4.01, but you cannot upgrade your i300 to Palm OS 4.0 or 4.1. We will need Samsung to release a Palm OS upgrade (if it is even possible) before we can move to Palm OS 4.0 or 4.1.

Palm Desktop is the portion of software on your PC.

Do we know if the I300 is flash upgradeable?

Administrator

Arrow

early reports i heard (back in june,july) said it would be, but lately i have seen that samsung has stated this phone is not able to be flashed...

Hmmm. I think we might be witnessing a perfect example of the divergence between how an engineer interprets something and how someone in marketing/legal/management interprets something.

To an engineer, "impossible" literally means, "can not physically be done, because something in the hardware's design presents an insurmountable barrier to attainment of the goal. For example, trying to generate sound from a device with no speaker or other audio hardware. And even then, he'd be looking at the serial port and considering the possibility of using it to feed a bitstream to an external Farnsworth (MP3) or ATRAC audio codec + amp... By their very nature, engineers are always looking for ways to conquer limits and work around them. These are the people who always want to know "why", so they can find a creative way around the problem if "why" isn't a good reason.

To legal/marketing/management types, "impossible" simply means "not supported or not allowed". Whether something is physically possible is irrelevant if it's neither supported nor allowed. These are the people who ask, "why ask why?".

Now that I think about it, every mention by someone in a position of intimate knowledge about the i300's guts has always found it necessary to mention that the i300 requires a Samsung-specific version of PalmOS and won't work with a generic 4.1 upgrade from Palm. I'll have to go back and re-read the posts, but it's possible that the messages I've interpreted as "the i300 has no flash ROM" might, in fact, be carefully-constructed half-truths intended to be interpreted as "the i300 does not have flash rom", but really meaning "the i300 has flash, and Samsung COULD release a 4.1 update if it wanted to, but it won't do it regardless of how big a tantrum i300 owners throw, so by decree its OS is non-upgradeable by reason of refusal"

I'll admit that from now on, I'm taking everything Samsung says with a grain of salt after reading elsewhere (pdabuzz.com) that, despite claims to the contrary, the i300 we own probably CAN do 800mhz CDMA (in Verizon-land), and the mantra we've interpreted as "the Sprint i300 is physically incapable of 800mhz CDMA" might really be "the Sprint i300's firmware is designed to pretend that it can't do 800mhz CDMA, but if you know the right unlock code, it's entirely capable of it. But we're going to keep repeating the mantra that the i300 does not support 800mhz CDMA, because by definition the i300 is today a Sprint-only phone, and Sprint does not use 800mhz CDMA"

God, it's fun when the lawyers and marketing departments get to run roughshod with a product...
    Last edited by miamicanes; 12-05-2001 at 11:58 AM.

Has anyone tried a program like JackFlash or FlashPro on the i300? I'm not sure how these programs determine if there is flash memory available but it would an interesting test.

Hi ,
    Can anyone send me the latest PalmOS software for my PalmV?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Administrator
    clearly you have an internet connection, so go to palm.com and get it.

Actually the palm OS is not able for download for free. Palmone charges a fee for the whole 4.1 upgrade kit. Unless you mean you need desktop software then go to palmone.com